The Angel Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
The Chantry Hotel(Bury St. Edmunds)
View Hotel
Best Western Priory Hotel(Bury St. Edmunds)
View Hotel
All Saints Hotel(Bury St. Edmunds)
Tuddenham Mill(Tuddenham)
1,283 results
All reviewswingspan barcopper bathcharles dickenscellar barabbey gardenssister hotelromantic suiteparked our carsuffolk grilllovely hotelafternoon tealounge areathe ground floorcentral locationstayed here for one nightlovely roomfour poster bed
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We've often lunched at the Angel as we live locally and this weekend being my birthday, husband phoned for a table on Friday. Told that they were exceptionally busy we agreed to be there at 12.10pm. No one else there! Decided to seat ourselves at a better table instead of the proposed dark corner. Grouchy waitress called out that it was booked. I asked when for? '1.30 'she replied. I told her we'd be gone by then. After 15mins this surly waitress took our drinks order. We waited again... A more cheerful girl arrived with the starters about 35mins after we'd arrived ON TIME. At 12.50pm the mains arrived. Nothing special. Husband's roast beef was in a shallow bowl and the Yorkshire pudding was presented on a separate platter, with no gravy. When I was asked if everything was OK? I suggested that a dry Yorkshire pudding needed gravy, even if it were in a little jug. I don't think the water understood my suggestion. So, we didn't stay for dessert or coffee. We were fearful of encroaching on the next coupe's booking. We left feeling unwelcome. it was a disappointing experience for what should have been a happy birthday meal. Next time we'll go to Maison Bleue where we're always welcomed warmly and the food is superior! i don't think the Angel will be seeing us until they change their attitude to customers!

Room Tip: We just used the Restaurant.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank norfolkduchess10
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Stayed at The Angel a number of times on Business trips. Rooms are clean and well serviced. Breakfast excellent. Waiter service rather than those awful buffets you get in most business hotels.
Recommended.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a family Birthday at the beginning of February 2013, there were 8 of us in 4 rooms. From pulling up at the hotel the valet parking was an excellent touch as parking is expensive in central Bury and was very efficient at the hotel. The porter also took our bags out of the car and then showed us to our room after checking in. Our room was very comfortable, modern and clean and on the ground floor just across a courtyard from Reception. Two of the other rooms were upstairs in the main hotel and although I did not see them it was commented that they were in need of a little update. We all met up in the lounge in front of a lovely, huge open fire with plenty of comy sofas and had coffees, very reasonably priced considering the hotel and the location. The hotel is very central, right opposite the abbey gardens and cathedral, and just a few minutes walk from the shops. A couple of us had problems with the plugs (as in they dont stay in, so you cannot fill a basin of water), but after a phone call to Reception they brought an additional plug over. We also seemed unable to control the A/C, but this was probably just us, although we have never had a problem before, but cannot really complain about this as if it had been a major problem we would have rung Reception. The staff were all excellent in Reception and porters etc. It sometimes took a little while to get served in the lounge, but the coffees and the hot chocolates were excellent. Breakfast was good quality and plenty of choice, although I personally prefer a buffet so you can select what you want, and when I asked for Pastries after cereal and a cooked breakfast, although I was brought them I was made to feel as if I was greedy and they were very dry, not up to the standard of the other food. We did not eat in the restaurant in the evening or lunchtime, so cannot comment on this. The downstairs Vault Bar was very original. It is in the old cellars and has been tastefully decorated with little alcoves and lots of comfy seating. Again on check-out the Reception and Porter staff were fantastic, and as it was a Sunday and not too busy we were able to leave our car in their car park for a few hours whilst we explored Bury some more. We paid £100 per room a week before we went, normally price apparently £160. I defintely would not have paid £160 for the room B&B. I would recomment this hotel if you want to visit Bury and be in a central location.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I spent a business trip here in February 2013. The location is excellent, in the heart of the 'city' with access to plenty of pubs and history. It was easy to get to. Parking wasn't an issue as I was only there for the evening but it does seem quite limited if you're stopping for a bit longer and need somewhere to leave the car. That said, there's plenty of space out front for those who are only there for a night. Can't help but think they should prioritise the private parking for those who need it during the day?
Back to the hotel; the food was great, the rooms were clean and comfy and it's rare I say that for a ground floor room.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Stayed last week on business. Downstairs was superb the staff were very attentive without being pushy and made you feel very welcome, they even do valet parking. However my room was absolutely freezing and the Sash windows rattled all night long. I live in a draughty Victorian house however this was bigger and draughtier than anything I am used to, a real shame.