“2 Wonderful nights + Very close to high street” 5 of 5 bubbles

Byerley House
Byerley House
Ranked #5 of 16 Newmarket B&B and Inns
Keighley, United Kingdom
“2 Wonderful nights + Very close to high street”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

I was heading to Cambridge for an Arts Auction held by Rowlyes fine arts (who are based in Ely, Cambridgeshire), Previously i had booked a B & B at Ely, later which i cancelled this and opting out for something which was closest to the Tattersalls auction rooms.

The room was an en-suite (i believe all of their rooms are en suite), very spacious even for one person, the room looked very cleaned. More importantly it was a few minutes walk from the Train Station, and a few minutes walking distance to the Auction rooms. A few more minutes to the high streets. Both Konrad and Bobby were wonderful, the breakfast was very pleasing and Bobby was ready to make you something special if requested...though im not a breakfast person myself.

Free wi-fi is provided so thats a bonus for someone like myself. I will certainly stay here again if im in Newmarket. I would recommend Byerley House, though i dont wont everybody to book the rooms otherwise next time i might not get a room myself. Thank you for the pleasant stay Bobby/Konrad.

Room Tip: I was in room 4 which faced the garden, i belive all the other rooms are equally good.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank ComputerGentle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
melksham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

My partner and I were staying with family in Huntingdonshire and intending to spend a few days touring round the East of England. We both hail from the North and West Midlands and had never been past St Ives and Cambridge before.
We had no route organised and before leaving St Ives, we made our booking in Newmarket. The reviews were very good, so we set off with hopes high and weren't disappointed. On trips such as the one we were about to embark on we usually book our accommodation via the local tourist information board, but this time we went through Last Rooms.com.
Bobbie was very pleasant and helpful and showed us to our room. It was very comfortable and loads of space. Later that evening we walked into Newmarket to have our evening meal. It was only a short walk - 10 minutes at the most and well lit.
We were about the last to have breakfast and it was served in a lovely room, surrounded by lots of racing memorabilia. Horse racing is one of my interests and going to Newmarket to me is what Gracelands is to an Elvis fan. It was a pity there wasn't any racing and I was too early for the sales.
The next time we are in St Ives and intending to travel Eastwards again, we will know where to go. Brilliant.

Room Tip: When looking at pictures of Byreley House, ours was the one with bay windows at the front!! Very qu...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank pen9175
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

Fantastic weekend stay, We stayed at Byerley House for the Fri and Sat 27th and the 28th of July, Went down to celibrate my daughter Laurens Birthday, Bobbie and Conrad are lovely, Home from Home in everyway, Rooms are spacious Clean and the Beds are so comfortable, Breakfast is really special, Daily Newspapers provided, Town centre is just a nice 10 minute stroll, Perfect location to stay in Newmarket, We will be staying again.

Thanks Bobbie and Condrad

Room Tip: Stay at Byerley House you wont be disappointed.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Roy G
Shropshire Welsh border
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2012

Rooms were large - the bathroom was enormous. Spotlessly clean, well appointed. Hosts Bobbie and Conrad were very helpful and friendly. They provide complimentary drinks, cake and newspapers - its full of horce racing memorabilia - mainly following Conrads career as a jockey and horse trainer. Great breakfast. Could not fault it.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank ShropshireBoy
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2011

Byerley House looks so much like a residence I had to study the building carefully before knocking.

Inside, I found what felt like a family-run bed-and-breakfast, with delightfully creaky floors but all-modern amenities. No formal "office" that I could discern; the lady on duty seemed to be listening for guests to arrive, then she'd just put down whatever she was doing in the kitchen to check us in.

I found my room well above average in cleanliness and appointments. Small, as things tend to be in Europe and England; but adequate. Byerley House is set in a residential area, very quiet and low-key. I felt very much as if I were staying at the home of someone I'd known for a long time.

The lady of the house asked when I'd like breakfast, and honestly, I hadn't given it much thought. "Breakfast included" has gotten a bad name in the States because now that everyone offers it, it's become a lowest-bidder commodity. Read: cheap carbs and self-service.

So, the cooked-to-order eggs, ham, sausage, and potato I was handed at table reminded me of the old British custom of leaving a small amount of food on your plate so your host wouldn't think you'd been underserved. I blew that off and wolfed every morsel, then moved on to the cold cereal and more fresh fruit than I deserved to choose from. The French-press coffee left me feeling as if I were among the landed gentry. I checked out regretfully, ready to change plans, stay a while, and send for my family.

Room Tip: Ask for a cable in case the wireless reception isn't strong enough in your room. The manager off...
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank Michael R
Seaford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2011

We found it to be so friendly,clean comfortable,excellent breakfast,tea coffee cakes to enjoy.Close to Tattersalls, the Museum and best of all The Gallops,which is a 5 min car ride.The Ntional Stud is about a 10 min drive up the road.If you are there for the horses the owners of the B/B, Bobby and Conrad will tell you everything you wish to know! Be up at the Gallops between 6-7am and you will see the most fantastic horses and some of their trainers up to around 11am.Fabulous time.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank viv033
Norwich, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2011

My husband and I have stayed at Byerley House on several occasions when in Newmarket for the racing. The B&B is excellently situated for the High Street (although far enough away to avoid any late night noise), the rooms are excellent in size and cleanliness and the owners Bobbie and Conrad are friendly, helpful hosts. Breakfast is always delicious and is served promptly with a smile ... definitely the best B&B we have stayed in!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family