“I Would not stay here again” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Rutland Arms Hotel
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Newmarket
Taunton
“I Would not stay here again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2010

I booked in on a Sunday. £130 room only. I expected a very nice hotel for this money. The opposite is the case I am afraid to say. There was no one at reception when I arrived so I patiently waited for 5 minutes for someone to come. I was not made to feel very welcome but was I was 'processed' quickly. The room was shabby and dusty. The toilet was broken. I paid £8 for internet access but my room had such a poor signal I had to keep going out of my room and sitting on the stairs to get a signal. Dinner was awful and over priced. I chose mussels to start but they were so small I could hardly find them. It came with a bread roll that had been microwaved, resembled a rubber ball and was unedible.The roast pork dinner was all reheated and horrible. My complaints were met with a shrug with no offer of compensation of any sort.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank davod113
OHIML, General Manager at Rutland Arms Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2010
Thank you for your comments, .

We apologise that no one was there to greet you on reception and that you felt that you were not welcomed, as i would hope that all of my team would make every effort to welcome guests to my hotel and i am sorry you did not feel this .
With regards to your dinner complaint this charge was taken off your bill and apologies were made on check out, and i have since discussed the way this was handled with my late duty manager from Sunday.

we would also like to clarify that the rate was not room only and did include breakfast, and that this was a discounted rate at a peak time of year in Newmarket

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2010

The rooms themselves are not to bad and the location is quite good bring on the high street, although parking can be an issue.
My main annoyance was the food. My wife and I had a lunch, all that was offered was sandwiches or main meals, being a lunch time and having to be somewhere we opted for a sandwich each. What a disapoinent! Eventually the food came and the bread on my sandwich was well past it's best. The salad was limp, the portions were very small and all for nearly £6! I returned my sandwich and I didn't have an apology and when another came along it was almost as bad!
With all this in mind we didn't eat in the restaurant (very high prices) and ate in a vey nice local place down the road.
As a hotel it's ok for a night but the food and service is not up to standard.

• Stayed October 2010
1 Thank Ollyjeff
Thank you for your comments, further to this i will be asking our Head chef to look at the Main Bar Menu offering at lunch time in order to offer more alternatives to our guests.

Travelers are raving about these Newmarket hotels

UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2010

Having read some negative comments on here we were somewhat apprehensive about staying here. We were paying a much reduced rate through Sunday Newspaper tokens so didnt expect to get a very good room.
We were though very impressed with the room although it was up a few stairs and along corridors but passing exposed period timbers ( nice touch).
Dinner was superb and breakfast impressed. If we wanted we could find fault but they would be niggly items and very few. Would not though have liked to have paid £165 but certainly good value if you can get a room for £100 ish.
Everywhere was clean and staff very friendly. Our room overlooked the courtyard and was reasonably spacious with seating and flat screen TV.
Car park entrance may be tight if you have a very large car but I had no problems in my Lexus.
Will agree that WI-FI is very expensive.
Hotel could not be more central and we enjoyed our stay

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2010

Luckily we paid a discount rate, because the advertised £165/night is astonishing. Absolutely astonishing! For that you could stay in numerous 5 star hotels around the world. If you did, you would likely find a warm welcome at reception (Our receptionist dished out wrong keys to wrong people, and once I had trekked back to sort it out, offered no apology. As it turns out the room really was a trek from the reception so round trip was 10 mins!), tasteful decor (rather than a clash of various chintz and otherwise shabby fittings), a clean room (most of it was fine, but the carpet had not been cleaned in a while) and so on. I would like to see a better breakfast - these days you expect to see an effort towards higher quality local produce (especially as there is a farmers market next to the hotel!) rather that the rather low quality sausages etc we actually had. I would expect wifi to be free (especially at the room price) and not to pay £8/day for it.

