“Great food, fantastic beer!”

Old Cannon Brewery Restaurant
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Old Cannon is a Brewery, Bar, Brasserie and Bed & Breakfast.Our brasserie menu (Cannon Fodder) changes with the seasons and has starters and main dishes for all tastes and appetites and, if you are still ready for more, our puddings and British cheeseboard are definitely worth saving space for. There are at least three daily changing specials. For those with a smaller appetite, many of the most popular main courses are offered as a light main too.
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I met my parents here for lunch - had never heard of the place before, but was very impressed by the great food and pleasant atmosphere. The beer, brewed on location, was fantastic. They have tours of the brewing facility, and have a bed and breakfast, though I can't review this as I didn't stay. The food was pub style dishes with restaurant quality, and plenty of choice on the menu.

I would definitely recommend this restaurant for a meal out, I just regret that I had to drive home!

Reviewed January 3, 2013

We booked our office Christmas meal (6pm 19 December x 5) at this restaurant back in September. It would have been nice to be made aware at the time of booking that we could only have the table for 2 hours maximum. We were not told that another booking was made for the same table at 8pm. The food was good but we felt very rushed. The manager was constantly to-ing and fro-ing and checking where we were up to. We asked for a breather between the main and dessert courses but they were clearly on a mission to get us served and out. because they needed the table. Fortunately, we only had 2 courses and coffee because had we all taken three courses and coffee there certainly would have been insufficient time to finish the meal at a leisurely pace. Its not a cheap place to eat and given that we parted with £120 I don't think we were unreasonable to expect not to be rushed and hurried out. We were asked to vacate the table. Having contacted the restaurant afterwards to make these points the manager was very defensive and finished the email by saying she "hoped we enjoyed eating in the other restaurants in Bury St Edmunds" Needless to say, we will not be going back to the Old Canon Brewery again.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

I haven’t yet had the pleasure to try their food yet, but this is a fun pub that has a great atmosphere, free WiFi, and tasty brew! The items on the menu doo look appetizing! For brews, I enjoy one of their house brews named Gunner’s Daughter. Gunner’s Daughter is a well-balanced strong ale with a pleasant aftertaste. This last visit I was introduced to Kostritzer, a German Black Lager that was absolutely delicious! What not to love about a place you can take-away 2 pints of beer. Growlers also available. Next time I plan to try their food, and I will certainly do a follow-up review.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

Had a meal here with a friend on a busy Friday night. I have to say we enjoyed good pub grub, excellent beers and really good service.
It was busy and noisy but that was because there was a party of 16 in, we had a lovely table in the smaller room, the waiter was really thoughtful and put our order through before the large party which meant we had our meal really quickly.
We both had fish n chips they were piping hot, fresh and yummy, had homemade walnut tart which was beautiful.
I was a bit worried about the meal because of the mixed reviews on TA, but I would return as we had a great night out.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

one the best places to go for a decent pint in Bury. Food is pretty good too and is usually pretty busy. has a nice feel to the place