I stayed at the Priory for one night at the end of January this year, for a conference.
My first impressions were not that favourable as I arrived after sundown, signage to the car park was not visible and when I did find the car park it rather resembled the Somme, crater sized pot holes and very muddy (admittedly it had rained incessantly for days before) but not good dragging an heavy suitcase through the mud to the reception.
I had one of the courtyard rooms, rather put me in mind of an American Motel, everything worked and was clean and tidy and as you would expect from a three star hotel even if the bathroom was starting to show its age a bit.
The bar area was comfortable and the bar staff cheerful.
We were not a large party for dinner, just over a dozen, but it did seem that they were not fully geared up for larger parties. We dined in the very pleasant conservatory at a table that should probably have seated 4 less in number than we were, lucky we all knew each other, because it was very cozy. There was also some misunderstanding over the menu - they offered us a restricted version - which got sorted out though and the meal itself was very good.
Breakfast the following morning was the same arrangement in the conservatory, once again rather cozy. With an absence of staff breakfast took rather longer than it should have done.
My eggs Benedict were cooked the way I like them, so full marks for the breaky itself
Overall a nice hotel with some character in the main building, probably good for a short stay and exploring the area and not breaking the bank for a night or two.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the main route into Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, this 36 room hotel is hidden behind its Grade 2 listed walls, a stones throw from the city centre. We have a good reputation as a quality venue within East Anglia and our location makes us the ideal base for weekend breaks in the area. We are well served by the A14, two junctions (42 and 43) are just five minutes drive away, and together with our free parking for over 50 cars, we welcome both residential and non-residential guests for midweek stopovers, conferences and meetings. We pride ourselves in our customer service and staff endeavour to look after your every need. Our commitment to a high attention to detail is key to your comfort and well being. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Best Western Priory Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Bury St Edmunds
- Best Western Priory Hotel Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk