The Black Boy, Bury St Edmunds
All Saints Hotel(Bury St. Edmunds)
$129
Best Western Priory Hotel(Bury St. Edmunds)(Great Value!)
$73
$63
The Chantry Hotel(Bury St. Edmunds)
$157
$147
$73
$70
The Angel Hotel(Bury St. Edmunds)
$127
$112
Travelocity
$134
$59
$57
$78
PremierInn.com
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewssingle roomthe pubgreat showerb btwo nightsone night stayrearroxylaptopdesk
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Thought I would take a friend to the 'Black Boy' for a beer but unfortunately if was terrible. the Abbot Ale was £3.50 a pint and tasted of green apples/vinegar as it was off we left our pints and went down the road to the new Oakes bar where the cask beers are all great and much much cheaper..........not good Greene King you should be ashamed

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Bob M
Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

A friend and I stayed in Bury for the weekend and she booked this B and B. The room Itself was as the other reviews have said very basic and a little tatty around the edges, but clean with a good tv and tea, coffee etc.... I feel you pay for what you get so if you want something more modern or whatever you are going to pay more in the town.
Positives: great location, free parking, clean, great shower, nice pub downstairs, friendly
locals and dog
Downside: a little tattered interiors and bedding in room, breakfast is early and no option for later except on Sundays, mattresses extremely uncomfortable (bearable for two nights)
Please bear in mind the time of year we visited as the rooms do overlook the beer garden which I would imagine is noisy in the summer, but it's a pub what do you expect!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We stayed here for our weekend trip to Bury St Edmunds and overall was not too impressed. Parking was difficult initially as once we found the B&B we were told parking is at the back, rather than open the gates for us to drive into the parking spaces we had to drive around a series of roundabouts and one way systems to get to the back of the B&B, easily getting lost. The pub itself is a lovely old English pub with a dark interior and a big open fire, has a nice feel to it. Owner and his dog are nice, careful not to trip over the dogs toys left lying around the pub. Dog is friendly and we love dogs so not an issue for us but can see this being off putting for some. Room upstairs a big let down... run down, basic and feeling very unloved. Bland decor, carpets scruffy with rugs held down with duct tape (visible around edges), small old TV with digital box - 2 remote controls and lots of messing just to watch TV, paint work around room marked an scuffed, grubby windows. This B&B needs a bit of time an love I think. Room noisy on first night until 1am as over beer garden, rock music and general noise from people in beer garden, windows single glazed so able to hear everything = no sleep! Positives are: twin beds quite comfy, breakfast was very nice and lots to choose from, good location, owner nice and chatty and a generally nice pub to drink in. All this place needs is a bit of TLC for the rooms and it would be great!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank lromal
Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

I spent a couple of nights at the black boy. When I arrived with a friend we were asked when we would like breakfast, but were only given an option of 8.30am, we asked for a later time but that wasn't possible. As we were performing at the theatre we declined as we would be tired and needed rest.
When my friend went to her room, she found someone else in it! As there are only 5 rooms, I find it hard to understand how this could happen! She was given another room which was fine.
My room was small but manageable for a few nights. The carpets looked like they had never been cleaned and were covered in stains and the window and window ledge was covered in dirt. Thankfully the linen and toilet was clean.
My biggest gripe was the noise. The walls were paper thin. You could hear every single noise from people turning on lights or walking around. So a good nights sleep was near on impossible. Another thing that might put people off is the owners Alsatian that roams the building, I don't have a problem with dogs but some might.
I won't be returning to the black boy as I feel I can get better service and a better standard of accommodation for the same amount of money.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Susdy
Reviewed November 27, 2012

We were in fabulous Bury St Eds for the christmas fair, and true to form on the Saturday, the heavens opened. There was The Black Boy with it`s roaring coal fire and warm welcome. Reall y good pub and worth searching out. Lovely pub dog called Roxy too. A real find.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple