“old charm”

Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Bury St. Edmunds
Norwich, United Kingdom
“old charm”
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Just returned from meeting friends for lunch. 2 for 1 menu was chosen, interesting mix of dishes. My Hake main was superb, 2 of my friends had Suffolk Pork which showed great skill but served with no potato?
Its certainly not cheap but as a deal not to bad. BUT please paper napkins any price, NO NO.

Shall return in warmer weather to enjoy the gardens.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

I travel a fair bit around the UK with work and get to stay in all sorts of hotels. I've become quite fussy, as you do, so can be overly critical of some things.

This hotel is excellent.

Lovely setting, excellent rooms with classical decor but modern facilities.

Highly recommend you stay in the 'Oak' room if possible, it's spacious with a great bed.

Food from the restaurant is very good and I can highly recommend the Fish Stew. Beautiful.

When working in the area I wouldn't consider staying anywhere else (providing there's availability here).

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Sevenoaks Kent
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We stayed at this lovely old hotel for one night through the Secret Escapes offer and were not disappointed . We were upgraded from a Mews Room to the Oak Room complete with four poster bed and sloping floors, very traditional but clean and comfortable. The dinner with the 6 course tasting menu was very fine cuisine and really delicious. An excellent wine list with some interesting bottles of mature clarets and burgundies at reasonable prices. Apparently the owner Craig is a keen oenologist and the wine list certainly shows that. Decor is slightly quirky but very comfortable, and suits the place. We loved our stay and plan to return especially as the staff are so welcoming and friendly . Thank you!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Peterborough
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Hi everyone from Tania & Mark, we are the first of the "Secret Escapes" customers. Recently listed with Secret Escapes and quickly snapped up by ourselves. We stayed for one night Sunday 2nd of February 2014. We checked in at this superb privately owned hotel at 2.30pm and our room was excellent with lovely clean ensuite and a bed that King Henry would have been satisfied with! Helpful and knowledgeable staff put us at ease and a cream tea with real clotted cream & Kir Royale cocktails at 3.30 pm in front of a roaring log fire. At 7.30pm we indulged in the six course
'Taster' meal. The presentation , service and quality of the food were impossible to fault. All served with the ambience of an intimate dining room with substantial seating and plenty of space. This establishment has the stamp of the Owner's personality in every room and every aspect of service and hospitality. His team are well trained and obviously hand picked. The finest compliment we can give any hotel is simply that we would be happy for our family & friends to visit, safe in the knowledge that this little gem will not let us down. A very rare "Ten". Seek them out and enjoy some real old fashioned service with individual accomodation and food to die for. We are 50 somethings who felt at home from our arrival until we left. Spoiled and pampered. We have no hesitation giving our reccomendation. Mark & Tania.

• Stayed February 2014
Hastings, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2014

We had a very enjoyable stay here just before Christmas and would happily return in the future. The service was great. It was just a shame some of the furnishings in the restaurant were in such poor condition and had not been repaired.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sharrron
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at this Hotel many times for business over the last 15 years and its remained more or less unchanged except a large extension to the bar restaurant a few years ago which was a good thing.

It is full of quirky character not all of which is to everyone's tastes but I have to say that in all those years it's rare that I've had any negatives.

The food and wine selection is generally excellent and generally good value.

The bar area with the old log fire is lovely on a winter's evening , nevermind the smoke and the pictures of Craig's family ... So what ? Just relax and enjoy a lovely beer or glass of wine.

They do a great job here for the price and it's reassuring to walk in the door like I did last week after around 2 years and find it just as cosy as it was when I came last time

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Sweetcure
Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

I had the pleasure of staying here for 2 nights and in general I would recommend this hotel. Staff friendly, the dining areas and bar area comfortable and well presented as are the rooms.

Value for money was excellent, possibly due to booking online. If rooms not available online, do try calling direct as both of my colleagues initially tried booking online without success however when they called they wee able to find a room for each of them.

The location is very convenient for Bury St Edmunds via the A14 however the road noise was quite bad, especially if the wind happened to be blowing towards the hotel. One other observation, although this didn't affect me as it was by no means warm when I stayed I could see that in hot weather my room would be uncomfortable as no air conditioning and only one small window you could open (on the A14 side of the hotel, of course!!). Difficult to know how this can be resolved as the building is old and installing air conditioning may not be possible.

I was staying with 2 colleagues and we had varying experiences of the rooms. The rooms in general were very good, clean and with good quality furnishings and towels, my bath sheets in particular were HUGE! However some of the furniture was quite tired/in poor condition and there was a lack of some basic things you would normally expect to find in the hotel rooms; pad of notepaper, pen etc. Gideon's bible, of course, was present.... Internet access in my room was patchy at best despite 3 different networks being 'visible' in my room and a total of about 10 access points across the hotel (each with a different password!!??).... This is something that could resolve very easily and with little or no cost.

In my room, the mattress was incredibly hard, one colleague had a really soft and saggy mattress and the other had a very good mattress. I know that mattresses can be a personal choice (just ask the Three Bears and Goldilocks) so difficult to find a happy compromise however I would have expected all to have been the same?

The bathroom was clean and in good general condition, the water pressure on the second morning was poor on the fixed shower head (probably due to more guests staying) but the handheld shower worked fine.

I also reported a dripping tap which was attended to during the day, however the maintenance guy had left muddy footprints in the bathroom which was disappointing and the drip, although improved, was still present; new tap(s) required here I think?

Although we didn't have the opportunity to sample the restaurant in the evening, we did see meals being served and they looked absolutely amazing!!!

The breakfast offered had quite a lot of variety and was of good quality although service was very slow so allow extra time for breakfast if you're on a tight schedule.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business