“Lovely B & B! Highly recommended!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bury St. Edmunds
St Edmunds Guest House
Wayside, New Jersey
“Lovely B & B! Highly recommended!”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I have stayed at the St. Edmunds Guest House 4 times now and am coming up on my 5th visit. What a lovely establishment!! I highly recommend it! A wonderful staff Tony, Karen, Pauline and Gail and even Tony's mum, all who have always made me feel most welcome and have been most accommodating!

The place is very clean, spacious, the beds are very comfortable, they have WiFi, the breakfast room is very cheerful and the the breakfasts are wonderful, what a delicious way to start each day! There is a desk in the room and a small kettle with tea,coffee and hot cocoa and some tasty biscuits every day. The bathroom is very clean and spacious with nice large towels. They have really been most accommodating in every way possible!! Great location, a short walk into the town center, less than 4 min... a Tesco's Express right at the top of the street. However Marks & Spencer's is just a bit further and is a much better shopping experience right off the town square.
It is also only a couple of blocks to the bus/coach station and about a 5 min walk to the train station as well. A car is really not necessary if you are just staying in town. There is a flatscreen TV with an alarm, a nice wardrobe, a hairdryer in the desk and an ironing station and iron. I loved that convenience for ironing my clothes after travel!

I've never experienced some of the negatives mentioned such as clouds of cigarette smoke or rudeness of any kind. I have nothing but kind words and superlatives for the St. Edmund's Guest House!!! I will continue to stay here on my visits to Bury St. Edmunds.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank sciencetraveler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Manchester
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed for the May bank holiday Fri & Sat for a wedding just outside of Bury.

Location
This hotel is a great location for Bury St Edmunds centre. We walked in to the town from the hotel it took us 5 mins with a pram. It’s also easy to find and not too far from the A14. There is parking outside for after 7 or for an hour so you can drop your stuff off etc. They have a little piece of land for 4 at the side which is not very easily accessible so we did struggle for parking when we returned Sat night at 10.

General
As we have an 8 month old baby this was ideal for us. Check in was quick and the owner even pointed us in the direction of the local pub for some food at 8pm. (The Bushell I think – very reasonable/quick service and food was homemade and priced reasonable.) We brought our own but they offered to provide one. They also had highchair but again we brought our own booster and they were fine to let us use this on a chair in the breakfast room. The breakfast was cereal and then cooked. They had a choice of juice which wasn’t the nicest – but I do like fresh none concentrate stuff, it was definitely drinkable. The cooked breakfast was cooked fresh and similar to what you would expect. Service was really friendly and they even offered to get in certain stuff if we needed which I thought was a nice touch. They had a communal area with dining table, comfy chairs, Fridge & microwave. The fridge was really handy for us as we brought fresh food for our little girl that we could store. They also had a nice decked area and garden outside if you were to spend more time there.

Rooms
We had the basement room which was a double with space for a travel cot. The bed I think was a super king. There was all your usual stuff you get including enough hangers in the wardrobe. They also provided hair dryer, shower gel and extra pillows, handy to know if you’re travelling light. Free Wifi was also very useful. There wasn’t much road noise – although the curtains didn’t quite reach the window sill and not sure whether they were blackout. With a young baby not handy when the sun comes up at 5 am. Shower was ok in terms of pressure and heat, but needed a decent shower head on. Rooms were very clean and smelt nice and fresh.

Noise – as it is a small hotel it was a bit of a problem with noise. Its a fairly new building or at least newly extended so the walls & ceilings aren’t that thick. At 2am in the morning someone went into reception banging about. (It may have been a guest but unfortunately we were below) On the first night at 10pm, (which I realise isn’t that late but again with a baby) the male owner was showing some guests in as they checked in late (a plus side) but he had a rather loud voice so unfortunately we heard the full conversation. Likewise in the morning again the female worker/owner not sure was lovely and welcoming, but we could hear this from 8am in our rooms. (not a problem for us as we were up early but again might need to bear in mind if you want a lie in) In their defence we didn’t mention this to anyone as we didn’t see it as a major problem for 2 nights.

On the whole I would definitely recommend especially in terms of value for money compared to the other hotels in Bury. It had that nice friendly feeling about it so we would always use again if in the area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Gemski81
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Stayed here for one night on a trip to Bury St Edmunds with my niece and I cannot praise the place enough !! The room was clean, spacious and comfortable (room 5) and the staff were lovely - especially Pauline who made us feel so welcome. We arrived earlier than expected but we were able to leave our bags at the guesthouse despite our room not being ready, meaning we could go shopping without our heavy bags !! The breakfast was very tasty and all served in a very friendly atmosphere. Also, this is an ideal place to stay if you are coming to Bury St Edmunds by train as it is only a very short walk to/from the station, and is also only a short distance to/from the town centre. THANKS FOR A LOVELY STAY !!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We were so fortunate to stay here. Late on arrival, we were flustered and late for a wedding. The ladies at reception were so helpful and actually managed to get us to the wedding on time. It was very comfortable and the cooked breakfast was great after a big night. Thank you to all the staff for all your help and kindness.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank James M
Phuket, Thailand
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights with our friends booking another room, I had spoken with Karen to arrange getting in to the room early, however on arrival as we walked in the guest house, the air was thick with the stench of cigarette smoke, and we were then "challenged" by a member of staff, who wanted to know how we got in!! I explained that we were promised our room would be ready, however she said. It wasn't and that " nobody tells me anything in this place" we were made to feel very uncomfortable, we then left to check in later. Once checked in the room was immaculate as a it was on a previous visit, the next morning our friends were confronted by the same member of staff at breakfast because she said there was only meant to be 1 person in the room for breakfast, this was very embarrassing, and extremely rude and totally incorrect., our friends were only staying for 1 night so checked out, however that night as we walked into the guest house again, there was the familiar smell of cigarette smoke again, at breakfast the next morning we were then challenged as to our friends comments in the guest book, who thanked the owners for the stay, and why they had not mentioned the member of staff personally!!!! I explained we all know the owners, ( her bosses) and the reply was "I don't care who they know, they didn't thank me!!!).

I have always recommended this guest house to others, it is immaculate, well priced, with a good breakfast, however my fears are that the staff attitude is now going to cost repeat bookings. Especially when you walk in and the air is thick with cigarette smoke, a real real shame.

Room Tip: We had room 2 which is downstairs, however the ceiling is very low, and the room seems to lack as mu...