“Excellent location, good value and none of the chintz!”

Bedford Lodge Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Newmarket
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Excellent location, good value and none of the chintz!”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Stayed here with my family following a day out at the races. First impressions are excellent. You approach the hotel through a quite imposing gated entrance that opens up to reveal the hotel grounds and the hotel itself. The hotel is a leisurely walk from the town centre and has more than ample free parking. Reception staff were efficient at check in without being abrupt and didn't bombard you with endless snippets of information, rather they just said to ask if there was anything you needed.

The main hotel is decorated in a quite contemporary, and it must be said, quite refreshing way that has none of your usual country house chintz and tat cluttering up the place. It also smells wonderful with a varied array of scented reed diffusers throughout the reception and restaurant areas.

We stayed in a family room which was in reality a junior suite with a sofa bed for the children. The room was a good size, the décor and bedding was top quality and the bathroom was both modern and spotlessly clean. The Molton Brown toiletries were an added bonus as was the complimentary fruit basket and mineral water. I have to mention the tea and coffee making facilities which had some of the best tea bags I've ever tasted.

Whilst the hotel itself was excellent value at £210.00 for a family room that slept 2 adults and 2 children comfortably the bar and restaurant bill made me wince. In fairness it held no real surprises as prices are clearly displayed, but when your bar and food bill exceeds your room bill........

There's not much for the kids to do, but there is a large outdoor dining area, weather permitting and several large lawned areas that have keep off the grass signs that my kids took great pleasure in ignoring.

In all, a great hotel that I would happily revisit.

Room Tip: If you are booking a family room check if it has a separate bedroom area? If not its worth while pa...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Brett F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Stayed for one night. The Hotel was exceptionally clean and so was the room. Made use of the spa facilities and had meal in the restaurant. The food was well presented and tasted ok but the portions were very small and we where still hungry! The staff where helpful and friendly. We found the restaurant uncomfortable as it did nt have air con on and it was so hot. We finished meal quick so we could sit outside. Breakfast was good, but we where hungry!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the executive suite 3 for one evening only and we booked the twilight package at the spa. We actually had the spa to ourselves from around 6pm onwards which was particularly nice. All the facilities at the spa were lovely and thought out brilliantly, the staff were especially helpful and attentive. While we were out at the spa someone had been back to our room to fold down our bed covers and leave us a pot of sleep balm to put on our temples before sleep. I thought these added a lovely touch to our stay. I particularly liked having a tea and coffee pot as well as a kettle to make a nice brew when we got there. There was plenty of little things in the room like a sewing kit, plastic bag, shower cap and a selection of magazines to read which made the stay feel very lovely. I was very impressed with the restaurant food, the presentation alone was beautiful but most importantly tasted fresh and delicious. The staff were more than happy to accommodate special requests or extras. If all your after is a bed and a buffet breakfast then I would suggest finding a cheaper alternative but if you want to feel that little bit special and treated well for a reasonable price then I would highly recommend your stay here. I will definitely be coming back again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Suffolk
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We enjoyed our stay a Bedford Lodge. The hotel was very clean, and the staff were polite and helpful. The spa was lovely and the air conditioning was an added bonus as it was very hot. It was definately the best hotel we have stayed in this year.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Buckingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

We spent 2 weekdays here in late August. A non race week.

We enjoyed our stay. The modern landscaped hotel is large and is very well appointed and clean throughout, although there could be a bit of a trek to your room, although porterage service is available. On the plus side - quiet air conditioned comfortable room, comfortable bed; but the window opened too; friendly polite staff; good size pool; very good breakfast (we had it in the relaxed restaurant and by room service, which was timely); good afternoon tea (but pricey). Good location - near to town and in the thick of the racing community (our bedroom overlooked the adjoining stables/training yard - which was interesting). We'd return.

The car park is large but the hotel/spa/gym/restaurant are very popular(for good reason) so parking, even for hotel guests can be problematic (especially arriving back late in the evening). The road entrance to the hotel estate could also be clearer, being in a very nice tree lined main road. We found someone's dirty laundry in the chest of drawers, which was not very appealing. There was also a mix up of our afternoon tea order. But for these items we'd give the hotel 5 stars.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Englishgent55
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I recently returned to Bedford Lodge Hotel following its expansion last year and the opening of a sensational new Spa this July. My room in the newly built area was spacious and still retained all the contemporary charm of the other rooms, with a few added features. Breakfast was as good as I remembered it from my previous visits and a tour of the spectacular (no time to use it!) Spa left me planning my next return. The staff continue to be courteous and attentive. Keep up the Good work Bedford Lodge.

Room Tip: They are all uniformly good - the better ones cost a bit more and are worth the upgrade!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
london
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Stayed here 2 nights for a wedding in the area.I booked three rooms and they were all much the same, but I did have to ask for a bed cover as it was missing. Our room was on the ground floor and had a view of the beautiful gardens.Bathroom was OK, very clean and with Molton Brown toiletries and large fluffy towels, however, the shower(over bath) was pathetic and leaked.The "finish" in the rooms was average.
The bar area and restaurant were very pleasant.Food was delicious and service great, lovely staff! Breakfast really good.
Didn't use the pool, so can't comment on it.
I have to say that I expected the Bedford Lodge to be better than it was, especially considering the amount of money that I paid.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newmarket
Tuddenham Mill
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
#1 of 36 in Cambridge
Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection

Been to Bedford Lodge Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!