“Slow service, bad food and too $$$$”
Review of Finlays Joint Cafe

Finlays Joint Cafe
Ranked #21 of 45 Restaurants in Palmerston
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 22, 2013

My hubby, son and I decided to head out to Finlay’s for a Sunday breakfast – more importantly, I wanted a nice breakfast that I did not need to do the dishes for!

We arrived to a packed car park but found a spot around the back and quickly spotted an outside table in front, looking out to the big dinosaur keeping my 3yo amused for a while. We decided on what we were having, raising our eyebrows a bit at the price, but hey – it was a treat, so we looked the other way.

I went up to order (no table service) and after 25mins in the line (not kidding!) I almost hugged the grumpy woman that said a dull “Yes?” as her opening line to take my order.

Drinks came out straight away, about half an hour before the food, so we had finished our drinks before the meal had arrived but there was no way I was lining up for a another 25mins to get more drinks, so we just had water from the chillier in the corner of the restaurant. The food service was very slow and when it did arrive, I felt my heart sink. Hubby ordered the Big Breakfast and it looked like it should be called, “The Big Breakfast – on a diet!” as there was one tiny sausage, two prices of shortcut bacon, a hash brown, two eggs (must have been quail eggs as they were tiny!) and two BURNT! pieces of toast. My son had the kids pancake and he scoffed the single flat jack for $10 down rather fast (FYI – I would order a adult size if you have a child older than 4yo). I had the poached eggs with mushrooms and I paid $5 extra (YES - $5 EXTRA!) for hollandaise sauce. When it arrived, with the single teaspoons worth of hollandaise sauce drizzled over the eggs I wanted to weep – especially as I had said I would like lots of it! Then worse again, the eggs were so overcooked that they verged on hard boiled, even more heartbreaking when I had asked for runny poached.

It was an $80 breakfast for the three of us with only one drink each.

Will I go back – doubtful.

1  Thank Tegan C