“Really lovely cafe in the centre of Bury”
Review of Gastrono-me

Gastrono-me
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Gastronome-me is a vibrant and eclectic casual restaurant. Serving early breakfast, brunch and lunch. Inspired by flavours from around the globe.
London, England
“Really lovely cafe in the centre of Bury”
Reviewed April 18, 2014

I visited with my husband today on the recommendation of a friend. Really enjoyed this cafe - one of the best hot cross buns ever tasted, as was the custard tart. Very difficult to make our choices as everything looked great. Will definitely go there again next time we are in the area.

• Visited April 2014
3 Thank KittenandTinks

“Fabulous”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Visited gastronome over the weekend with some family. This was our second visit after sampling a wonderful lunch last time we were in Bury.
This time we tried some of the fantastic cakes and coffee on offer. I had a fruit scone, which I have to say was genuinely the best scone I have ever eaten.
Service was faultless and very friendly. Ambience was great. We will certainly be making regular visits to this excellent establishment in the future

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank seashell1985
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Wow!”
Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

We stopped to look in the window at the bread and cakes, then decided to go in for lunch. The selection on the deli counter was amazing, really well presented and a wonderful selection of tempting vegetarian choices, eg Greek Roll, Moroccan Roll, bruschetta etc. It was hard to choose as everything looked so good, and when our food arrived the flavours certainly delivered. As we were sitting right next to the kitchen we could see other food coming out and everything looked, and smelled, lovely. The staff ( and proprietor who we also spoke to) were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. We also bought some breakfast Scotch Eggs to take home and - wow! - they were delicious.

Visited February 2014
2 Thank SteveFoss
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Friendly service and excellent food.”
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Simple menu but well done. Cosy atmosphere and very friendly staff. More of a cafe than a restaurant, lovely place to pop in for lunch.

• Visited December 2013
3 Thank Snips1979
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Disapointment”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

I took my young family for a treat after Christmas shopping. The Ginger cake was good but, the chocolate brownie lacked flavour. Most disappointing though was the eating-in charge which equated to an additional 66% on top of our already high bill. As there is no WC, and the seating comprises a few garden type plastic chairs and tables, it also exceedingly cheeky charging extra.
We wouldn't have minded the additional charge, however it was not mentioned anywhere before we received the bill. Apparently we are a 1 in 5000 customer who objected to the additional charge!
When we asked for justification, the manager was unable to show us anywhere where the charge is listed, and refused to refund the charge.

• Visited December 2013
7 Thank Andrew G
Mike S, Owner at Gastrono-me, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear Andrew G and family

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to visit our shop on Saturday afternoon, and I am genuinely very sorry that you didn't enjoy your experience with us.

Just so that other readers can put your comments into context, I would like to explain that we are a shop and cafe with a full menu, we produce over 60 different items of food on the premises, and all of which you are welcome to eat in or take away. Not all of those items are on our menu which was given to you when you sat down, however the brownie is the first dessert listed on our menu, bottom left.

The chocolate brownie which you mention is £2.45 should you wish to take it away in a paper bag and eat in a place of your choosing, should you wish to eat in (as it states in our menu) it is £4.25 and is served with a raspberry coulis and a choice of cream or ice cream, this too is stated in the menu.

For the record our menu is visible on the outside of the shop (A3 size) and is given to all customers who sit down with us.

Should you not understand why cafés, restaurants etc charge more to eat in, allow me the time to give you an explanation. First of all we have to charge vat as we are providing you with a service - a place to sit down, music to listen to, warmth, a roof over your head, a chair under your bottom, a plate napkin and cutlery, and a smiley person to bring it to your glass topped table.

Once you have eaten your food, relaxed and unwound, we then take your plate away and wash it up and clean up any crumbs you've left on the table, or indeed any of your own food that you decided to bring in and discard on the floor.

These are services that we and every other cafe provide, and we provide it so that the next person doesn't have to sit amongst the crumbs and discarded biscuits that you could happily have thrown over your own kitchen floor.

Leaving mandatory vat out of it, that service cost you £1.31 for the Brownie, and the Ginger cake £0.71

Your 'expensive' bill of £11.90 for two large cakes, and two drinks cost you an extra £2.02 over and above the mandatory vat charge.

So that others may know, our chocolate brownie which lacked flavour is made with a 76% cocoa solids chocolate, succulent ripe bananas and soft brown sugar. I don't know what other flavours you were expecting from a chocolate brownie, and the fact that you left more crumbs from the biscuits you brought with you, than crumbs on your brownie plate I would suggest you are trying to discredit gastrono-me out of spite.

This is perfectly understandable when the take out price for your two cakes and two drinks of £9.40 has suddenly rocketed to £11.90 By my calculations though that is some way short of the 66% you mentioned.

When you walked back into my shop and demanded a full refund, I was quite frankly astounded. You had fully finished your plates and drinks, spent 40 minutes at least with us, and not a single word of discontent uttered to any of my staff, or to me whilst eating, or indeed before paying.

I appreciate that you said you would tell all your friends and I noted the barbed comments you made to the table of 4 at the front of the shop when you left, which, given that two of them were children, was wholly inappropriate. However, their comments after eating with us were vehemently contradictory to yours even though they had the brownie.

We did try to explain all these things to you on Saturday calmly and politely, and I am sorry you have felt the need to regurgitate your complaint on Facebook and on here.