“Beyond the call of duty”
Review of The Flying Fortress - CLOSED

The Flying Fortress
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Oxford
“Beyond the call of duty”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Called in last Tuesday but found the kitchen closed. Didn't really want to drive anywhere, so Keith very kindly arranged for a Chinese takeaway to be delivered to the pub for me. When I mentioned that I would be looking for something to eat the following night, Keith very kindly offered to put me a plateful of roast up from his own dinner. I really don't think that you would get that level of service in many places and I feel that Keith went above and beyond the call of duty for me. The meal was tasty and plentiful as usual and the beer excellent.
Thanks Keith.

• Visited September 2013

“Microwaved disaster !”
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Myself and five other family members came here for a celebratory dinner. The landlord and landlady were lovely, friendly and chatty.
However the food was a complete letdown for most of us. The Carvery was the meals of choice and the beef was like shoe leather. I had one mouthful and left the rest ! The vegetables were barely cooked, and I don't mind a little crunch but the carrots, broccoli and cabbage were practically raw. The roast potatoes, however were cooked, and double cooked and were so tough, you could tell they had been heated up in the microwave because parts of the potatoes had that over cooked solid skin in some areas. The gravy was lovely.
Dessert mainly was ok but the crumble was microwaved with custard from a carton poured over it. Parts of the crumble were burnt and in edible. Shame really as I had eaten here about two years ago and the food was much better then.
The food is not cooked fresh, it is heated, reheated and reheated again. I will not be coming here again.

Visited August 2013
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
“Quirky, but good!”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We went to the Sunday carvery, so cannot comment on what food is like off the menu or at other times of the week. But when we went it was lovely, the food was great, good sized amount of meat given out to you, and a great selection of vegetables. The place is bizarre, it's like having a meal in someone's sitting room, but the quirkiness works for them. And they have a good range of real ales of tap, and other drinks on a large bar.

• Visited July 2013
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Dreadful Lunch”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I went to the Flying Fortress with a group of friends for lunch and ordered "pork ribs". Guess what ?? Exactly as reported by a lady earlier this year I too was served with a pork chop covered in a strong tasting sticky sauce! The food provided to the rest of our party left a lot to be desired, but my simple message about the Flying Fortress near Bury St Edmunds is to keep flying and land somewhere else. The service was fine, but that apart, I have nothing positive to say about this restaurant or its food. Give it a miss.

Visited July 2013
Wharton, Texas
“Great Restaurant for B-17 Aircraft Enthusiasts”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We had lunch at The Flying Fortress after having visited two WWII airfields at Deopham Green and Great Ashfield. We had a fairly light lunch, arriving just before they closed for the afternoon on May 29, 2013. The photographs and memorabilia are worth the visit to this restaurant! The lunch was fine and I'm glad we stopped here.

• Visited May 2013