“FANTASTIC FOUR DAYS” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Newmarket
Morecambe
“FANTASTIC FOUR DAYS”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

We came here to celebrate my husbands 60th birthday, and our wedding anniversary. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel very welcome. I was told we had been upgraded, but when we arrived at our room it was very impressive, we had a lovely suite, which I must say was very nice and really made our weekend. Granted they do look as if they need a lick of paint but as we left the workmen were moving in to do this. I would say I think if they had a fridge in the room and safe this would be a great improvement. We were over the car park which as you can imagine does get a little noisy. Breakfast was lovely. Staff were lovely and we very much enjoyed our stay. The only other thing the tv buttons need labelling up we had three remotes in our room, which was a little confusing, we had to get the nice maintenance man to come and give us a lesson re tv and air con.

Room Tip: We did a have a suite which was lovely when there for a long weekend. Over the car park does get a l...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Buckingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 1 night. Room was huge, well furnished with a sofa and nice bed. Probably one of the best rooms I have stayed in. Having grown up in Newmarket I was looking forward to some famous Newmarket sausages, but was very disappointed to find that the only option on a Sunday is a carvery. The food was adequate but the service was lacking somewhat. The staff say all the right things, but their responses seemed aotomatic and lacking in genuine interest. A few final touches were also missing. The chef had to be summoned from the kitchen 3 times to serve us. There was only one spoon available to help yourselfto vegetables, and there were no spoons at the dessert counter. The location of the hotel is very close to the gallops, so if you like horses you will see plenty, but be prepared for lots of noisy tractors going up and down the road outside the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for room 43
1 Thank Graham B
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed one night after a day at the races. This hotel is in a nice quiet location, compared to the noisy High Street on a Friday night.
The staff were very friendly and cheerful. The room itself was decent with a nice comfy bed. The bathroom could do with updating. Plenty of choice of food at breakfast and once again, helpful staff.

1 Thank Dawn C
Croydon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

I stayed here for one night, and because I was alone, the cheapest option was to go for the single room. Hadn't slept in a single bed since my early teens but what the hey, I thought!
Check in staff were fantastic - I had cheekily asked for an early check in (12 instead of 2) so I could ditch my stuff and freshen up after travelling from London, before heading to my destination in Newmarket. They had received this request earlier in the week and were prepared for me, no quibble and no extra charge, my room was ready and I was promptly checked in and found my way to my single room up on the 2nd floor. Signage leaves a bit to be desired as the signs, arrows etc don't indicate room numbers so I ended up having to ask a porter, who kindly told me the way and also offered to carry my bag. :)

Room was dated as others have mentioned but in truth, it was quite quaint and perfectly acceptable. Carpet and decor and furniture looks like it would be more suited to an old peoples home but it had everything I needed - very spacious, very comfortable bed, nice bathroom, clean, flat screen TV with digi and free wifi which was excellent.

I slept like a log, had a nice hot deep bath in the morning and was on my merry way. I would gladly stay here again because despite the dated look, it is more than made up for by the lovely staff and the fantastic location for central Newmarket. I had no idea this hotel was here but its nicely tucked away just 2 mins from the main Town Centre. Only one other small issue was that when I arrived back at about 11pm, there was literally only 1 car parking space left which I was lucky to get. I'm not sure what I would have done otherwise, as I had felt like parking was ample when I first arrived at noon.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

Stayed 1 night. Reception was helpful and cheerful. I was booked in within a minute and sent on my way. The room was very dated, torn net curtain, holes in the bed throw, old head marks worn into the bed head but the bed was comfy. I ate out in the evening but the breakfast was fine.
Great Western need to spend quite a bit on a refurb as it does look very tired but I cannot fault the staff or that I slept like a baby.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed one night and all I can say is the staff were very helpful and friendly we arrived before check in and they let us have a room to change in and leave our bags, when we went back later our bags were in our room ready for us. Room was very comfortable and clean admittedly the hotel does need a bit of updating but it didn't put us off at all. Breakfast was very good staff were friendly and helpful restaurant was very clean, bar area and patio very nice to sit in and bar was reasonably priced will stay again if I'm in the area.

• Stayed August 2013
Ripon, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

standard room we stayed in was very shabby no opening windows a corridor in between, bathroom shabby old fashioned, pretty awful really.
Other parts of the hotel we saw ie stairs - carpets could do with replacing the place is shabby and very tired.

Dining room staff were not particularly friendly we felt, in fact we commented on this when asked what drinks we would like to order - very abrupt - there had been a wedding there so perhaps they were 'tired'.......
The meals we ordered and took an age to get even though there were only a handful of diners were poor to be truthful - one was returned and the duty manager credited the amount we would have paid for it - one meal (we had invited a guest) was half-eaten the chicken oven baked was so tough she could not eat it, one meal from the carvery was ok apart from the 'hard' parsnips which he could not cut through... All in all not a pleasant experience... Breakfast we thought was good the staff helpful offering various fresh cooked options - no complaints with that part of our weekend break.

Room Tip: We booked a standard room which was small, shabby, no opening windows - there was a corridor between...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 220Margaret
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newmarket
Bedford Lodge Hotel
Rosery Country House Hotel
BEST WESTERN Priory Hotel
BEST WESTERN Priory Hotel
#7 of 11 in Bury St. Edmunds

Been to Best Western Heath Court Hotel? Share your experiences!