“Great beers and wholesome food”

Old Cannon Brewery Restaurant
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Old Cannon is a Brewery, Bar, Brasserie and Bed & Breakfast.Our brasserie menu (Cannon Fodder) changes with the seasons and has starters and main dishes for all tastes and appetites and, if you are still ready for more, our puddings and British cheeseboard are definitely worth saving space for. There are at least three daily changing specials. For those with a smaller appetite, many of the most popular main courses are offered as a light main too.
Reviewed March 18, 2013

My recent visit was about the 5th time I've eaten here in the last 2 years and I have always found the beer, food and service to be very good.
The menu is a little limited but there are always a number of traditional favourites and a few specials on the board to choose from.
Beware the Gunner's Daughter - a lovely pint, but a few too many of those and you won't want to too anything too taxing the next day.
On my last visit I had the Warm Chorizo and Chicken Liver salad starter which was excellent and then good old fashioned fish and chips which they do quite well.
Certainly worth a visit , especially if you like real ale which is brewed on the premises.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

After reading mixed reviews and of course living in the area I thought both the drink and food needed a good test!
The look of the building both in and outside is a very old look and is in question of a good refurbishment. I went on a Friday evening which I presume was a mistake as though there were tables they were either crowded by people who were just drinking or a foot next to the next table where you could have a conversation with fellow eaters. We ordered some drinks of which i can't remember their given names but were delicious. Whoever brews their beers is a real talent and well worth the money paid! As for the food, though it wasn't terrible, for the price given, no matter where the produce comes from, it was most definitely not at the appropriate standard. I understand that it's technically a pub after all, but you'd think to employee a chef who has basic cooking skills. My wifes main was overcooked and as for mine, it lacked both flavour and presentation. The lady who was serving us did a great job and we tipped, hoping she'd get it all!
I have to go back for business next month so I hope to give another update with better news!

Reviewed March 1, 2013

Just recently returned after a short break following a visit in April when we announced ourselves at the bar and were then forgotten.
It seemed that there has been a change of management as everyone was on the ball and attentive. Please keep it up.
This time we were shown to our table straight away, and throughout the evening looked after very well.
There was a good choice of food on the menu, which had been changed since our last visit, and the food served was freshly cooked and tasty.
As always there is a good choice of beer brewed on the premises, so altogether a good night was had by all. We will be going back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Long time since we ate at the Cannon - previous experiences having been disappointing - but this time was different. Eating off the specials board, the local hot smoked trout starter was delicious and then the plaice stuffed with salmon mousse was accompanied by a perfectly seasoned butter sauce that was full of flavour and perfectly cooked vegetables. My companions had good experiences with the fish and chips and the "sausage warmer" and then some had room for the brioche bread and butter pudding with custard (again off the specials board) although I was disappointed in my cheesecake.
The place was packed to the gills, with a lively atmosphere, but the front of house staff were superb - friendly and helpful, with perfect timing - and no one called us "guys"...how refreshing! The beer is good - as it always was - and it was a real relief that, having risked going back after a period of avoiding it, it did not fail to deliver!

1  Thank localyokel29
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I met my parents here for lunch - had never heard of the place before, but was very impressed by the great food and pleasant atmosphere. The beer, brewed on location, was fantastic. They have tours of the brewing facility, and have a bed and breakfast, though I can't review this as I didn't stay. The food was pub style dishes with restaurant quality, and plenty of choice on the menu.

I would definitely recommend this restaurant for a meal out, I just regret that I had to drive home!