“Disappointed”

Ranked #11 of 96 Restaurants in Woodbridge
Cuisines: Indian, Bangladeshi
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: We are a family run restaurant. The Royal Bengal first opened in 1982 by Mr Malik and his close friends. The dishes we serve have been specially selected. As well as having the classics we also have dishes you may have not come across before. Whether you choose to dine in or order a takeaway,we look forward to serving you.
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Having lived in West London for many years and experienced authentic Indian food we were expecting similar but unfortunately this was not the case. It may be that the chef takes into account western palate demands but it certainly was not authentic Indian food as we know it.

ash a, Manager at The Royal Bengal, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Thank you for your review although I was disappointed to read that you didnt think the food served to you was not authentic. I can assure you the food is authentic dont think you'll find too many Indian restaurants with a goan menu especially in suffolk (Although many indian restaurants taken dishes from our goan menu but will not be authentic in how its made and definitely will not taste how it should) I would love for you to try us again sometime you can always contact me on theroyalbengal@hotmail.co.uk Ash.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a very nice Indian restaurant right in the centre of town and close to the river and marina. Always busy, and justifiably so. The menu is a combination of standard options as well as some more interesting specialities, all served efficiently and well presented.

10  Thank AlanDMLondon
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We ate here about six months ago and gave a well deserved top review, so were saddened on our return recently to find things have gone downhill somewhat.
The food arrived quickly enough but the first annoying thing happened after I had put a portion of rice on my plate and moved the remained to the side of the table, one of the waiters took it on himself to pick up the rice bowl and pile more food onto my plate!!! Why he did this is beyond me but I made my displeasure known.
The chicken kurma I so enjoyed last visit was a pale shadow of its former self with a very thin, watery sauce, and the sag aloo was just a few chopped potatoes with a bit of spinach dropped on the top with no attempt made to create a tasty side order.
We had to ask twice for an additional drink and felt that not enough staff were on duty to cope with the demands of the number of diners.
It is always disappointing to find somewhere you have so enjoyed in the past let things slide but that is our experience here.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

We were in Bengal tonight (28th Feb) and were sitting in a quiet corner table. Food was excellent, the Waiter who took the order was very polite and professional, we were enjoying our food, talking to each other quietly. The restaurant was very quiet, three more people came into it and the short waiter (I do not know his name and he was not very polite or friendly) sat them down on the table next to us (even though the rest of the restaurant was empty). These three people were talking to each other very loudly and consequently spoilt our meal and our time at the Bengal. We are very disappointed, when we paid our bill we complained to the Waiter who told us his name is Raj and he apologised for his colleague's actions. If we do come to the Bengal again I hope that this will not happen as it was not busy tonight and the other people could have been seated elsewhere in the restaurant.

Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend was very unorganised and didn't book a table anywhere, neather of us drive, we were walking around woodbridge trying to find somewhere to eat, just as we were about to give up we found the royal Bengal. We decided to give it ago, and to our surprise we have a exceptionally good meal, The food was delicious and excellent portions enough just to fill us up, we got naan bread on the house as we did not order any. The only thing I could really moan about is the staff made me feel a little uncomfortable by watching me eat, however it was nice that they were checking up on us making sure we had a good time. When we asked for the bill they came out with a lovely rose and a box of chocolates for us. I cannot wait to go back again:)

5  Thank Ilikefoodokay