“The Angel”

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Bury St. Edmunds
Great Dunmow, United Kingdom
“The Angel”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

My boyfriend surprised me for a Valentine's weekend this year with a trip to this lovely hotel. We stayed two nights and really enjoyed the hotel.

The room decor and cleanliness was amazing. We had a great selection of complimentary tea/coffee/ hot choc in the room as well as 2 valentine's biscuits which was a sweet gesture.

Very central location right next to Abbey ruins and Cathedral. We ate in the restaurant and tried the room service as we couldn't find a table anywhere on the Saturday night! The food was delicious, if a little expensive.

The people were very friendly and desk and valet service was great. Only thing I could complain about was that it took about half an hour to bring us up a room service menu. They were redecorating the lobby area while we were there so that was a bit off-putting but overall didn't affect our stay.

Overall, I would thoroughly recommend for a romantic weekend away.

LynnCowan, Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear Guest

It was lovely to read your review on your Valentines stay at The Angel Hotel. I glad to read that you had a wonderful time and we hope to be welcoming you back in the near future.

With Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
Downham Market, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We stayed here due to the location in Central Bury as we had attended a wedding the day before and wished to look round Bury the next day. I have always wanted to stay here as my parents had spent their honeymoon here and being originally from Suffolk had visited Bury and Abbey gardens many times. I am so so disappointed with the hotel. While we only paid for a basic room (as we knew we would not be in the room for long) I do expect a certain standard - wallpaper was peeling off the walls especially in the bathroom, mould on the ceiling and a large hole out the plaster behind the door. Breakfast the next day I asked for poached egg on toast, when it arrived the yolk was hard and after the disappoint of the room I decided (for the first time ever in my life) to send it back! Second time around my yolks were soft but now the toast was burnt! How can you get this simple breakfast wrong, I was so annoyed that I couldn't be bothered to complain again!! On return to the room we then had no power in the bathroom! Queued to checkout as it was a busy time and that's ok but then handed in key and was not asked if everything was ok by the receptionist. I couldn't believe they did not care - even in a premier inn I have better service and rooms!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Elaine S
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Situated centrally (as far as I could tell) and with an excellent view of the impressive abbey, this hotel is sure to be a safe bet for business or leisure travel. The lobby, lounge, downstairs bar and restaurant are all very well designed with quirky decorations and the front desk staff were very friendly. My room was spotless and well proportioned and I appreciated the modern bathroom. I slept well and rose early to take advantage of the fantastic breakfast on offer. I had pancakes - just for fun - but the 'Suffolk breakfast' looked good too!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
LynnCowan, Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on your stay The Angel Hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your time with us and I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Stayed here for one night 13th/14th February, as valentines/birthday stay. Ate at lunchtime and was very impressed with the food. The bar in the cellar was also very interesting and something I never realised was there despite visiting Bury St Edmunds on many occaisions. The bar was almost empty when we were there which was a pity as it is an excellent feature, though the fact that drinks are much cheaper elsewhere may have been the reason. The decor is interesting to say the least, a real eclectic mix which keeps you looking throughout your stay. We had a spacious room, with a modern bathroom overlooking the Abbey Gate and the wooden shutter did indeed keep the noise out as the old fashioned sash windows probably wouldn't have done so alone. There was complimentary tea, coffee & water in the room, and a nice selection of toileteries in the bathroom. The staff we encountered were all very pleasant and helpful. The lounge was also very nice, (although it was being decorated in part during our stay) Overall we throughoughly enjoyed our visit and would definately stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Daniel Defoe room which has a "balcony" over the front door, and overlook...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
LynnCowan, Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear Guest

I appreciate you taking the time to leave a review on your stay at The Angel Hotel. It was lovely to read that you had a wonderful time with us and we hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Brentwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2014

An imposing town centre hotel that looks very traditional from the outside but inside proved to be very stylish retaining its character whilst delivering up to date facilities. The restaurant was busy on the evening that we ate there but had a great atmosphere and the food was wonderful. Breakfast was equally good with a more relaxed feel. We were offered an upgrade on our room for a very reasonable price but to be honest the standard room was more than adequate, if a little small. I would like to have had bathrobes in the room but that would be our only criticism. The staff were very professional and nothing was too much trouble. A great two nights and we look forward to returning.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
LynnCowan, Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments on your stay at The Angel Hotel. I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and I hope we can welcome you back to The Angel Hotel in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

The Angel is one of the best hotels in Bury. The staff are ever so friendly, the food is excellent and it is very conveniently located! Would recommend for business or pleasure. It is even more stunning in the summer as it is covered by ivy and pink flowers which are beautiful!

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely comments about your stay at The Angel Hotel. It was wonderful to read about your time with us an I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 12, 2014

I know the Angel Hotel really well:......the most significant plus about it is the interior decoration, which is shared with it's sister hotel, the Salthouse Harbour Hotel, Ipswich....I stayed at the Angel this Xmas, in a room overlooking the cathedral, which was brilliantly and imaginatively decorated, and which included a free standing copper bath...the hotel lounge has a vast log fire surrounded by comfortable sofas..I love this hotel, above any other I have stayed in .in Europe....a bit of an 'o.t.t.' review, but deserved!

Room Tip: see review
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
LynnCowan, Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Dear Guest

I appreciate you taking the time to leave a review on your stay at The Angel Hotel. It was lovely to read comments and I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bury St. Edmunds
Premier Inn Bury St Edmunds Town Centre Hotel
Premier Inn Bury St Edmunds Town...
#1 of 11 in Bury St. Edmunds
All Saints Hotel
#6 of 11 in Bury St. Edmunds
Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham
Salthouse Harbour Hotel

Been to The Angel Hotel? Share your experiences!