“New Vegetarian Cafe in Bury St Edmunds” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Cafe, British
Dining options: Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating
Dining options: Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating
Stowmarket, United Kingdom
“New Vegetarian Cafe in Bury St Edmunds”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

My son and I visited Josef's Vegetarian Cafe' yesterday. I had a jacket potato with veg chilli and salad and a banana and peanut butter smoothie. The smoothie was fantastic - I have had this a few times before in a vegan cafe in East London and I actually think Josef's was superior. I also loved my chilli jacket potato. it was not too hot just right and the salad was varied and tasty. I have looked at the review below. It is true to say that they could be a bit more on the ball but they are human and not claiming to be otherwise. I think personally it is awful when these things happen but on the other hand the atmosphere and the food are more important to me than if someone forgets something! That can be sorted.

Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
“Relaxed and chilled atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

I visited Josefs with my 5 year old. We are both vegetarian and have been here before and enjoyed. It is so nice to eat out somewhere and have many more options other than just a heated up vegetable lasagne. We both had one of the specials and thought it was delicious. We then had the pear, cinnamon and blueberry crumble which was also delicious.
The service was ok. They were very polite but my only critisism was that they really should be a bit more attentive. The atmosphere is very chilled and relaxed and its nice you dont get bothered too much but we did sit for perhaps a little too long once we had finished our mains before our plates and desert orders were taken. Josefs it definately worth a visit but I really hope they read the reviews and try and improve on the service aspect as it does seem to have been mentioned several times.
We will be returning many times.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
“Mother's day treat.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

Today (of all days) we wanted a good meal out, somewhere where we've eaten before and where there was a relaxed atmosphere and great food. So, six of us went down to Josef's for Mothers Day. Only two of us are vegetarian, but because the menu has a good variety and we're always willing to try new food, it does not matter. Look out for the special board as there are normally 4 plus different things to try.
"Mother" (my wife) chose off the specials board a "Sunday roast" which was a nut roast with the full trimmings of yorky & roast veg etc. Myself, being a bit of a pub pie man, went for the mushroom & stilton pie. I have to say, liking a good homemade pie, I was not expecting a vegetarian pie to do much for me. I was wrong, the mushrooms were in a thick dark sauce with a good full on flavour; really good. All 6 of us chose 6 different main meals and swapped little fork-fulls between us, no disappointments. To follow we went the whole way with desserts. I had pear and cinnamon crumble, one of my sons went for bread, banana & butter pudding & some chose from the selection of cakes on offer. All the desserts and cakes tasted like they were proper homemade stuff. I also recommend the milk-shakes.
Don’t let some of the reviews put you off, there’s never been a problem with the loo’s when we’ve been, that doesn’t mean to say that some idiot hasn’t gone and ruined it for somebody else though. Service has never been a problem for us, we’ve always been attended to as needed. Don’t expect your food in an instant. I think it’s all cooked and prepared to order. Want it quicker? Then go to some national chain and get some microwaved rubbish.
All in all, a family run business, good food, and makes a good change to the normal. Mothers day meal a success, would recommended it to all.
P.S. Did you know that all profit goes to a charity they run for horse rescue ?

England
“Good, Not Very Good, but more than average cafe to visit.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

Visited this cafe with a group of friends, one of whom is a vegetarian, who likes this cafe a lot! The rest of us were not vegetarians.

The cafe was warm and nicely furnished, in a good location, down a popular shopping street in Bury St Edmunds.

The cafe's menu was varied and daily specials were also available too. Prices are moderate to high depending on what you choose to eat & drink! In my opinion, their cordials and peanut butter sandwiches seemed very over priced.

Everyone appeared to enjoy their meal and the portion sizes of the meals were reasonable (or what you would expect/hope for). The food was most probably freshly prepared, as we had to wait maybe half an hour for our meals, but one of us did order soup of the day.

Unlike the rest of the group, I only ordered a slice of cake & 2 milkshakes. My slice of ginger cake was very moist & flavoursome. The ice cream milkshakes were excellent and the thickness and texture of them were very good and they tasted great. My banana milkshake was even made with a real banana.

Overall, yes I would visit Josef's again for a milkshake with slice of cake & definitely go their again if I was going out to eat in Bury St Edmunds with someone who is a vegetarian. It will never be my first choice as a place to eat, as I am not a vegetarian.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Suffolk
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bland food, absolutely dreadful service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

The dreadful service could have been forgiven if the food was delicious but it was very bland- nothing special about it whatsoever. I don't cook well, but even I could have thrown those disappointing dishes together at home. The table was stained and sticky despite having asked them to wipe it down- and the cups, jugs and cutlery were all dirty. My friends and I were having a late lunch so the lunch rush had passed- but once seated we still waited 20 mins before my friend had to go and bring a waiter over to take our order. Our food and drinks all arrived together 25 mins later (would have been nice to have a refreshing drink first!) and once we finished eating we sat waiting for 45 mins!! before going to fetch a waiter to clear our plates! We had not been approached once to see if our food was okay or if anything needed clearing. We had planned to try the cake and coffee for dessert but after the 45 mins we just got up and went over to pay. It's as though they had no interest in us whatsoever. This isn't a large restaurant and there were about 5 members of staff milling around-and we were in clear view of them on a large table by the window. An extremely disappointing experience for all of us and a shame because we are vegetarians and live close by so it could have been a regular meeting place for us. I very rarely write reviews but the quality of the food (which cost £9 per main dish) and the way we were treated was really shocking and we would advise people to steer clear of this place.

• Visited February 2013