“Eggs Benedict were hard boiled.”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Finlays Joint Cafe

Finlays Joint Cafe
Ranked #18 of 41 Restaurants in Palmerston
Cuisines: Cafe, Australian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Eggs Benedict were hard boiled.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

I was very disappointed at my recent visit here to help a friend celebrate her birthday. We were a small group and were seated quickly however after this the service was very slow. The length of time between ordering and receiving was huge, especially for a pot of tea. Unfortunately my eggs benedict were over cooked, both eggs having hard yolks. The wait staff were nice and friendly when clearing our table and the scenery was nice. I will however be looking at dining elsewhere next time.

• Visited April 2013

Oxley, Australia
“Thank goodness I was with great company, the food was so, so!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

A group of 6 of us arrived for an 8:30 booking & were seated right away. The 4 of us that were there ordered drinks while we waited for the other 2 to arrive. Around 30 minutes later our teas & hot chocolate arrived....service was very slow.
The rest of our group arrived & we jumped in line when it was short, at times the line was 10 deep & the owner was not the happiest lady to deal with when finally at the counter, even giving one of our group a sarcastic remark about her order.
Three of us ordered eggs Benedict & I was the only one who had a tiny bit of runny egg....the other 2 orders were rock solid (not how EB is supposed to be served). Around 6 months ago I came across the same problem with overlooked eggs, spoke to them about it, seems they haven't lifted their game. It looked like the bacon on my friend's breakfast special was deep fried, much of it too hard to even bite into & was left on her plate.
Whilst it is a convenient place for us rural people, I think next time I will suggest we try somewhere in the city by the beach!
I did have a lovely birthday breakfast, but this was mainly due to the company I was with, unfortunately not the food. Such a shame as this place could be great if the time it takes for food to come out was quicker & they adjusted some of their cooking methods!

• Visited April 2013
Darwin, Australia
“Overpriced, bad service, overlooked eggs.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

If you are going to charge cafe prices, then you'd expect table service. And being in Darwin (very hot place) and sitting in a cafe and paying through the nose, icy water served in a GLASS would be nice. Ask for one and be rudely directed to fetch your own in a poxy disposable thimble of a plastic cup. Go here only if you don't want to venture into town and you don't fancy Maccas. Only thing it's got going for it is the giant dinosaur (no credit to them, it belongs to the Stone Mason from next door) and I hate to credit to them, but the iced coffee I had was passable. Don't expect sympathy with a food allergy either, heard the owner say that food allergys were made up nonsense.

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank Anton E
Darwin, Australia
“Slow service, bad food and too $$$$”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

My hubby, son and I decided to head out to Finlay’s for a Sunday breakfast – more importantly, I wanted a nice breakfast that I did not need to do the dishes for!

We arrived to a packed car park but found a spot around the back and quickly spotted an outside table in front, looking out to the big dinosaur keeping my 3yo amused for a while. We decided on what we were having, raising our eyebrows a bit at the price, but hey – it was a treat, so we looked the other way.

I went up to order (no table service) and after 25mins in the line (not kidding!) I almost hugged the grumpy woman that said a dull “Yes?” as her opening line to take my order.

Drinks came out straight away, about half an hour before the food, so we had finished our drinks before the meal had arrived but there was no way I was lining up for a another 25mins to get more drinks, so we just had water from the chillier in the corner of the restaurant. The food service was very slow and when it did arrive, I felt my heart sink. Hubby ordered the Big Breakfast and it looked like it should be called, “The Big Breakfast – on a diet!” as there was one tiny sausage, two prices of shortcut bacon, a hash brown, two eggs (must have been quail eggs as they were tiny!) and two BURNT! pieces of toast. My son had the kids pancake and he scoffed the single flat jack for $10 down rather fast (FYI – I would order a adult size if you have a child older than 4yo). I had the poached eggs with mushrooms and I paid $5 extra (YES - $5 EXTRA!) for hollandaise sauce. When it arrived, with the single teaspoons worth of hollandaise sauce drizzled over the eggs I wanted to weep – especially as I had said I would like lots of it! Then worse again, the eggs were so overcooked that they verged on hard boiled, even more heartbreaking when I had asked for runny poached.

It was an $80 breakfast for the three of us with only one drink each.

Will I go back – doubtful.

• Visited January 2013