“Great hotel in great location”

and 1 more site!
The White Lion Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Aldeburgh
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Hotel on beach opposite fishing huts . Couldn't be closer to the beach so location great. We stayed for three days with our diabetic dog and the restaurant staff looked after the dogs insulin during our stay. The staff were all very helpful attentive and helped us with all our needs, especially Jamie who helped us in the middle of the night when the dog needed to go out. We wish to thank all the staff that helped during our stay. The breakfast s are very good with a good choice on the menu and able to have as much or whatever you want.
The White Lion is an old building and although there is a lift you do need to go up and down some steps to access some rooms ,also the shower is located over the bath so this could be difficult if you have any difficulties in walking. All these things were explained on a courtesy call as well as the routine for looking after the dogs insulin.
Many thanks to all those who looked after us. We will be back.

Room Tip: Room 18 some noise for air conditioning occasionally. Step into bathroom. Window does not open wide...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
WLAldeburgh, General Manager at The White Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

Dear Lynn
Many thanks for your kind comments and taking the time to share you feedback with us all. I am pleased you enjoy our unique location overlooking the fish huts on the beach and I will pass my thanks onto Jamie and the team for looking after your dog so well.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and do not hesitate to ask us more questions about the room options.
Kind regards
Peter

There are newer reviews for The White Lion Hotel

Reviewed July 3, 2014

Went for dinner last night. Warm welcome, nice table with view of the sea. Young waitress did forget to order my starter but the restaurant manager apologised immediately and he noticed this error before I had to say anything which was impressive. They soon had it sorted and offered us more bread and oil whilst we waited.The waitress also apologised so what more could they have done. Starter was delicious! Garlic mushrooms and soup for my partner. He had the duck for mains and i had the chicken kiev, both equally tasty. Great service all round. Left with a very full tummy and would highly recommend The White Lion to all. Am looking forward to going back!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Pippin
I am pleased to read you enjoyed our lovely new menu by Head Chef Ben Hegarty and you felt well look after.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon

Kind regards
Peter

Reviewed July 2, 2014

Our Club held their Charter Night dinner at the hotel on 26 June. The whole experience was excellent. In particular the service and the food. Well done to everyone who made our evening with you so good.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank David S
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Staff and hotel was excellent. Expensive, however you get what you pay for as referred in title. Very impressive breakfast with the staff being very helpful and friendly. If I was the manager for this hotel I would give my staff a pat on the back for doing a great job. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Reece D
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We had a lovely two night break. Sea view, quiet room except for gulls and boats which we love anyway! Windows may need replacing soon though. I think would be draughty in winter. Food good especially the breakfast freshly cooked not a buffet. Staff friendly too. Would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pat348
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We stayed at the White Lion for three nights from 24 June 2014. The Hotel is located close to the sea front and the centre of Aldeburgh is within easy walking distance. From arrival, the service at the hotel was impeccable. The staff were very friendly and attentive. We stayed in Room 5, which had great sea views and was perfect for watching the fishing boats arriving in the early morning. The food at the hotel was extremely good. At various times we ate breakfast, lunch and evening meals at the hotel and was very impressed with every meal. The produce is local, the ingredients fresh and very well cooked and presented. This hotel offers great value for money and wonderful service. We will certainly be returning in the near future. Thank you to all the staff at the White Lion for a truly memorable break on the beautiful Suffolk coast.

Angela and Robert Fox

Room Tip: Be sure to book a room with a sea view
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 30, 2014

I booked the White Lion for a weekend break, based on internet reviews as a first time visitor to Aldeburgh. I was a little nervous when I received a call from them a couple of weeks before our stay to let me know that there was going to be a wedding party taking place - but had a chat with them hotel and they just gave me the details and I felt much more reassured. After all, not many places would take the trouble to give advanced warning, and they kindly agreed to my request for a slightly later check out to thank me for my "understanding".
In any case, I needn't have worried. The White Lion seems to combine personal touches without being fussy or intrusive, but still retains the character of the building and location. Fantastic spot, overlooking the beach, smart decor without pretending to be something it isn't, small but well equipped room and bathroom. All very comfortable and welcoming. In the end, the wedding noise was minimal, I've stayed in much noisier places without any prior warning or apology!
Not a cheap option but not unreasonable either in my opinion. Would definitely return and recommend to others looking for a quiet bolt hole.

Room Tip: Seafront rooms cost a bit more but worth it - hey, you're by the sea so pay the extra for the vi...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aldeburgh
The Brudenell Hotel
Salthouse Harbour Hotel
Randolph Hotel
Randolph Hotel
#1 of 4 in Southwold

Been to The White Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!