“Really nice hotel.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lavenham
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Really nice hotel.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

Had a great night here. The rooms are so comfortable with none of that air conditioned claustrophobia of more modern buildings. The furniture is traditional and the Tudor rooms are actually terrific to enjoy. The setting is beautiful with traditional gardens a walled garden and a courtyard you can sit out in.

Room Tip: All seem good to me.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vincent404
IngoWiangke, General Manager at Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Vincent

Thank you for your kind comments, I am pleased to read your appreciate the unique character and charm of the hotel. We do hope you visit again soon.

Ingo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stayed at The Swan for 1 night (2 days) as part of a business trip with a number of other work colleagues.

The hotel is situated in the beautiful village of Lavenham, Suffolk, and is a quaint, timbered property dating back to the 1400's I believe. Upon entering the hotel, there is a homely feel enhanced by a log fire burning within one of the lounges and there plenty of chairs to accommodate the guests in all of the lounge areas.

All of the staff were very helpful, courteous and professional at all times.

Our conference was held in the wool hall boardroom at the back of the hotel. This was quite a way from reception, proving that this hotel is deceptively much bigger than it appeared from the outside.

There are a number of bedrooms in different aspects of the hotel and I would recommend that if staying for pleasure you request a room that does not overlook the main road. The disadvantage for me, was that my very comfortable ensuite bedroom (room 33) was directly facing the main road which made for a very noisy night with passing traffic, especially when the lorries trundled past in the early hours of the morning. The other problem that I encountered was that my radiators were not working and therefore my bedroom was very cold (it was to be an extremely cold night out at -10 which may not of helped either). I did not say anything as I do prefer a cooler bedroom and I am aware that all other work colleagues were commenting how warm their rooms were. I know that the reception staff would have moved me had I said something, so this is not a reflection on them not doing anything, more my decision not to say something until I checked out. The staff was profuse in their apologies and sent an engineer to look at the radiator immediately.

I have to say that the food was incredibly good. I was fortunate to have some very good meals throughout my stay, from the 2 course lunch to the 3 course evening dinner. Everything is wonderfully presented with attention to detail and it is extremely filling! There was a fair selection, although perhaps a little repetitive as one of my lunch choices was also on the evening menu the same day.

This is a delightful hotel, which seems to tick all of the boxes, for anyone wishing to have a break away somewhere nice.
I feel extremely fortunate to have stayed at the Swan for an all expenses paid business trip.

I would highly recommended this hotel and it is one that I would wish to return to for a romantic few days away with my boyfriend. From looking at the special offers provided by the hotel, then this may be sooner rather than later and to be honest I just can't wait.

Room Tip: Avoid a bedroom that overlooks the main road...noise from passing traffic can be excessive
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank SAHPGB
Dear SAHPGB

Thank you ever so much for your kind comments on your business trip to The Swan at Lavenham, I must agree a business break here is a real delight and I am pleased you enjoyed it. Thank you for your constructive comments, I will ensure the chef is aware. We would be delighted to welcome you back for a romantic few days away, with no work you can really make the most the relaxed atmosphere.

Essex, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

We stayed Friday 11th Jan.13 as a birthday treat for me. We took advantage of the Winter Wonderland deal and was very pleased we did!
You were supposed to stay for 2 nights on a weekend but they agreed we could just do the one night.
From the moment we arrived to when we left, we just loved everything about the place, we could not find fault with one thing.
We arrived a bit early to check in so went and visited a tea shop (of which there are many!) and then went to the chemist for the audio guide, which cost £4 each, with a little map to follow the numbers.

Lavenham is such a beautiful town, so oldie wordly, really lovely.

We went later for some lunch in The Cock pub, which was a lovely pub with a nice atmosphere and carried on with our tour.

Went back to The Swan for afternoon tea, which was 2 different typrs of scones with cream and jam - although delicious we couldn't finish all of ours!

Our evening meal was booked for 8.30 and we were asked to be in the lounge for 8.00 to look through the menu.

We ordered some drinks and canapes were served along with our drinks, very nice!

Our meal was wonderful, accomanied by a bottle of Lavenham Rose and the staff were so helpful yet discreet.

We only had a standard room but we loved it. Still oldie wordie but nice and warm and bright and in the wardrobe was an iron, ironing board and a fan, with a hairdryer in the drawer.

The complimentary toiletries were gorgeous, I brought the rest of ours back home with us!

They also supply towelling robes so another nice touch.

Had a lovely sleep, bed really comfortable and didn't hear any noise, although we did request a side road room, after reading previous reviews.

We were still full up from the night before but we waddled down to breakfast! Breakfast was the same high standard as everything else, so we were very pleased.

