“Like Staying With Friends”
Review of Byerley House

Byerley House
and 1 more site!
Byerley House
Ranked #3 of 11 Newmarket B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 17, 2011

Byerley House looks so much like a residence I had to study the building carefully before knocking.

Inside, I found what felt like a family-run bed-and-breakfast, with delightfully creaky floors but all-modern amenities. No formal "office" that I could discern; the lady on duty seemed to be listening for guests to arrive, then she'd just put down whatever she was doing in the kitchen to check us in.

I found my room well above average in cleanliness and appointments. Small, as things tend to be in Europe and England; but adequate. Byerley House is set in a residential area, very quiet and low-key. I felt very much as if I were staying at the home of someone I'd known for a long time.

The lady of the house asked when I'd like breakfast, and honestly, I hadn't given it much thought. "Breakfast included" has gotten a bad name in the States because now that everyone offers it, it's become a lowest-bidder commodity. Read: cheap carbs and self-service.

So, the cooked-to-order eggs, ham, sausage, and potato I was handed at table reminded me of the old British custom of leaving a small amount of food on your plate so your host wouldn't think you'd been underserved. I blew that off and wolfed every morsel, then moved on to the cold cereal and more fresh fruit than I deserved to choose from. The French-press coffee left me feeling as if I were among the landed gentry. I checked out regretfully, ready to change plans, stay a while, and send for my family.

Room Tip: Ask for a cable in case the wireless reception isn't strong enough in your room. The manager off...
  • Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank Michael R

Reviewed August 17, 2011

We found it to be so friendly,clean comfortable,excellent breakfast,tea coffee cakes to enjoy.Close to Tattersalls, the Museum and best of all The Gallops,which is a 5 min car ride.The Ntional Stud is about a 10 min drive up the road.If you are there for the horses the owners of the B/B, Bobby and Conrad will tell you everything you wish to know! Be up at the Gallops between 6-7am and you will see the most fantastic horses and some of their trainers up to around 11am.Fabulous time.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank viv033
Reviewed July 25, 2011

My husband and I have stayed at Byerley House on several occasions when in Newmarket for the racing. The B&B is excellently situated for the High Street (although far enough away to avoid any late night noise), the rooms are excellent in size and cleanliness and the owners Bobbie and Conrad are friendly, helpful hosts. Breakfast is always delicious and is served promptly with a smile ... definitely the best B&B we have stayed in!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Tessie65
Reviewed May 23, 2011

Although my husband and I only stayed at Byerley House for one night, I would highly reccommend this B & B and believe it to be great value for money. The owner was friendly and accommodating; the en suite room was clean and comfortable and the cooked breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple