“Noisy and tables too close together”

El Guaca Mexican Grill
Ranked #6 of 102 Restaurants in Newmarket
Description: Essex and Suffolk most authentic Mexican experience..!
Description: Essex and Suffolk most authentic Mexican experience..!
Reviewed July 11, 2018

Good food, pleasant staff but the noise levels were horrendous. We were almost best friends with the table next to us by the time we left!

Date of visit: May 2018

Reviewed July 11, 2018

This is a fairly new restaurant, only open a few months. We had not tried Mexican food before and thought we would give it a try. We arrived without a booking and were told that they were very busy but if wouldn't mind waiting for 10-15 minutes we could be seated. We asked a member of staff, who happened to be the manager, about Mexican food and its spicy nature. The things we may wish to have together and which drinks were best with the various dishes. He said that the spice content could be varied according to taste, as I prefer it hotter and my wife does not. We both had a meat paella and they each were perfect for us both. There was a range of Mexican beers which were a good accompaniment. The whole experience was very pleasant with friendly and helpful staff, and new venture for us and will certainly be going again.

Reviewed July 9, 2018 via mobile

Very good Mexican restaurant. Having been to Mexico I can safely say it is not very authentic but a pleasant take on Mexican cuisine.

Portions are generous and reasonably priced. Very good cocktail menu too.

Would recommend you book ahead especially at weekends and on race days as it does get very busy.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed July 9, 2018 via mobile

Went with a few friends found it was very busy and noisy. Not enough staff. Food was
Ok as a quick meal. Will try again I’m sure

Reviewed July 9, 2018 via mobile

Delighted to discover a Mexican style restaurant in Newmarket - After spending 3 years in Florida, I have experienced a number of Mexican/Tex Mex establishments, and while this establishment was more expensive than I am accustomed to, the food was good. I sampled some items on the small dish/snack menu.

I would, however, agree with the other reviewers and suggest they serve free tortilla chips.

That said, I would happily return.