“Call that a Christmas menu!!”
Review of The Flying Fortress - CLOSED

The Flying Fortress
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
“Call that a Christmas menu!!”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Went Thursday evening for a work Christmas do. The Christmas menu states choice of turkey, beef, gammon with traditional accompaniments. We were asked to pre-book so they knew what we were expecting. We asked for turkey but was told it was "carvery" and you have whatever meat is on that day. We had a choice of beef, about enough pork for two people and an insufficient amount of vegetables. The desserts too were very sad looking. There was a fresh fruit salad that had seen better days but you could not identify any "fresh" fruit. A bowl of yellow mush. The room we were in was cold and the service was poor. By 9.30 the pub was empty, we had clearly outstayed our welcome. The landlord followed us out and locked the door behind us, turning off the lights and leaving us in a dark car park. Clearly the landlord does not want to do this any more. If you go past on a Sunday there are lots of cars but if you go in the week be prepared to have Sunday's leftovers!

Visited December 2013

Gt Yarmouth
“pamspoint”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Had a family reunion on Sunday, totalling 15 adults. Very friendly and efficient staff. The carvery which most of us had was very good. Four choices of meat, cooked to perfection and the selection of veg was good. Two of the group had fish which was also enjoyed. All in all a successful meal. Would certainly return.

• Visited November 2013
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Had a Sunday carvery for the fmily.”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

7 of us dined and we were all pleased with the meal. Well trained staff, couteous, friendly hosts and very good food.
Just what a carvery is all about with a choice of four meats. One slight crtisism would be that the beef was slightly over-cooked.

• Visited November 2013
suffolk
“disgusting”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

went thursday been twice before menus handed out nothing on there i fancied. was offered a burger and chips to be cooked I dont think my dog could have bitten through it, the salad was all middle lettuce and bitter, the tomatoes were rank was offered french dressing got given vinegar and balsamic vinegar offered dressing two was vinegar and mustard not charged for meal. The chef was new no excuse basic dresssing are taught however the carvery looked nice but I wasnt going to chance it. Go back absolutely not unless the "chef" goes and I hear good reports

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank petersparty
Oxford
“Beyond the call of duty”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Called in last Tuesday but found the kitchen closed. Didn't really want to drive anywhere, so Keith very kindly arranged for a Chinese takeaway to be delivered to the pub for me. When I mentioned that I would be looking for something to eat the following night, Keith very kindly offered to put me a plateful of roast up from his own dinner. I really don't think that you would get that level of service in many places and I feel that Keith went above and beyond the call of duty for me. The meal was tasty and plentiful as usual and the beer excellent.
Thanks Keith.