“Not bad pub lunch”
Review of The Three Kings

The Three Kings
Reviewed April 29, 2012

The Three Kings is a pub with rooms attached. We were not staying there, but called in for lunch. Rather unprepossing looking - a little gloomy. The table we used was sticky which was off-putting. The staff were helpful and friendly and the pub lunch was very nice.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for The Three Kings

Reviewed April 11, 2012

This hotel had been booked by a colleague and having read the reviews on here I admit I tried to change it but was too late. I thought it wouldn't matter as it was a one night stay.

In truth the hotel and rooms are very tired and it needs a good painting and cleaning to bring it up to a good standard. However the one thing that keeps getting mentioned, the hot water appears to have been fixed as it was as hot as I have come across.

The pub is OK and the staff were very friendly as was the young lady cook but she needs help with the menu. She is clearly trying but her lack of experience showed in our food which I rated as 5/10.

It was the checking out that was really poor. The lady member of staff dealing with my bill was really struggling to get it sorted but had clearly not been trained. I left it with her and when I came back the lady hotel owner was there and it was not pleasant.
The room and breakfast are being paid direct to the hotel by a business travel booking company and I pay for food and drinks. This clearly was not acceptable to the hotel owner and I had to bring her confirmation of the booking and the billing confirmation until finally she (reluctantly) agreed that I could just pay for the food and drinks.

She was still going on about this not being correct when I suggested she ring the Business Travel company for clarification, all I got was a short, sharp reply which was quite embarrassing for her staff member , my colleague and me.

This lady clearly resents her customers and I would suggest she considers another occupation.

Room Tip: Don't go
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 13, 2012

I stayed here for a night and found the place to be pretty nice given the price. The food in the pub is of a good standard, not gourmet, but better than your average cheap pub and the staff are very helpful.

The room was quite small, but it was clean and had an ensuite shower, tea and coffee facilities and a small TV. To be honest, for what I paid, I wasn't expecting a lot else.

The following morning, breakfast was excellent, you picked from a menu the night before and everything was brought out when you wanted, there's a good selection of juices and cereals too.

If you're looking for somewhere to spend a night without breaking the bank this is great, if you're looking for luxury and things to do, I'd head into Bury St Edmunds.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Dave M
Reviewed October 9, 2011

The service is very poor the food order took over one hour to come out and then two meals
were so very poor and were sent back the staff blamed the landlord for over booking as the place was over half empty did not see this . we eat out all the time and do not expect great food all the time but we do expect adequate eatable food .( will never return )

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Mark B
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed at the three kings for 3 nights, the place was nice enough but not worth the 4 stars it has been given. the staff we friendly and the food was adequate. The rooms were a little dirty and very hot at night, also over the course of our stay we never recieved clean towels. The biggest problem however was there was no hot water in the shower, which appears by other comments goes back to over a month. Another couple who stayed there also at the same time as us complained there was no hot water. When questioned about this, the staff said they would sort it out and the next day we were told it had been fixed however there was still no hot water. we will not be staying here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank justcheek
Reviewed August 11, 2011

We stayed for one night. The staff were friendly and the meals were okay, but the room was only just adequate for the price. There was no hot water at all in the morning, but no apology. We stayed there thinking it would be a nice country pub, but will stay in Bury St Edmunds if we visit the area again.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 3, 2011

when we arrived the pub was packed leading us to assume that as a foody pub the food must be quite good, how wrong we were.
I ordered from the childrens menu for my 6 year old when it was brought to the disgustingly sticky and dirty table it was a large plate with 3 cheap 'fish' fingers and a small amount of chips, there was absolutely nothing else (and they expected us to be happy with that at a cost of £5.50).
my wife ordered a jacket potato with cheese and coleslaw, how can you go wrong with something so simple, the potato had been partially cooked in the microwave so still rock solid, the cheese was the mildest flavourless cheese, the coleslaw from a tub was also flavourless and the side salad had been pre dressed with honey and mustard dressing with out any forewarning. my wife sent this back and was asked if she would like a sandwhich as a replacement! when my wife replied that she would like to be refunded for the price of the jacket potato and didn't want to risk anything else it was not looked on favourably.
my stepson and I both went for the homemade king kong burgers. when these arrived I was shocked to discover that their idea of a homemade burger is to ball up some mince with a small amount of onion and no seasoning and place it in a bun smaller than the palm of your hand, it teetered precariously on the plate when it was brought to the table as the "burger" was ball shaped. aside from which as the cheese was flavourless and the mince cheap it just spurted hot fat everywhere every time i tried to have a bite. When i ordered these burgers i was told that all the burgers were cooked medium, i can only assume this is because they are made to thick to cook properly, but when they arrived the burger was a uniform grey (we could have gone to any fast food establishment and recieved better at a third of the price) The
drinks were also a problem, since when is it ok to penalise non drinking people by charging them £3.00 for a tall glass of post mix fizz especially considering the breach of consumer trading laws as i asked by name for coke and was given post mix pepsi without any explanation.
on top of all these complaints the portion control is ridiculous an old couple sitting on the next table had also ordered one of the king kong burgers and when theirs arrived it was as many chips on the one plate as had been shared out between three of ours.
this is blatantly a pub using the excuse of being a foody pub to try and fleece as many people as possible. i have been to this pub many times over the years and as an ex smoker its obvious that since the nation wide smoking ban it has gone seriously down hill. they're idea of customer service took a major slide when we stated that we required a refund as from that point until we left they didn't try to speak to any of our party. they then decided to rid themselves of "difficult" patrons by breaking the law as i paid with a credit card and they refunded me cash i believe that there could be many problems for any business using this as along term approach.
i can quite happily state than neither myself or any of my extended family who all live in the area will ever bother stepping foot inside this terrible attempt at an eatery again.
Perhaps if more customers were honest and outspoken the quality of food would improve.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family