“Perfect anniversary treat”

Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lavenham
Reviewed April 3, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a perfect overnight stay at the Swan Hotel, which we chose in order to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Despite having lived in Suffolk all of my life, I had not been to the lovely town of Lavenham since I was a child and it proved to be the ideal choice for a romantic night away, not least because of this fabulous hotel.
I booked the hotel for one night dinner, bed and breakfast basis, using a spring offer which I spotted on the hotels website. The offer was based on the lowest priced “classic” room, so on arriving at the hotel, we were absolutely delighted to find that we had been upgraded to a suite free of charge. An even nicer touch was the card from the hotel wishing us a happy anniversary. This was genuine attention to detail, especially as I only fleetingly mentioned the purpose for our visit in conversation when I booked over the telephone.
I can honestly say that, after many years of travelling and staying in good class hotels, the “Churchyard Suite” which we were allocated was simply the nicest hotel room we’ve ever stayed in (just knocking a fabulous room at the Hotel Tuilerieen in Bruges into a close second place).
It was huge suite with a small hallway a luxurious bathroom, and two stunningly spacious and beautifully furnished rooms. The sitting room had a lovely inglenook fireplace, sumptuous sofas and chairs and even a large dining table amongst numerous items of good quality furniture. The bedroom had a fabulously comfortable king sized bed and both rooms were equipped with flat screen televisions. In keeping with a building which dates back many hundreds of years, both rooms also had high pitched ceilings supported by a charmingly uneven framework of ancient beams which stretched up above us.
The rest of the hotel is equally charming. It’s a perfect mix of the sympathetically restored older buildings and some tasteful newer additions such as the Gallery Restaurant.
On the subject of the Gallery Restaurant, all the food we ate during ours stay was of the highest quality.
We had a delicious cream tea in the lounge area during afternoon, followed by an equally excellent meal in the restaurant later that evening. We had cocktails in the bar before our dinner and were able to make our choices from the menu whilst nibbling the tasty free canapés which were delivered with our menus. Although we stuck to a three course meal from the house menu, the choices were excellent with no real suggestion that the house menu was restricted too much by budget. All our three courses were perfectly cooked, beautifully presented and extremely tasty….my choice of sea bass with salmon and pea gnocchi being particularly worthy of praise.
We had a drink in the Airman’s bar after dinner which, although empty and lacking a bit of atmosphere, was fascinating as it gave us a chance to study some of the many handwritten inscriptions on the walls by various servicemen, dating back to the Second World War.
Breakfast the following morning, back in the Gallery Restaurant, was every bit as good as we expected after our meal the night before and then sadly we had to leave.
We had nothing but praise for this hotel. It’s a beautifully charming building, with lovely rooms, great food and perfect service from the team of staff working throughout the hotel. I heartily recommend it for anyone seeking a break in this lovely part of Suffolk.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GandN896
IngoWiangke, General Manager at Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Dear Gand

Thank you for your lovely feedback on your perfect stay, I am pleased you chose to celebrate your special anniversary with us. What kind comments about our rooms and attention to detail, I will pass these onto the staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon

Reviewed April 3, 2013

We have just come back from 3 nights at the Swan Hotel, Lavenham over Easter. Lavenham is an extraordinary place, a hidden gem. The Swan is the perfect place to experience the charm and history of the village. It is a beautiful timber-framed building with an atmospheric "Airman's Bar", two lovely restaurants (one grand, one relaxed) and very comfortable, cosy rooms. The lounge areas are luxurious and the afternoon tea outstanding. However the hotel's best selling point (apart from its location) is its charming, friendly staff who truly understand the meaning of "customer service". Every employee who served us went the extra mile and the hotel owners should be very proud of what they have achieved. The food in both restaurants and at breakfast is interesting and delicious. Portions may be a little small for some, but were perfect for us. The bar was buzzing every night with a mix of guests and locals. In summer the garden areas would be lovely (but Easter 2013 was a bit chilly for sunbathing!).

We highly recommend The Swan and can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 34, Newton and had a lovely time (so much so that we stayed an extra night!).

Dear Monkeyhumble

Thank you for taking the time to share you experience to The Swan, I am pleased to read every moment of your stay was enjoyable. I will pass your kind comments on to the time.

