“Good food, but atmoshere lacking...”

Crown at Woodbridge
Reserve with OpenTable
Crown at Woodbridge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #29 of 96 Restaurants in Woodbridge
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: The Crown at Woodbridge offers all that is great about escaping to the country, with all that is good about staying in a wonderful market town. With old fashioned inn keeping in a modern setting, we boast ten magnificent boutique bedrooms, a bustling bar and a real Suffolk food experience. Open for breakfast, brunch, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner, head chef Darran Hazelton showcases all that is great about Suffolk's local produce, reflected in a food offering which includes a mix of rustic and refined dishes, with simple, high-quality ingredients coming alive on the plate. The Crown's bustling cocktail bar serves everything from local beers and ciders to the latest trend cocktails, all alongside an extensive and well-balanced wine list. The upstairs of our historic building has been transformed into luxurious yet affordable bedroom retreats, created by award-winning London based designers Bentheim, with goose-down pillows, crisp cotton bed linen, underfloor heating and high-quality touches to match.
Reviewed April 15, 2014

We were new to Woodbridge and The Crown was recommended by a local boutique. Sadly we were not acknowledged by a member of staff as we entered and eventually found the courtyard at the rear of the building. The weather was amazing for April so we chose to eat outside.

The service was slow and rather matter of fact, although I was impressed by the waitresses knowledge of the menu.

The Crown is lacking in character , slightly over priced and a little unloved, however it's saving grace is the food. They seem to have an excellent chef as my risotto was the best I have tasted in a while.

As we finished our meal we found ourselves surrounded by uncleared tables despite a possible owner/manager sitting next to us working on menu's. Other customers had to sit at uncleared tables whilst he looked on and did nothing about it. Not the type of service I would expect considering the prices.

1  Thank Anita V
crowngarth, General Manager at Crown at Woodbridge, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your lunch visit and thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you felt that the service was a little slow for this I apololgise. Having at that point just taken over the running of the business I understand that there were a few things that needed my attention regarding service and the physical side of the business. These issues have now been addressed and I hope that if you return you will have a better experience.
with regards to your comment about someone sitting outside writing menus I can only assume this must be someone from another business as we certainly would not be doing this in our own garden and during service time.

Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

We came across this place and nearly went across tne road to Prezzo. We are really glad we didn't. Relaxed and friendly, comfortable, contemporary surroundings, the food was excellent, with plenty that my wife and I could have selected. Would recommend it and will definately return.

Thank you very much for your review, the team and I were delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed April 11, 2014

My first visit to the Crown and I was disappointed. The building itself looks OK and is well presented inside although the small private dining room lacks atmosphere. I thought the food offered sounded good but it did not deliver on the plate. I was expecting more than well presented pub food. I had the duck and black pudding faggot which was essentially just a very large, very average, dull tasting faggot!

Thank you for taking the time to review The Crown at Woodbridge. We are now operating under new management and hope that you will return and give us another try

Reviewed March 30, 2014

I took my friend here for afternoon tea and we were well looked after. No one rushed us and we were served earlier than the time I had booked. The sandwiches and cakes were tasty and well presented and we had a glass of prosecco on arrival.

1  Thank Dylan65

Thank you for taking the time to review The Crown at Woodbridge, we look forward to welcoming you again

Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

The main bar area and restaurant was buzzing, great atmosphere, but we were sat in a little side room and it was freezing as people kept leaving the door open, that was the only down side, the food and service was excellent and we will defiantly return hopefully sooner rather than later!

1  Thank Notsominijo