“Bland food, absolutely dreadful service”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Josef's Vegetarian Cafe - CLOSED

Josef's Vegetarian Cafe
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Dining options: Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating
Dining options: Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating
Suffolk
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bland food, absolutely dreadful service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

The dreadful service could have been forgiven if the food was delicious but it was very bland- nothing special about it whatsoever. I don't cook well, but even I could have thrown those disappointing dishes together at home. The table was stained and sticky despite having asked them to wipe it down- and the cups, jugs and cutlery were all dirty. My friends and I were having a late lunch so the lunch rush had passed- but once seated we still waited 20 mins before my friend had to go and bring a waiter over to take our order. Our food and drinks all arrived together 25 mins later (would have been nice to have a refreshing drink first!) and once we finished eating we sat waiting for 45 mins!! before going to fetch a waiter to clear our plates! We had not been approached once to see if our food was okay or if anything needed clearing. We had planned to try the cake and coffee for dessert but after the 45 mins we just got up and went over to pay. It's as though they had no interest in us whatsoever. This isn't a large restaurant and there were about 5 members of staff milling around-and we were in clear view of them on a large table by the window. An extremely disappointing experience for all of us and a shame because we are vegetarians and live close by so it could have been a regular meeting place for us. I very rarely write reviews but the quality of the food (which cost £9 per main dish) and the way we were treated was really shocking and we would advise people to steer clear of this place.

1 Thank Blouche B

Stowmarket, United Kingdom
“Food OK Service Terrible Prices Too High”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

We had just moved to Suffolk and I was hoping i had found a new veggie place to eat. We popped in on a busy Saturday afternoon for lunch. We found our own place to sit and after 10 mins someone came to our table to take our order. 25 mins later!!! we were still waiting for our food, our drinks went to another table as did the cutlery! From what I could see one hand or member of staff had not idea what the other was doing.

Eventually the food arrived, it was OK but it did not reflect the price and we have not been back since. Its such a shame I love St Johns Street and the cafe is in a great location.

Come on Josef's get your act together, look at the price of the dish and get the staff to be aware.

• Visited April 2012
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
“Super yummy with lots of gluten, dairy free options”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

I have eaten here many times, today i tried the nicoise salad which usually has halloumi cheese in it but as I do not eat dairy they gave me vegan cheese with it instead and it was super yummy!! I love the fact that they can accomodate for people like me and the gluten/dairy free cakes are yummy too.

Once again I received a warm welcome and friendly service.

Will be back VERY soon.

1 Thank Jo M
“A bit bland”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

First time in bury today and though to try Josefs as from the outside it looked like it was going to be the kinda of place I enjoy,

Drink wise I went for the Chili and lime cordial ( I thought would be worth a go) - more Chili than Lime which I think is the wrong way round . Not the most refreshing or easy to drink .

Food wise I went for the Celeriac "steak" with potato wedges, field mushroom and roast tomato with a mustard sauce.... All in all I found it all a bit bland Was really hoping for some kind of spice or kick or texture but was all a bit meh . If I try this place again I wont be going for the Celeriac steak

.Cambridge
“Bit of a cliche”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

Had the soup and humus which was tasty but nothing special and the soup served was not as hot as it should be. The toilets were very shabby , not too clean and there was no loo roll! The decor is a bit cliched with kind of 70s faded decor done on the cheap, pity the food wasn't priced accordingly! Don't think you can get way with a shabby hippy interior if you charge top whack for your food!! Didn't stike me as the most hygienic place but the food was ok.

Visited January 2013