“Recommended but Average”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 5, 2014

First visit to the Restaurant after a day at the Newmarket Races .Very busy so if used i would pre-book especially on busy days as limited area ,Luckily I chose an inside seat so could observe the entire restaurant and avoid the hussle and bussle of waiter movement .The table next to us was taken by a large sometimes noisy group but who could challenge that as they were the connections of the Days Big race winner..
Even though this group occupied the majority of the waiters time we seemed to be given a prompt and attentive service .The meal was well cooked and tasty but rather on the small size and expensive although i was a guest and not the host on this occasion so my comments were limited.
I did not use any facilities or pay the bill so I am unable to comment on previous reviews but as far as the quality and taste it was good and iI would visit as a couple again on a non-racing day

There are newer reviews for The Fountain

Reviewed April 12, 2014

Let me start by saying we really enjoyed our food. The service was good as well. The only issue was when we got our bill we were over charged by quite a bit and it was not handled as well as it could have been. Would return for the food but was left with a little bit of a bad taste.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

Went as a couple having been as a group with well known jockeys and trainers. What a different service you get when going as a couple. Slow service. Overpriced. Stuck in the corner . One dish not as ordered. Different food quality, different service . much prefer the Lucky Star in Cherry Hinton. Our meal cost £90 for at the Fountain!! Never again

2  Thank Kerry R
Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

Went with 3 friends for lunch .
We were greeted by a waiter seated at one of the tables who at first seemed not to notice us in his empty restaurant before calling "can I help you?" from the other side of the room. Having shown us to a table and slung some greasy menus in our general direction he ambled back to his seat without asking if we would care for any drinks or wine. I took the opportunity to visit the the men's room to wash my hands before dining. I can honestly say that I haven't been in such filthy facilities in an eatery anywhere in my life! Even the carpet to the toilet door is tracked with who knows what from the lavatory floor! That was enough, I asked my friends to take a look before vacating the Fountain and suggesting to the idle waiter that he clean up his act and his filthy scruffy restaurant and facilities. We adjourned to the delightful Thai restaurant a couple of hundred yards away towards town and had a delightful meal with attentive staff and spotlessly clean surroundings! It also had plenty of diners which the Fountain did not !

2  Thank Neilpimpernel57
Reviewed October 10, 2013

This is a place you have to go to in a group of people when at least one of them is known to the management! otherwise you will get ripped off .We have been to the Fountain on a couple of occasions and the results varied form exceptional to wish we had gone somewhere else.
If you are couple on your own you will pay a fortune for a very standard meal.It is a very clicky place they don't seem to remember you have been there before, the service is very poor because you are not in the so called (set) the food is very good if you can find someone who is a regular or even better if they are known to racing in Newmarket.

The decorations are a bit old hat and the toilets are well , you might say worse than a public toilet in a busy rail station. Needs a good coat of paint and a little bit of TOC.

overall we had a nice meal but for what we had I thought it was very expensive, the service was quite slow, it was quite busy that night but if you know you have tables booked surely you would get more staff in to serve ?

I just felt the management sucked up to people he knew,because the day we went it was a race day in Newmarket and tables for 2 were overlooked. If another quality Chinese restaurant were to open in the town i think this place might not last long .
have a look in the cambridge area and you will find the same meal for half the price racing or no racing!

3  Thank filetop