“nice food cooked simply and well”
Review of Bay Tree Cafe

Bay Tree Cafe
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Bay Tree Cafe Bistro has been an integral part of St Johns Street, one the loveliest areas in Bury St Edmunds, for more than 15 years. Being one the oldest buildings in the street we have been careful not go overboard with modernisation by keeping the interior subtle and furniture simple to offer a balance of cosy cafe and with a hint of modern bistro. With dining rooms on both the ground and first floors it is deceptively larger that it first appears. Our hope is that the Bay Tree's menus offer something for everyone; vegetarian dishes, dishes suitable for special diets and child portions.
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Been a couple of times and it is nice and very clean run by a very accomadating couple,will be back next time I am in st john st.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

nice independent cafe. good selection of light lunches available and usually quiet space upstairs. service always good.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

I love this place the staff the atmosphere and the menu are to be recommended nothing too much trouble. You can always ask for our preference with dressings etc and they are only,too happy to see you get exactly what you ask for.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

I have visited The Bay Tree several times in the last couple of weeks and have never been disappointed with the friendly service or the food. After using their take away service for lunches and coffee I took a friend there for lunch and it was lovely. The coffee and cakes are amazing and I would recommend it to everyone.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

The Bay Tree Cafe Bistro, is another great find in Bury St Edmunds.

The well priced cafe is inviting and comfortable with additional seating upstairs. The service is cheery, friendly and prompt.

The menu has a large range of foods to pick from, including: homemade cakes and pastries; breakfasts; light lunches; main meals, for example: savoury cheesecake, served with walnut salad (V); sandwiches and salads.

Both my mother and I ordered Prawn and Avocado, listed beneath sandwiches/salads. We decided to have it as a salad and each of us had a huge pile of prawns. It was delicious.

My only minor comment is: I would have preferred the salad to have been served without a dressing already drizzled on it, and to have been given a choice of salad dressings instead. The salad came with a pot of mayo for the prawns, but again I think it would be advantageous to offer a choice of either mayo, garlic mayo, salad cream or Marie Rose sauce.

I will certainly be recommending the cafe to my friends.