So to summarise, it was one of the best places we have stayed in the UK and only wish we could have stayed longer.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
IngoWiangke, General Manager at Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Saracens

I am very pleased to read we helped make your birthday celebration that bit more special. What a lovely accolade of being the best hotel in the UK. I do hope you have the chance to visit again soon; we very much look forward to welcoming you back.

Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

Beautiful hotel - last time we stayed there was 25 1/2 years ago. The room was stunning, four poster really comfortable bed and a fireplace big enough to stand up in. View from windows wasn't stunning but really didn't make a difference. Wonderful staff, great food and terrific ambiance. Loads of different places to sit in the public areas which is delightful.

Only sad thing was that I couldn't buy one of their beautiful bathrobes.

Lavenham and the surrounding area is lovely especially on a cold and bright January day. The wool shop up the road is brilliant and if you are a knitter or crocheter you must go there. Bury St Edmunds isn't far and it is the most delightful medieval market town - a real must see place.

Have fun.

Room Tip: Ask the very helpful reception staff!!
Dear Howmanyholidays

How fantastic that you returned to the hotel after all that time, thank you for remembering us. I am glad we helped make your surprise celebration that extra bit special; thank you for taking the time to feedback on your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back in the not to distance future.

Stevenage
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

I booked this hotel, on the recommendation from a friend, for one night to surprise the hubby on his birthday. We have stayed in many places and have to say this hotel beats everywhere we have been. All the staff were so helpful, friendly and polite, on our arrival we were told we had been upgraded to a Junior Suite, the room was just Wow! Bed was enormous, nice comfy sofa, lots of lighting and bathroom had a shower that actually worked and didnt just trickle out. The hotel itself is very olde worlde with lots of lounges and log fires, although you do need to reserve a table in them, we sat in the Airmans bar and enjoyed good beer and cocktails. The Gallery restaurant was amazing, again friendly staff, out of this world food and to put the 'icing on the cake' they even piped Happy Birthday around my hubbys dessert which really made his evening. Breakfast was just as lovely. Would thoroughly recommend this hotel, Although the room prices are quite high it is worth every penny and the food/drink prices are average therefore it evens itself out. A definite place to visit, shall look forward to going back.

Room Tip: Room 28 was lovely
Dear PixAll

WOW indeed, what lovely feedback. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and for picking the hotel for your surprise birthday treat! I do hope we helped make it a little more special. I do hope you visit again soon and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Rayleigh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

Booked into the Swan for a pre Christmas stay, we'd heard great things about the hotel and in the main we were not disappointed. An adequately sized car park at the rear of the hotel made for easy access (despite the appalling weather) and once in we enjoyed a lunch and drinks in the lounge.
Our room was ready slightly early and we were shown around by a young but very charming member of staff. The room itself struck a good compromimse between traditional charm and modernity, very clean and with quality toileteries.
Dinner was of a similarly high standard, save for my wife's soup which had to be returned. It was re-served without any fuss.
The main downside, which did spoil our trip a little, was possibly due to the busy Christmas season.
Many of the nicest spots to sit down and relax in front of the fires - such as the front snug - were generally out of bounds with reserved tabs on them. This was despite no-one occupying them for long periods. Seeing this we did use them briefly but it was not relaxing knowing we might have to move at any point.

The overall impression was of a very well run hotel that was worth the money. We would definitely recommend it to others but hope next time we come we can settle into a cosy spot by a fire!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
IngoWiangke, General Manager at Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear JLD51

Thank you for your kind comments about your visit to the hotel. I am sorry to read at moments you couldn’t find a table to enjoy the open fires and will address this with my team, we do get very busy over Christmas and try our hardest not to disappoint. I see that every other aspect of your stay was enjoyable and we hope you visit again soon.

Herts, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

Having had our wedding at the Swan and returned for an anniversary I thought I was being unimaginative booking it again for a birthday party - but it was absolutely the right decision. Kate and the events team made it all so easy (surprise birthdays can be tricky with a suspicious husband). Everyone there is so helpful, nothing is too much trouble and it is just so beautiful (excellent refurb has really opened up the front areas and made it very fresh). Can't think of a single even slightly negative thing to say - all just wonderful.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Ginggingsma

Thank you for being such a loyal supporter of The Swan… (don’t worry we don’t think its unimaginative booking again) I am pleased we could help with your special surprise birthday event. We do hope you visit again soon.

Ingo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lavenham
Salthouse Harbour Hotel
#1 of 8 in Newmarket
Tuddenham Mill
Tuddenham Mill
#1 of 1 in Tuddenham

Been to Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham? Share your experiences!