“Good food but a bit drafty!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Lancer

The Lancer
Ranked #18 of 87 Restaurants in Newmarket
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Delivery, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: One of the most popular restuaurants in Newmarket and should be on your site already. We are a family-run business established since 2006. We cater for all your requirements, we also do takeaways and deliveries including Just-Eat. We cater for large groups and any special occasion from stag-do and wedding party to birthdays and valentines day. Please book in advance. Our 30 year experience chef will warm up your taste buds and provide you with a magnificent and truly exquisite palette - try for yourself, and come down and visit The Lancer - we promise to make your dinner unforgettable.Note: We have a total seating capacity of 60, so any large bookings are welcome and MUST be booked in advance. Kurzi dishes and Kachi biryani must be ordered prior to booking.
Chernivtsi, Ukraine
“Good food but a bit drafty!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

Had a really nice meal, reasonable price but cold down stairs and drafty when the door opens! nice atmosphere, great service

• Visited December 2012
Anfor U, Owner at The Lancer, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
I'm pleased to hear you had a nice meal and thank you for the compliments. I'll take on board that it was cold and and drafty when the door opened. The heating was on low, not high and I'm sorry you felt cold and next time you can have a table upstairs. Thanks.

Newmarket, United Kingdom
“Excellent first class service and enjoyable evening meal!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

would deffo recommend this place to anyone i have been here many times with family and friends on many occasions which i have had no problems with what so ever.they have seating upstairs to which i didn't realise so you can book big party's to i booked a meal for 25 we sat upstairs + we had one whole to our selves which was really nice of them to do. at the end we all got complimentary drinks because we are such loyal customers.

3 Thank Tom s
Anfor U, Owner at The Lancer, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Sorry for the delayed response in getting back to you. Me on behalf of my colleagues would like to thank you for your presence and your amazing feedback. You are all friendly and good to talk to and it was nice meeting you all. I hope you enjoyed the free drinks, I know I certainly would. You are our regulars whether as a group of friends or family and enjoy having you so we look forward to seeing you again, again and again.
Woking, United Kingdom
“Lovely food, even managed to book at table last minute on race day.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

First, but definitely not last visit, I found this restaurant to provide good food at reasonable cost, much cheaper than in the Surrey area, averaged out with drinks at less than £20 per head.

2 Thank Wendy303
Anfor U, Owner at The Lancer, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Thank you for your response. I am pleased you had found our prices affordable and we look forward to seeing on your next visit.
Newmarket, United Kingdom
“They get it right every time.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

I have visited the Lancer at least once a month for the last 4 years and never had meal or service that has disappointed. I've been to all the Indian restaurants in Newmarket and have the choice of any of them but the Lancer is the one that I return to time after time.

4 Thank Henry R
Anfor U, Owner at The Lancer, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Thank you for taking your time and sharing your feedback. You are a regular and enjoy seeing you time and time again.
Suffolk
“Not Sure”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

Have been twice to this restaurant in two weeks and we ordered the same food both times and they were both completely different! First time: King Prawn Puree used meaty king prawns with a nice spicy sauce and the Chicken Madras( I always try this at an Indian as I think it is a good benchmark) was very tasty and used the thigh meat which has much more flavour than breast meat. 2nd time - translucent plastic-like prawns(cheap) and only breast meat in the madras in a fairly bland sauce. Maybe a different chef was on duty, but there should be continuity with dishes.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank BurySt_EdmundsTrevor
Anfor U, Owner at The Lancer, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
I am extremely sorry to hear that you visited twice and on both occasions food tasted different, I do apologise. Food shoud always be consistent. We use the the best brands for king prawns and prawns and for all of our ingredients to cook the food, but at that time we did have a different chef and he's cooking style was different and not the same, I am sorry. A year on we have a different chef (owner) who has over 30 year experience. He uses the best of spices and herbs to fill the aroma of the palette.

If there was any other issue please do address it to us vis email, bookings@thelancer.co.uk
I understand it's been a long time in replying to you, though I would like you to be happy so I can resolve any issues if there is.

We hope to see you again soon.