Tripadvisor
Bury St. Edmunds

“Poor service. Good food.”
Review of Gastrono-me

Gastrono-me
Cuisines: Deli
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Gastronome-me, Your all day and night cafe.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Today will be my last visit here for a while. I have visited 3 times over recent months and each time the service has been very poor! Despite this, the portion sizes are always huge and the food is usually hot and delicious!

Visit 1= slow service throughout. I ordered a Croque Madame and was actually presented with a mushroom version. I started to eat it before noticing. We then learnt that the waiter had taken our order to the table nearby and wanted to rectify the problem by swapping the dishes over instead of preparing new dishes (despite the fact that I had started eating it). I chose to just carry on eating what I had been given.

Visit 2= slow service again. We overhead the waitress apologising to another table about the till system being down but we were never told this. We ordered our drinks and they never arrived despite the tables of people around us (who came in after) getting theirs. We gave our food order and prompted about the drinks. No apology “they will be here soon”. Still waiting. Food arrived with no drinks. The drinks finally arrived well into our breakfasts. Still no apology.

Visit 3= speed of service slightly quicker. My husband ordered the Mac and cheese and along came a burger. We sent this back. We were apologised to by the waitress and the manager which was well received. We were also offered complimentary drinks.

All in all, the service I have received over recent visits has left a bad taste in my mouth. I will be eating at other establishments locally before returning.

1  Thank Tourist555674
Write a reviewReviews (594)

Reviewed January 5, 2020 via mobile

Visited for the first time when we met up with family members. Menu is unusual but there’s plenty of choice. Food served with minimum of wait. They actually brought a dish that wasn’t what we’d ordered - but what they brought was acceptable but they offered to take it off the bill which I thought was very generous.
Staff very friendly would definitely go again.

Reviewed January 5, 2020 via mobile

We came here for lunch on Thursday 2nd January and we waited for a table for about 10 minutes which was fine, we were then seated and waited a further 20 minutes before anyone came over to take our drinks order! Had we known that the wait would have been so long, we wouldn’t have bothered. I could see the staff were busy but that’s not our problem, they shouldn’t be running the place with so little staff or at least tell us about the delays. The food was average and I ordered a milkshake which was dripping all over the table. All in all and very expensive meal for what it was. Would not return again.

1  Thank roseannab26
Reviewed January 4, 2020

Visited tonight for the first time but it won't be our last. The food was excellent, as was the service. Only wish I knew the name of the young lady who served us but believe she was the bar manager. The service she gave was excellent.

Reviewed January 4, 2020

Came here by chance. The food and variation of breakfasts is very good. Plenty of veggie and vegan options. Great use of flavours in the food too.