“Good pub grub, service WITHOUT a smile”
Review of The Cock at Lavenham - CLOSED

The Cock at Lavenham
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
“Good pub grub, service WITHOUT a smile”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I visited The Cock at Lavenham this week as one member of a party of five. Although the table was booked for a Sunday at 1pm, I noticed it wasn't very busy.

We took our seats and ordered our meals. As I mentioned, it was very busy, yet we were warned that it would take about 35-40 minutes for our food to arrive. This wasn't too much of a problem as I was catching up with my family.

I ordered the pie of the day which was steak and mushroom. The pie itself was good, although my veg wasn't very warm (and arrived two minutes after my pie). There were no complaints on the food among the group, although there were no proclamations of how delicious it was.

The food is good pub grub. It's not the cheapest place in the world, but it isn't over the top. The menu involves Lasagna, fish and chips, roast dinner, steak etc.

My main gripe, which also limits the review to a rating of three, was down to the service. It wasn't great. The key point was when I went to order desert (you have to order at the bar). The lady at the bar seemed annoyed that I was ordering more food! Her main problem was when I asked if for my sons ice cream, if he could have one of each flavour. She didn't seem happy with the request as it seemed as if I asked her to milk a cow, pasteurise the milk, add some flavour to the milk, plonk it in the freezer, wait a few hours and dish it up. To be fair, she did what I very politely asked. When the deserts were brought over, the ice cream flavours weren't what we ordered. I must say that the younger lady who also served us was great- she was friendly and helpful.

Overall, it was a bit disappointing. We visited this pub a year before with some friends, and the service then wasn't great then. I thought a year later, it may be different. Alas, it wasn't. I don't think we'll be coming back for a little while.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Barsnacks

Woburn England
“Fawlty towers of Suffolk.”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Arrived at this pub around 12.30 on a Monday, didn't seem to busy however after ordering the food I was told there was a 35 minute wait and not to expect it any quicker.
As we were in no rush we decided that this wasn't an issue and stayed.
Whilst ordering the drinks and good the landlady/manager was training a new member of staff, how the girl put up with the way she was spoken too amazed me, it was disgusting and in front of customers. The owners require training on how to induct new employees!
Whilst waiting for the food at a grubby table the so called training or belittling continued and there seemed to be pressure coming from the kitchen as the language coming out of there was disgusting.
Thee food arrived on time (35 mins) and was poor.
I would advise anybody to give this pub a miss.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank billymusty
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Excellant pub/restaurant”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

An enjoyable lunch with good home cooked food served fresh. Cheerful service and not a bad price either. I will be going again

Visited September 2013
Lavenham, United Kingdom
“poor service food not great”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Booked table for 6 we arrived few minutes late and were greeted by rude and very unhelpful bar manager we would have gone elsewhere if not bank holiday , you would think in present climate that all custom would be welcome. Food was only average needless to say we wont be going back to the cock which is a shame as we are local.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank richard h
Hove, United Kingdom
“very grubby, with poor quality food”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This place needs a good clean, the table was sticky, the cutlery was encrusted with old food, and there were many unwashed glasses stacked up on the bar next to our table the whole time we were there, with no effort made to clear them, even though it was quiet. Worst of all, there's carpet in the loos, not just in the area where basins are, but actually in the toilet cubicles, fitted around each toilet. It's grossly unhygienic! There was no soap in the dispensers either. The food was greasy and bland and the landlady had a permanently harassed attitude, which made an uncomfortable atmosphere. We heard her speak quite sharply to several customers, who had asked perfectly reasonable questions. To be avoided.

• Visited July 2013