“Can't believe this isn't full”
Review of Graze Kitchen & Bar - CLOSED

Graze Kitchen & Bar
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: informal small plate dining in a relaxed modern setting housed in a 16th century house in the heart of Bury St. Edmunds. There is a Cocktail bar, a private dining room and a meeting room.
Reviewed March 20, 2013

This is the first time I have felt compelled to write a review, but Graze Kitchen & Bar has to be among the most innovative restaurant in the area. Don't waste your time on chain restaurants and walk the few hundred yards to Angel Hill. The staff were most attentive and friendly without being in your face; just the right balance. The whole ethos of the food is somewhere between tapas and main meal sized portions most priced between £5 and £7 all cooked to perfection. Beef cheeks were rich and unctuous, scallops perfectly cooked, and the curried monkfish was to die for. The chocolate brownie is the best I have tasted. For those who work in Bury they offer and express menu so you wont upset your boss by being back late. Please - the next time you are in Bury St Edmunds you would be well advised to visit this establishment.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

This building has housed a restaurant of some description for years and the Graze team have certainly improved the decor - modern, comfortable and nicely lit. It's the first time I've ever been tempted in anyway. The concept of ordering a number of grazing plates I.e. their take on tapas is OK but the menu isn't at all well balanced and it's hard to build a coherent meal out of the choices. Some dishes come with little garnishes of leaves or a slice of vegetable but you can't order a little salad or a decent vegetable dish. Odd. Also, the descriptions of the food do not match what you expect you will get when it arrives. A panna cotta of cauliflower was more of a smear of posh cauliflower cheese. The beetroot croquette was more of a pastilla. The blow torch mackerel was nasty because it tasted of blow torched, bitter and scorched fish. The lamb kofta were quite nice though. It was OK but expensive for what it was and I doubt I'll visit again. Three dishes each and a drink was £45 for 2 of us as a pre-cinema supper. We'd have been better off at Zen. The waitress was sweet and attentive though.

1  Thank JED457
Reviewed March 9, 2013

My wife and I found the experience at Graze refreshingly different. We kept the menu with us and ordered a number of dishes at a time. All were well cooked and really tasty. Also the drinks were well priced. All the staff were really friendly which made for a pleasant evening. Will definitely go again.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

I think this is a good concept for a quick lunch, but for an evening meal, the portions were inadequate. My cup of coffee contained more calories. The last time my main course consisted solely of puree, I had no teeth and was wearing a nappy.

The flavours and presentation were pleasing enough, but some ingredients were duplicated across different dishes, rather defeating the object.

At the time of writing, this is the top rated restaurant in Bury, which I can see, but for me, it's a case of the Emperor's New Clothes.

Not for the hungry !

5  Thank FulhamHugo
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Was able to try different foods because of the smaller portions. I had the set meal and there was plenty to eat, wife had odd bits off menu. Staff and owner very helpful. Menu changes from today so check the website before you go. Good quality - will return.