“The beds are heavenly”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Newmarket
Manchester
“The beds are heavenly”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

I have returned from a short stay at this hotel. I have not been for the last year but I was confident that it would continue to be a reliable hotel to visit. I stay here with work and I am lucky to have such a wonderful place within striking distance of my southern office.

The hotel is amidst the lovely area of Newmarket which is all geared up for horses and the roads around the hotel horses are top banana so be prepared to make way for them. It's a great sight seeing the majestic parade in the morning as they they head for the gallops.

There are lots of good things to say about the hotel. They have a fantastic restaurant as well as a bar area for more informal food. A nice area for sitting outside on a sunny evening eith a glass or two. The bedrooms are on trend with modern plum shades and a turn down service is offered, a rare feature these days as places cut costs. The highlight of my stay at The Bedford Lodge was and always has been the beds -they are truly the best ones I have ever slept in. I know I am not alone and colleagues agree with me that you feel fantastic cosseted in the comfy feather fantasy. You must try them I know you will be delighted. I must also add that the sound proofness of the rooms is really good and during my stay I heard nothing from other guests.

As this time I was stayisonarone I had room service, which was chosen from a wide selection from the room service menu. I had soup and a roll and sandwich and my only slight gripe is that the bowl was rather shallow and thus not as much of the lovely tomato , garlic contents which was delicious. To follow I had the beef horseradish sandwich on granary which was equally delightful.
Although I was there on business the hotel is really well suited to work and a getaway maybe to see the sights. So I would highly recommend them , my stay was great from beginning to end.

I have eaten in the main restaurant before and can totally recommend it

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Jobyhere

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Wokingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Booked a table here for lunch. Beautiful building with an impressive entrance and surrounded with landscaped gardens containing many rose bushes. We arrived early and so enjoyed some wine on the terrace where the menus were eventually delivered to us. We chose the set menu which had several interesting choices at £21.50 for 3 courses. We were slightly worried at first that only two other tables were occupied in the restaurant but the others soon filled up. The service was excellent as there were two or three very charming girls dancing attention. The starters were enjoyable although no bread or toast was served with the pate. The main course was served on ridiculously large, odd shaped plates which made the portions of meat look smaller than they were. There was only one small dish of mixed vegetables to share amongst the four of us. However, overall, we found that there was sufficient food. The desserts, especially the pannacota with honeycomb, were delicious. The wine soon pushed up the bill. Beware of the service charge and the donation to charity which they include!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Clonark
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Rooms have very comfortable beds with luxurious bed linen. Stylish (though not comfortable) bar area. Nice (albeit pricey) restaurannt - good service. Bar area could be more comfortable and welcoming.

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank BiggestHank
Kent, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Service faultless - From, reception, restaurant to housekeeping, excellent staff. Very clean and comfortable hotel. Tried restaurant on one night, food very good.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KT106
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I have stayed here several times and used the conference facilities for business. The service is absolutley faultless. The food is always top class. The rooms are very tasteful and it offers amazing value There is nothing flash about the Bedford Lodge but everything they do is done to perfection. I can't recommend it highly enough. I have been trying to think of a negative but have failed to find one!.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank bishybarnaby
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2012

Bedford Lodge is a lovely looking hotel set in fine grounds and close to the town centre and not far to the horse racing. It is probably the best hotel in Newmarket although for a racing Town there aren't that many to choose from.
However the hotel does lack any sort of welcoming feel, its maybe because the bar is small and the restaurants are split but we have stayed here twice now and it has been the same both times. The other problem is that the hotel is set up for weddings and large parties and so if your not part of that then you get squeezed out somewhat.
The rooms are reasonably spacious, we stayed in the better standard room which had a good size bath , the shower worked well and the Moulton brown products were the same as we use at home so great. The swimming pool was meduim size and not well used, its a shame you have to go across the lawn outside to get to it but that was to do with the building works going on. That said we had to do that last time, shame there wasnt any slippers, looks odd walking across the courtyard in bathrobe and shoes!
We booked to eat in the restaurant but as there was a party going on we were moved to the side dining room, they had told us before so no problem. It seemed to take an age to get seated which meant we were last to eat. Its always sad when the staff re arrange and indeed remove all of the other tables and chairs from the room to reset for the next day while you are eating your pudding. It was made worse when the bill was thrown in, i guess they wanted us out! The food was fine, the service indifferent which i guess is why i scored it average. It could be so much better with some more attention to detail but as its the best to offer in Newmarket i guess we will stay again.

Room Tip: If there is a wedding on avoid the courtyard area as it can be noisy when taking photos etc
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tdp16
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We stayed at the Bedford Lodge Hotel 9/10 June and also had friends join us for dinner at the Squires Restaurant. The reception was friendly and efficient, the room - standard, was spacious, exceptionally clean as was the rest of the hotel.The bed was comfy and we had a great nights sleep. We had pre dinner drinks at the bar, and although there was a wedding on at the time, we were not left unattended and the bar staff friendly and efficient. Dinner was the best we have had for a very long time, service excellent, and the food amazing - breakfast was equally as good. We would definately recommend this hotel for a weekend break and although we paid £165 for the room and breakfast, a tad higher than we would have liked of course, the overall experience was value for money and worth it. And yes, we would return again - maybe to enjoy the Spa this time.

Room Tip: Room 121 - standard room but beautiful view of the green courtyard.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank MINXIE_10
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newmarket
Tuddenham Mill
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
#1 of 36 in Cambridge
Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection

Been to Bedford Lodge Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!