“Saturday lunch set menu”
Review of Petrus Wine Bar

Petrus Wine Bar
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Fine Wine and Great Steaks
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Ate here 2 weeks ago on a Saturday lunch, and there was a set lunch, and only a choice of soup or salmon as a starter, pasta or Asian spiced broth for main, and a dessert or two, but you had to pay an extra £3 to have cheese. I would have had cheese but the selection was fairly ordinary so just had two courses. I think two courses was £17 per person.
The parsnip soup was very tasty and well presented. However the main course was Asian spiced broth with pork.
This was not as expected. It was a watery clear soup with tiny diced vegetables in it. (however not your frozen type ones) The tiny veg were crisp which is good to me. The pork was sliced and placed on the top of the watery soup (broth) The pork did have flavour and was nicely prepared.
The restaurant had a nice feel to it but did get busy half way through our meal and with only one very efficient waiter on duty things started to look tight. (even though its a small restaurant) He did seem releaved to see the owner Ryan arrive to assist on the bar. It is a nice idea to allow customers to taste a little wine before making their choice to purchase a glass or a bottle.

Waiter service was very professional, knew the menu and the wines. A big plus for me.

I will try this restaurant a few more times but would require bigger portions or a slightly reduced price for me to eat here alot.
Just another small point i did notice the wooden floor needed a good sweep/clean so watch out on your housekeeping as people do notice.
I just felt that the main course did not consist of enough food for the price tag.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

A lovely friendly atmosphere greeted us when we arrived for lunch today,
My starter of pan fried mackerel and beetroot with horseradish cream and a beautiful vinaigrette
A beautifully clear Asian broth with spiced pork and Pak choi ,the overal effect was a beautifully balanced well rounded dish that was lively on the palette
Desert,a sticky ginger cake with passion fruit ice cream was delicious,the ice cream was absolutely stunning
Coffee was great served with a small macaroon ,
I can't wait to go again.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

We visited here on a Saturday night and despite being busy we received top quality, attentive service. I had the vegetarian option and my partner had the beef, both were beautifully cooked and really well presented. I would highly recommend this restaurant and already have a booking to go back soon! Definitely the best restaurant in Bury!

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Since its opening five weeks ago I have been fortunate enough to eat twice at this fantastic restaurant. The experience from arrival to departure was excellent. Delicious, very well cooked food, great wine and friendly, approachable staff, who while helpful are not too intrusive. The quirky, bark edged tables and mis-matched silver and bone cutlery give the dim lit bar and restaurant an intimate, homely feel. The recycling of wine boxes to deliver the complimentary bread selection to diners is a nice touch too.
I have seen a couple of reviews which complain of small, overpriced portions. I must admit that at first glance, some dishes did seem a bit light but as someone with a large appetite, I was left very satisfied with my three courses. The bill coming to a very fair £35, is not too steep for the quality of the experience. If you want to fill yourself for under a tenner, I would advise checking out Pizza Hut's excellent all you can eat £6.99 lunch buffet, otherwise I cannot recommend a trip to Petrus Wine Bar highly enough.

1  Thank SethUnderwood
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We started to stop in Petrus for the occasional drink end of last year but our visits became increasingly regular as this place has the most fantastic vibe.
The service is professional and the team offers a wealth of knowledge to those who are interested in wine. To try before you buy is always an option and to be honest we never had anything less than excellent.

Since expanding the team in order to provide food we practically visit once a week now. The collaboration of food and wine yet again proved to be so very right and the quality of produce is outstanding. Ingredients are local, seasonal and put together with wonderful flair to be served at worthy value. Big compliments to the talented chefs!

Petrus still is a wine bar despite the restaurant addition, offering the option of simply dropping in for a glass or two, perhaps a cheese board for those who feel peckish.
The atmosphere is chilled and offers peace and quiet for those who like to keep to themselves but also attracts people who enjoy a friendly chat. The best way I could possibly sum it up would be to describe it as being on a brief but favourite holiday – escapism for a few hours.