“Wonderful location, great room and easy parking”
Review of The Angel Hotel

The Angel Hotel
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Bury St. Edmunds
Reviewed July 28, 2014

We stayed at The Angel for two nights to attend my daughter's wedding. The location for that was ideal as the Registry Office is about 50 yards to the right.
The hardest part of the whole weekend was actually getting to the location, Bury St Edmunds is so difficult to drive round and we made three false turns before getting to the hotel. Perhaps I should have used the satnav rather than knowing best.
This hotel is opposite the gate to the Abbey Gardens with the Cathedral to the right as one looks from the top of the stairs. There is parking outside but this will cost the owner during the daytime. The hotel has it's own parking area operated by valet parking to optimise space. Certainly during our stay the car was moved several times without damage. Coming out of the front door turn left and immediately left again and the reader will be able to wander into the town. Turn right and carry on one will pass the brewery before reaching the Theatre Royal.
Check in was easy and we received a cheery greeting and our allocated room was ready for us. Neither of us suffers from a disability but if we did I think it would be difficult. The hotel seems to have at least one step to get in from any of the three entry points I found.
Our room was modern with a huge bed, flat screen television, and a very nice bathroom. The only criticism I had with the bathroom was that the plug did not work in the sink, therefore water was running away whilst I shaved, so not overly green.
We did not have dinner at the hotel but can confirm that the breakfast has starters and a cooked section. The orange juice was fresh and the Suffolk breakfast well cooked and substantial.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank b11lrs
Stuart H, Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

Dear Sir,

Thank you for sending us your positive feedback, it is always nice to hear positive feedback to pass on to my team.

I hope you and your Daughter had a day to remember.

It was a pleasure to welcome you to The Angel, I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed July 25, 2014

I hope the hotel is better than the restaurant. I booked a lunch meal that took forever to arrive and when it did it, it was of poor quality, cold, greasy, and therefor overpriced. What a disappointment after last time when it was excellent. There only redeeming feature was that they handled it with professionalism and changed the bill. All glamour no substance

Room Tip: Cannot vouch for hotel only reviewed restaurant
Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Janet S
Stuart H, Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2014

Dear Janet,

Thank you for taking the time write your review regarding your recent disappointing lunch experience with us. It is always helpful to receive feedback from our guests in order that we may endeavour to improve the service and comfort we offer. I am glad we were able to offer a professional solution on the day.

Please accept my sincere apologies for your disappointment with regards to the service you received and the issues you had with your food, this is not the standard I expect our guests to receive and I will be speaking with my Restaurant Manager and Head Chef with regards to this.

I certainly would not want this to be your lasting impression of The Angel Hotel. Please contact me directly if you wish to discuss your experience Stuart@theangel.co.uk

Once again my sincere apologies and I would like to thank you for your constructive feedback.

Reviewed July 23, 2014

Gorgeous hotel, picturesque setting. Noisy with traffic and bright sunshine despite closed curtains meant no sleep in after very late / heavy night. Suite was big, glamorous and very comfy bed. Breakfast was outstanding - full Suffolk adapted for vegetarian. Scrummy!

Room Tip: Suite was large and well appointed - hip decorations
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo

I have had a look at the curtains and new ones are on order.

Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

The breakfast was very good except one could not go to a buffet table to choose one's breakfast cereals & juices. You had to order by the waiter for all your breakfast. The waiter's tried their very best.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank anthonyderek

Dear Anthony,

Our breakfast service is all table service to make it personal to you offering starters of cereals, croissants, fresh fruit salad, home made smoothie, Greek yoghurt then allowing you time to relax before our Suffolk grill or perhaps some pancakes. Apologies if your juice was not topped up during your breakfast.

Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed our one night stay in the angel... Check-in and check out very efficient. Concierge/porter excellent!! Lounge service a little slow and we were nearly charged for someone else's gin..
Breakfast good lots of choice and a waiter service! Would recommend.

Stayed: July 2014

Dear ShanghaiSezy,

Thank you for sending us your positive feedback, it is always nice to hear positive feedback to pass on to my team especially my concierge team, Rick will be delighted.

Apologies for the near miss with the gin!

Reviewed July 13, 2014

Appears to be an old coaching style hotel with character.
First stay at this hotel right in the centre of town
Hotel parks your car at the rear - you still have access
We chose our own bedroom on a bed & breakfast basis with view of Cathedral gardens and town square.
Excellent large bedroom with full facilities
Restaurant good but dinner and evening meal menus overly fancy for us.
We found lounge area a little tight on space.
Shops within easy walking distance plus beautiful Cathedral gardens to wander around
A great stop over on our journey south - a very short distance from A1

Room Tip: We had a first floor room (Ivy room suite) with view of town square and Cathedral gardens. Very hot...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear John,

We are looking for a solution to keep our ivory suites cool, hoping we can offer air-conditioning when they are refurbished.

Reviewed July 12, 2014

We stayed here the night before and the night of our wedding. This hotel is excellent. The outside is amazing, the bars and restaurants are are beautiful and really cool. The rooms and the bathrooms are excellent, really luxurious. The bed was so comfortable, everything about the hotel surpassed our expectations. The breakfast was delicious.

The staff were so helpful and couldn't do enough to help us.

I can't recommend this hotel highly enough.

Room Tip: try to get a front room the view over the abbey is beautiful
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Stephen,

I hope your big day was a great day and some amazing memories were made.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bury St. Edmunds
#6 of 10 in Bury St. Edmunds
Ravenwood Hall Country Hotel
Ravenwood Hall Country Hotel
#4 of 10 in Bury St. Edmunds

Been to The Angel Hotel? Share your experiences!