“Brewery visit-Great Present or treat yourself”

Greene King Brewery
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Attached to the beautiful Greene King brewery, our beer cafe is open Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm and Saturday 10am to 6pm. Brunch and Lunch served Monday to Friday 8am - 2pm Saturday 10am - 3pm. We have Brewery Tours everyday and a shop for beers, clothing and gifts. Upstairs we have a great party venue for up to 45 people. Call us on 01284 714297 - Cheers!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator
Reviewed January 6, 2013

A present from my Daughter-Really enjoyable,informative and interesting tour of a fine old brewery. With a bonus at the end to partake in tasting a selection of the "fine brews"
Many thanks to Susan our knowledgeable guide (her favourite tipple was the Abbot Ale)!

Reviewed December 31, 2012

My husband was bought this tour as a present from my daughter. I tagged along! Right from the start our guide, Susan, was enthusiastic and very knowledgeable. We had an hours worth of very informative tour and then got down to the crux of the whole tour - the sampling! Most ales were available from the easy to drink IPA right through to Abbot Reserve. Golden Hen was lovely but my favourite was Abbot Ale. Its rich fulsome flavour took me back to my youth in Norfolk when I consumed quite a bit! It was like greeting an old friend after many years absence. Susan is clearly a woman who loves her work and I think she must have one of the best jobs in England!

Reviewed December 27, 2012

Thanks to Maureen the brewery tour guide for her informative and knowledgable history of the brewery and the brewing processes used in the past and currently. Following the tour we were able to sample several different beers in the brewery's own private drinking place. While sampling the beers we also sampled the off shoot products that Greene King sell e.g. chutney containing Old Speckled Hen and mustard with Abbot Ale. Bury St Edmunds is a very nice market town and the Brewery Tour is a very pleasant way to spend a couple of hours.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

Pouring with rain, windy so totally wet on the outside. After being made welcome at the visitor centre, we were greeted by our tour guide, Mike, who gave the impression he waqs somebody who loved his job. Tour was very informative and well worth the reasonable fee. One thing that I think is missing from the Visitor Centre website is the fact you have to negotiate over 100 steps, this may be a problem for people with mobility issues. The tour ends in the tap room, where very generous samples are freely available, leaving you totally wet on the inside. One final tip....if you like your ale, ensure you are not the designated driver!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Tour lasted about an hour and included visits in the original Greene King brewery which is still in use today and also included a very ample sampling of the goodies in the brewery tap which lasted a good half hour. Probably best to avoid driving as the samples were plentiful, we tried about 6 or 7 types of beer. After the tour you can buy bottles or cans as well as other merchandise in the gift shop. Beer was reasonably priced and if you bought 6 bottles you got a free hessian carry bag which holds up to 8 bottles. They also sell a very yummy marmelade and a mustard. A very good tour for £9 per person. Only problem we had was the lack of car park spaces (there are only three out front and one of these is for disabled). If you walk down into the town you can use the pay and display but beware you are limited on the amount of time you can park there and cannot return within 4 hours.