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank aliceontheroad
OHIML, General Manager at Rutland Arms Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2010
We are sorry that you did not receive a warm welcome or any apology from reception, as i would like to think that all of my team would offer this as standard, so thank you for highlighting this issue and please be assured that we will be addressing this with our Reception team, I cannot tell which room you stayed in however we do have several different standards of room available and are sorry that you were not happy with yours, however i can assure you that every room carpet is hoovered as standard every time a room is made up.
With regards to our Breakfast we do offer a significant selection of both hot and cold breakfast items, and have been complimented on our new Breakfast offering since its introduction in August, however i will discuss your comments with my chef. and will pass your comments about our wifi charges on to our head office, as these are rates are not set at a hotel level.
Braintree, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2010

Hi All

I am shocked to see all the bad reviews regarding this Hotel. I do not have any negative feedback for this hotel.

We Stayed for the last week end of racing in August.

We had a double room booked direct through the hotel website. The room was great and just what we needed. Large room overlooking the fore court at the back of the hotel. Lovely comfortable bed, Very clean and good size. The bathroom on suite was very clean and a good size. Frre coffee making facilities, Hairdryer and ironing board.

Free carpark included with the Hotel.

Breakfast was great. We ate on the Saturday morning before we went to the races. Full English, toast, Tea or Coffee, Cereal, Fruit, Fruit Juice included. Couldnt fault breakfast and plenty to keep you going for most of the day.

We didnt eat in the Hotel in the evening but we have done so in the past. very nice food but limited menu.

Location of the Hotel is great right near the end of the High Street. Loads of pubs and Resturants with in a very short walk.

Free shuttle bus to races down near hughes Electrical or you can take a taxi for around £8. each way.

No complaints what so ever and this is our 4th visit to the Hotel and hopefully many more.

Please ignore previous bad reports about this hotel and i have never found a problem eith this hotel. great place and will definately stay again.

Cheers all and ask me any questions if you wish.

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2010

We stayed here in June and couldn't have been more dissapointed. The tiny room I had was so bad it is not easy to say what part was worst. The sink bowl was melted (?) and the counter broken. The shower dial has fallen off so you cant tell how to work it. The towels were thread bare and dirty. The carpet and bed spread were stained.
The food was very average and the breakfast very poor. I complained and was told the room would be re-cleaned, no offer of a move. Just to finish off an appalling stay the amenities were also off for a day. Hope the hotel improves on reading this and that I save a trip for another unsuspecting traveller until they do.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Weary_Traveller045
OHIML, General Manager at Rutland Arms Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2010
Thank you for your comments, please accept our apologies that you did not enjoy your stay with us, i will be addressing your concerns with our laundry supplier, and would like to inform you that we do run a rolling program of refurbishment and as such are currently looking at our bathrooms in order to assess where replacement of items is necessary.
We have also since your stay changed our breakfast standard and have a new team in the kitchen.
With regards to amenities being off - we do from time to time experience mechanical breakdowns that affect the services we offer and this is beyond our control, however we do always try to rectify the issues as quickly as possible where there has been a problem.
Knowle, Solihull
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2010

Booked this hotel as we were visiting Newmarket races. Paid £165 for a suite inc breakfast. The Rutaland Arms is on Newmarket High St with a small free car park round the back of the hotel. Suite 111 was a good size, it had a large four poster style bed and seating area with views over the high st and a nice size bathroom. If your a light sleeper be warned that the bleeping from the pedestrian crossing would seriously annoy you!
The hotel itself has a rustic English charm about it.

The breakfast was excellent. When we arrived it was really busy but the staff soon found us a table. There was a very good choice of juices, cereals and fruit but the main thing was the speed of service considering it was busy. Within 10-15 mins our tea, toast and very tasty full english breakfast had all arrived with a smile.

If your going to the races the course provides a free shuttle sevice. If you turn left out of the hotel the pick up point is about 100yards down the High St outside Hughes electrical shop.

Another recommendation is the Fountain chinese restaurant at the opposite end of the High St to the clock. Very good food which tasted even better after a few winners paid for the bill :)

Overall a good hotel with friendly staff, right in the centre of the town.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newmarket
Best Western Heath Court Hotel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,107 reviews
Tuddenham Mill
Tuddenham Mill
#1 of 1 in Tuddenham

Been to Rutland Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!