“Enjoyable Stay”
Review of The Angel Hotel

The Angel Hotel
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Bury St. Edmunds
Reviewed May 23, 2012

We arrived on a Thursday for a three night stay for a wedding and were instantly greeted by the concierge who took care of our car and parked it behind the hotel (free of charge). Receptionist was friendly and offered us an upgrade to a 'Romantic' room for an extra £50 per night. We had a look at the room which was right on the top (3rd) floor, at the front and the furthest away from the stairs, so we agreed. Our luggage was then carried up to our room. We were told there was a lift but as it was the other side of the hotel we never used it. The room turned out to be very quiet and comfortable with easy chairs, a couple of small tables and adequate room to move about and store luggage.

We had a few niggles about the room-
*There was a large damp patch on the carpet when we arrived?!!
*The shower did not have constant hot water and at times the sudden rush of icy cold water took your breath away.
*The large windows overlooked the small square and would have benefited from nets to maintain our privacy while the curtains were open.

We ate in the restaurant for breakfast and also had one lunch and one dinner. Breakfast was very good, but I wouldn't recommend the omelette as I had to send mine back as it wasn't cooked all the way through and the second one that came was just as bad. There are a good selection of dishes, including fresh fruit, cereals, fruit juice and cooked items. Everything is waiter/ress delivered to your table.

Lunch was delicious - I had a hake dish and it was beautifully cooked, my husband had fish and chips and got a huge portion.

Dinner turned out to be less enjoyable. The waitress that took my order ordered the wrong food for me. I sent this back, also explaining I did not want a creamy sauce. I got the correct order but it came with the creamy sauce. This was very quickly whisked away and replaced by a waiter who brought it without the creamy sauce. The food we chose for dinner was ok but could have been better. The service was efficient and friendly apart from one or two of the waitresses who seemed to be very forgetful!

Many of the items in the restaurant are locally sourced and the locally grown asparagus was delicious.

The position of the hotel is excellent, there is paid parking outside and just around the corner are a multitude of shops, cafes and restaurants.

All in all we had a very pleasant stay and would recommend the Angel to anyone visiting the area.

Room Tip: The road in front is not very noisy so most rooms should be quiet at night
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Lotusflower4
Write a ReviewReviews (1,262)

Reviewed May 21, 2012

Spent one night on dinner, b&b deal - extremely good value - for husband's birthday treat. Yes this hotel does need re decorating but we found that the comfort and warmth of the service more than makes up for this. Although the hotel was packed we were greeted with friendly efficiency, our car was parked free of charge for us and our case carried to our cosy room. Everything we needed was there including DECENT COFFEE, hurrah! Our dinner was really very good, good quality local produce, as was breakfast. Check out easy with the car delivered to just outside the front door. It's in a great location there's plenty to do & see in Bury and near by chocolate box picture villages.
We found this hotel quirky, sorta east Berlin-ish somehow. We loved it and would definitely return.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 16, 2012

We recently stayed here for a friends wedding and we stayed in room 463 (I think), it was one of the suites, the rate was £250 per night, which is about average for a suite in a small hotel, however, do you expect a certain level. The hotels staff were fantastic, they could not have been more helpful, friendly or customer orientated and if we had not paid for a suite, I would most definetly go running back to this place.

The room was large, with an amazing bathroom, that the most awesome free standing copper tub in the middle of the Room and a large double size walkin shower. The decor was really up to date with touches such as iPod docking stations and large tv.

The downside, the room was not as clean as you would expect for this cost level, the coffee tray had a box that coffee,milk, tea etc had been put into it, rather than it laid nicely on a tray with options of twinings and fresh milk, that you would expect in a suite, small things like marks on the floor and wall paper marked, again, I know these things can't be helped but if the other elements were perfect you would not notice.

The breakfast was lovely and the options of fresh fruit, smoothies and fully cooked went down well. I really must emphasis how good the customer service was and if we had been in a standard room my review may be different. So if you want a short break in a standard room you will probably find this fantastic, I just do not think the suites are quite worth the cost. At best I would have paid £150, for £250 you expect and usually get those extra touches.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank victoria t
Reviewed May 15, 2012

My husband booked us into the Angel Hotel for my birthday, for 1 night with dinner & breakfast.

We were very impressed with the hotel staff on arrival and check in, especially with the staff that offered to park our car and helped with our bags. Great Service.

Hotel Restaurant - We had a table booked for 7.30pm and was shown to our table by a friendly waiter. Service was slow and we weren’t overly impressed with our starter. We ordered the linguine dish, which we found very bland and tasteless and as an Italian, an offer of parmesan cheese would have been nice, at least it would have given the dish some taste, but instead I had to drown it in pepper. We also thought the wine was ridiculously priced.

Room – Lovely room with high ceilings and an adequate bathroom. We were on the 2nd floor at the back of the hotel and we found the traffic noise hell. Not sure what time it started, but it was very early and extremely noisy, with what sounded like lorries driving up and down. Was hoping for a relaxing night sleep, with no early wake up calls, but the traffic noise was just dreadful.

Breakfast was a lovely treat though and service was excellent.

Overall, we had a nice stay at the Angel hotel and we loved Bury St Edmunds.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 8, 2012

From reading the reviews here, I expected something a lot different. Our stay was average, room was fine, but bathroom could do with painting. Parking was limited, so meant leaving the car keys with staff for them to try park your car. Check in was slow, seemed to be a large wedding party in the hotel and staff were struggling to cope.

We had dinner in the restaurant and food was lovely, however after half an hour of waiting for our dessert, the waitress admitted she had forgotten to put the order in. Decided to have a nightcap, but they had no Bacardi or other white rums, found this quite strange.

Breakfast was good, service much better than previous evening.

Was my partner's birthday and I had mentioned this on the restaurant booking request. Thought they could have at least wished him a happy birthday, but this was never mentioned.

All in all, was a disappointing stay but the town of Bury St Edmunds made up for what the hotel lacked

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 8, 2012

I recently stayed at the Angel in Bury, while my stay as part of a large group for a family wedding was pleasant; the hotel was over pricey for the range of services on offer. As part of the group we received a group discount rate, but even at the lower than usual price the hotel was still greatly overpriced.

From a location point of view I give the Angel top marks overlooking the abbey and within 3 minutes of the centre of the town. I only ate breakfast in the hotel’s restaurants which was excellent and had a varied menu which I sample different items over the course of my stay.

The car parking attendees were top notch and also will to carry a bag to a room or fetch our car at a drop of a hat. Overall a more than pleasant stay but at a high price.

Room Tip: Ask for a room which don't overlook the back of the hotel as it can be noisey when bins are beei...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 2, 2012

Nothing was too much trouble for this hotel and its staff. They carried things, volunteered, were there in a second to create a ramp for my wheelchair, and were decent caring human beings.

The food was excellent especially the American style waffle cake thingies and smoothies, and portion size very good indeed.

I also enjoyed the vaguely Navado-style decor - vaguely kitsch but all in all it hung together and the quality of the towels, super smooth and clean sheets and bathroom things was top.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bury St. Edmunds
Best Western Priory Hotel
Best Western Priory Hotel
#7 of 10 in Bury St. Edmunds
Premier Inn Bury St Edmunds Town Centre Hotel
Premier Inn Bury St Edmunds Town...
#1 of 10 in Bury St. Edmunds
#4 of 10 in Bury St. Edmunds
All Saints Hotel
All Saints Hotel
#2 of 10 in Bury St. Edmunds

Been to The Angel Hotel? Share your experiences!