“1960 Britain standards that should be reviewed”
Review of Rutland Arms Hotel

Rutland Arms Hotel
Ranked #58 of 91 Restaurants in Newmarket
Cuisines: American, European
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I was one of the 9 family members looking for a meeting place in Newmarket following a very successful wedding ceremony.
We had all dinned very well over the previous 2 days and wanted a good outside venue in Newmarket (we were staying in various B&Bs around Newmarket) before taking off for different parts of the South.
It was extremely hot and sultry and no-one wanted too much to eat ( a blessing in disguise).
The outside tables and courtyard at the back of the hotel were ideal. The restaurant staff could see us from the bar area (open door); not that it made any difference..
Whenever we left the table and approached them they took our orders but never came of their own volition to give real service.
The limited orders for food that we gave were served promptly but the standard was 1960's Britain. The fajitas were bland, and the chips one step off cremated! The haddock was passable.
At one time, a man in a shirt passed within 15 feet of the table and shouted in his stride 'everything alright' without waiting for a reply: I am not surprised that the standard is 1960's
whilst the staff were polite and cheerful, With planning, I would not go there again.

Reviewed June 16, 2014

I'm torn between average and very good as it's neither; it's good but not great. Having said that, on the whole I enjoyed my meal, very tasty seabass but with the most bizarre fondant potato I've ever eaten. It was more like a jacket potato with the skin taken off and it was huge.

The service was quite casual, there was very little atmosphere and although the building is beautiful it promises more than it gives. So it's ok and the food's not overpriced but there are other places to eat in Newmarket and next time i'll try one of them.