We do hope to see you again soon

Reviewed April 2, 2013

I returned to The Swan last week for a meeting (with overnight stay) once again I found the staff professional, friendly, and helpful.
The bedroom was even nicer then the one that I had last time, and I thought that one was very good value for money so this was a nice surprise - although it was a bit of a warren to find it and I know a couple of our group (there were 16 of us) got lost on the way to their rooms once or twice!
We had booked their conference facility and I thought it was good value for a small meeting.

Room Tip: I was in room 57 and if you have trouble with uneven floors - the bathroom may not be great for you...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
IngoWiangke, General Manager at Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Dear Jane

Thank you for taking the time to share your meeting experience at the hotel and for returning to the hotel. I am pleased the experience lives up to your expectations and we look forward to welcoming you and your colleagues again soon.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We have just spent our four-day Easter break, on a half-board deal, in this glorious hotel.
The rooms are gloriously quirky and even getting to your room is to explore the history of the building: to get to room 57, the Great Green Room, we went up and down through walls which had previously separated different houses, ending up over the Wildlife Art Gallery next door. Fabulous fun. Our room was very tastefully furnished and the bed gloriously comfortable.
The food is delicious and we tried a different selection of the menu each evening before coming back to our favourite selection for the final evening. You are invited to find a seat in one of the various lounge spaces before supper so that you can select from the menu while enjoying your appetisers.
We were touring around East Anglia and coming back to the hotel each evening felt like it was home.
We will be back.

Room Tip: Their special deals really can be especially good value: half board was 10% cheaper than B&B.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear MrFG

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the quirky charm and character of the hotel. I do hope your touring of East Anglia was a success. Thank you for your kind comments, I am pleased the team made you feel at home and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

What can you say about the delightful Swan that hasn't already been said?
Fantastic building, lovely staff, excellent food and a delightful room all helped with the experience but it was the little touches that set it apart from other "high class" hotels we have stayed in. We both agreed that we have never felt so relaxed as we did on Sunday afternoon, sitting by a log fire, eating a delightful cream tea watching the world slowly drift by. A big thank you to all the staff but especially the young lady who assisted us with our cream teas, Norbert for the excellent dinner service and chat, Charlie for the scotch advice and Shane for his fire lighting patience.
Would we go back? A definite yes. We both agreed that it was a fantastic break. A big thank you to all involved.

Dear Draper

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, I am pleased to read you enjoyed your two day break and found sitting by the log fire so relaxing. I will pass your kind comments on to all the team and the team members you have mentioned.

We do hope you visit again soon and look forward to welcoming you.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We recently spent time at the Swan Hotel for dinner bed and breakfast. The staff throughout our stay were efficient, courteous, friendly and all went the extra mile to make our visit extra special.

The buidling itself if fascinating, history pulsating through it's core - wonderfully clean and with log fires in main visitor areas.

Our room was an acceptable size and with a large comfortable bed. Bathroom also much larger than a usual hotel bathroom.

Set Dinner was realistically priced but uninspiring so we opted for the a la carte menu. All the food was presented perfectly and of a high standard and was served well and accompanied by good wine reasonably priced.

Will definitely be visiting again in the not too distant future. Thank you to all the amazing staff.

Dear Hilary

Thank you ever so much for you kind comments, I will pass them onto the team. I am pleased to read you appreciated the unique building with charm and history.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not to distance future.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

I stayed at the Swan in March this year and although the hotel itself is set in a lovely village location and is beautifully appointed the overall experience was disappointing. The room that I stayed is was very sumptuous however the thickness of the walls was thin and noise travelled down a large fireplace in the room. This meant that I could hear everything in the rooms ajoining - including a loud TV that was not turned off until 3.30 a.m. Car Park lights also were outside the window - also not condusive to a good night's sleep.

The breakfast the next day was very good, however the service from the restaurant manageress was quite brusque and not at all welcoming. During the day too, the service from the waiting staff providing tea/coffee and refreshments was slow and seemed too much effort all-round. Lunch was very good food and better service.

This was a hotel that I was prepared to spend a private weekend away at but not now - over-priced for the quality of service provided..

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
IngoWiangke, General Manager at Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Dear Middleton

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I am pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your time however I am sorry to hear that there were a few issues during your stay and of course these should not have happened, these will be addressed.

I hope this does not deter you from visiting in the future

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you would like to discuss this further.

Ingo

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lavenham
16 mi away
18 mi away
Tuddenham Mill
Tuddenham Mill
#1 of 1 in Tuddenham

Been to Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham? Share your experiences!