“VERY DISAPPOINTED”

and 1 more site!
Ashley House
Ranked #10 of 11 Newmarket B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 24, 2013

This property should be classed as 'Serviced Rooms' not B&B. No welcome. No-one around. Very impersonal. We booked a twin room but were given a double plus sofa bed. The sofa bed was not at all supportive. We had travelled 3 hours to get there. Normally you can request some fresh milk in a hotel or guesthouse but absolutely no one around. Hardly any information in room. We found the internet code in the end behind the TV (!) but it had limited access. Breakfast was adequate but why play Coronation Street in a small breakfast room on a Sunday morning? (sorry Corrie fans). We didn't get offered a choice of brown or white toast and basically the lady said 'what do you want for breakfast'? No fruit or yoghurt seemed to be on offer. Coffee served with grains floating in our cups - which was changed when we requested it to be. The service could have been far more friendly. Sorry won't stay again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Holtfamily2012

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We had one night in the Ashley House, the booking procedure went smoothly enough but as we were staying for the races the rooms were £20 above what was advertised, the lady I spoke to was very nice and knocked us £5 off per room as we were leaving early and didn't require breakfast, but paid £55 for a single and £85 for a twin, we duly received our confirmation E.Mail with the door codes, which worked fine, the "hotel" is clean and relatively comfortable, the mattress was a bit lumpy and appeared the cheaper type, I suppose it is a business and not a charity but they certainly get the maximum for what's on offer, we actually never saw another living soul during our stay but that suited us as we were out by 07.10, can't comment on the breakfast, but someone must serve it to you, all in all it was adequate enough,without the personal touch.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I ask myself - how can you be in the hotel/bed & breakfast industry which is all about customer service and NOT be there to meet let alone greet your clients. The operation of this B&B is nothing short of a shambles. The only thing I was impressed by was the booking I made by phone at 10.45pm the day before my stay. This phone call advised that my card would be deducted the full cost of the stay in advance. While I was advised that they "weren't always there" I had rather assumed that this was not to be taken quite so seriously. I arrived after a 3 hour drive feeling tired only to find that I had left the top copy of the email - the ONLY sheet with the "codes" to get into the place at home. I then rang the bell - no answer NO ONE was there. I reached into my pocket to call the help number only to find my battery flat on my phone following the lengthy trip. So I could not call for help. So no way in and all paid up made me very angrey to say the least!! Just by absolute chance a passaby had a phone and was able to call the number to get help for me. I finally got in and went to my room, it was basic to say the least. The matteress was hard and in the morning I couldn't have a wash in the basin as there was no plug and it was cracked. This was probably caused by the loose glass shelf above it which was tilted such that anything placed on it slid off the shelf and into the basin below. I was woken by a cleaner at least I have no idea who else it was and didn't have time to find out where breafast was or what time as of course all of this information was on the email I'd left behind. YOU CANNOT RUN A BUSINESS IN THIS CACK HANDED WAY. It relies on far too many things that is totally the responsibility of the client with little or in my case NO back up plan should this go amiss. THIS IS NOT PROVIDING CUSTOMER SERVICE AT ALL. If you cannot be bothered to turn up and see your clients then frankly you don't deserve to have any!!!

Room Tip: I cannot think of anything to recommend
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Mark e
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We were kept outside because their fax machine was faulty - even though it was -4 at the time. This bed and breakfast does not have staff on site and you can tell. The furniture was cheap, the TV and the internet did not work in the upstairs rooms 8 and 9 even though they claim to provide business accommodation. The bed was clean but the mattress cheap. Room 9 has not cold water and the water tank is very noisy very early in the morning. The breakfast and breakfast staff were fine, in fact best part of the whole stay.

Room Tip: Dont do it
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Lyn4713
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Booked this as a last minute trip to see friends and most others were fully booked, booking went through fine,on way to the place we received a text with codes for front door and our room(we were a little disturbed about that) would have been nice to have known when we booked! The mr even went in to check the place out before he'd let me set foot in the place. Turned out just fine though,room was clean and tidy had everything we needed. It's not our usual kind of place but I'd be quite happy to stay there again.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 22, 2012

All the single rooms are loft conversions with very low ceilings and limited space. I had trouble standing up straight in the majority of the room. The hotel is also rather impersonal - there is no reception desk, no communal areas and no-one to greet you when you arrive (not even to give you a key - you are sent a door code in advance). That said, the location is quite good and some of the double rooms I saw looked better. I would still say it is overpriced for what it is.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank LondonParcero
Reviewed June 30, 2012

we used this hotel as a stopover for our evening at the races. I could imagine parking would be hard, but we luckily got a space just behind the hotel. The hotel was basic, but nice and clean, everything you need for a night or a few nights stay. It's in a great location just on the edge of the high street - really good for all the pubs and restaurants. The breakfast could have been awkward as there were only 3 tables, but we just arrived as someone was going. Would go back....

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple