“Used to be the best in town”

Orissa Indian restaurant
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I loved Orissa when it first opened - the portions were perfect and the taste was spicy. However they changed their menu, increased the portion size and also the blandness. It's still good but not as good as it was. It is always busy, sometimes with very large groups so if you are a couple it's impossible to have a conversation. Why don't they put the large groups upstairs? I'm afraid I've changed my allegiance to Voujon.

1  Thank Glynis B

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Another recommendation, not far from where we were staying. It is quite a small place and although we had not booked a table they were able to seat us on a Friday night at 7pm.

The menu was extensive and I defy anyone not to find something to try. We felt this was an Indian menu with a twist, modern maybe. The onion bahjis were to die for, they were not greasy in anyway and they were as light as a feather and very tasty. I had a chicken korma and again very tasty, chicken was not over cooked and the sauce delicious. I liked the fact that the dish came with rice and was not charged as an extra. My husband had a duck dish and he raved about this for ages. We also had a naan bread which was light and fluffy, not a prepacked one, thick and chewy.

We would recommend this and would definitely eat here again. It is a very busy little place not only for sitting in but for takeaway too. I think that maybe it would be wise to book a table.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

The restaurant itself is quite nice, arrived at 7.45pm on a week night so wasn't expecting it to be super busy, but there was only 2 other people in there...bad start! The food itself was ok but nothing special. I have never seen so little choice of pickles or quantity with the poppadoms, I had a main lamb dish that was so heavily dyed red it made me reluctant to eat it. I have been to lots of Indian restaurants (weekly) and I travel to India, I have yet to see a dish that resembled what I ate that night.

15 mins into the meal another couple arrived and were promptly sat right next to us...in a totally empty restaurant! The real shock however, was the bill;

x3 poppadoms
x2 main dishes (rice included, small portions)
x1 nann
x1 Roti
x1 Gin & Tonic
x1 Tonic water
x1 water (tap)

Total £41.00

High end restaurant prices, certainly not high end food, the only thing more dissapointing was my deranged dinner date! ha ha

Reviewed August 8, 2013

I've been there a few times and feel that the level of quality for atmosphere, service and food create a memorable experience. At first glance the stylish decor would have one assume this to be a pricey establishment however the dishes were good value for money, whilst the quality reflected that of a well established restaurant. Summarily? Highly satisfactory

Reviewed August 7, 2013

we went her in Decmber 2012 with friends only to find the resturant was extremely bus and out table was not ready, the resturant had no where to put us so we wnet back to the bar and went back half an hour later. the staff were not that ameniable when we complained about having to wait. i think we got a round of free drinks. We waited ages for our food but when it did come it was lovely, not tried an inidain quite like it before. My tip would be to not go in a busy period and you will have a lovely time