“Lovely”

and 1 more site!
The White Lion Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Aldeburgh
Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

Very enjoyable would recommend has a lovely stay there. Great service and Hospitality clean clean clean what more could I say really the breakfast and evening meals were very nice as well all in all worth a visit in my opinion

• Stayed: July 2013
WLAldeburgh, General Manager at The White Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Thank you for recent review. I am thrilled to read you enjoyed your time with us. I do hope to see you again very soon. I have shared your comments with the team who were delighted. Stay in touch, best wishes

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Recently strayed here for one night with my wife and daughter one room including breakfast. The happily changed my booking to accommodate my daughter a few months ahead of our arrival. Had a street facing room with a very comfortable very large double bed with a folding bed for my daughter, however the room was so tiny that it was impossible to move around. I would have expected a larger room when accommodating beds for 3 people. Thankfully it was only for one night. Room was very hot , no A/C so had to open windows which was fine, but my god those seagulls are loud :). Breakfast looked excellent however I only stuck to the muesli and juice, which by the way is concentrate from a carton, not fresh. My wife skipped breakfast as she was not feeling well, however I was a bit miffed to find out that my daughters breakfast was charged for as extra (£10 for a bowl of coco pops!) I would have thought they would overlook this as my wife decided not to take the breakfast we had paid for.
Overall the staff were friendly, the breakfast was good, but pokey rooms and overpriced.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your recent review. I am please you found the staff friendly and food good. In regards to the rooms, all of our rooms are different sizes being a hotel built in 1563. Unfortunately there are 2 or 3 rooms that are smaller once a 3rd bed is added for a child. In regards to the breakfast charges, the reception team would of not known what you had for breakfast individually, if you had of mentioned it they would of accommodated you in regards to what you have mentioned in your review. I do hope you will return soon, and may I ask you to contact me directly when you choose to visit us again, as I would personally like to welcome you to the White Lion. The email address is generalmanager@whitelion.co.uk. Best Wishes

Reviewed July 29, 2013

The staff, location, breakfast were all great, but the room was really hot. The windows only opened a small fraction and without a fan we would have been baked (or steamed) by morning. A lot more ventilation required for this hot summer. We really enjoyed the ambience of Aldeburgh and the hotel was right across from the beach. The full English breakfast was the best I've eaten in a long time. I would recommend the hotel - we went there for our 10th wedding anniversary and were not disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review. It is disappointing to see you have given us a low score out of five overall when the hotel, the staff and breakfast exceeded your expectations that you have mentioned in your feedback. This is what we have control of and make sure everything is a perfect as possible for every guest that stays with us. Unfortunately the recent heatwave which has already finished did raise the temperature in not only the hotel, but even in my own home I noticed how warm it had become. We do not have control over the heat and to fit air con units into a listed building would not be feasible bearing in my mind that we do not experience this kind of weather very often. I do appreciate your feedback and hope that you will return soon so I can personally welcome you to the White Lion.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We recently stayed at the White Lion for 3 nights and were very happy overall with the hotel. There were some minor niggles: the shower pressure was poor (we were on the top floor); no low-calorie sweetener on the dining-table (I did say they were minor niggles!); there was never any space in the small car park and it was sometimes a struggle to find alternative parking (but it was a busy time with glorious weather). Our first supper in the hotel wasn't brilliant BUT we had two further evening meals there which were delicious.
The staff were, without exception, incredibly friendly and nothing was too much trouble. We would happily recommend the hotel and certainly plan to visit again.
NB If you like fish, take a cool bag with you and fill it with freshly-caught fish before you leave - lots of places to buy from just across the road on the beach.

Room Tip: If you're not good with stairs, choose a room on the first floor.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments. I am pleased you enjoyed the experience. In regards to the low calorie sweetener on the tables, apart from breakfast we do not put any sugar on the tables during service. However at breakfast we do have sugar on the table and sweetener can be asked for. I have asked our maintenance team to look at the water pressure on the top floor as this is not a common problem. I appreciate your kind words about the staff and the food. I will pass this on to the respective teams. Hope to see you again soon. Best Wishes

Reviewed July 28, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay there was nothing pretentious about the hotel however everything was very well presented and clean. The staff were friendly without being overbearing, just what you need when you are trying to relax. The room was comfortable and smart.
The restaurant served good food and the service was very good. The stroll out onto the sea front makes this a special place to spend a get away.

Room Tip: Our room was very warm but only as we are having a heatwave with the windows open and the fan on it...
1  Thank Finlay S
WLAldeburgh, General Manager at The White Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and that you will not only return but would highly recommend us as a place to stay in Aldeburgh. The recent heatwave we had was extremely hot and even at home the house was much warmer than normal. We do have fans in all the bedrooms and the windows open to create fresh free flowing air. We do hope to see you again very soon. Best Wishes

Reviewed July 26, 2013

This was my first visit to Aldeburgh and The White Lion is perfectly positioned right on the sea front. It is an attractive old building although I agree with some previous comments that the interior has been stripped of much of its historic character - but it is pleasant and comfortable nonetheless. The car park at the rear is very small and parking is mainly in general public spaces along the sea front. This was not a problem for us as there was always somewhere available but I could imagine it could be a challenge at busy times.

We chose a sea front room which was fine - it did seem to have been refurbished fairly recently - and had everything you could need although we had to prompt restocking of shower gel and toilet rolls (which arrived quickly when we asked for them).

The restaurant gets very booked up around the mid point of the evening and I think Reception should highlight that more actively to residents. At lunchtime on our first full day, we asked for a table at around 8pm that evening to be told we could have 6.30pm or 9.15pm - neither suitable so we ate elsewhere. Breakfast was good on the whole although I do prefer to be able to help myself to fruit and juice etc rather than to have to wait for at table service.

On balance, I would go back to The White Lion and Aldeburgh itself was absolutely beautiful.

Room Tip: Well worth paying for sea view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
WLAldeburgh, General Manager at The White Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to read you enjoyed your time with us recently. The team work hard to ensure everything runs well and seamlessly throughout every guests stay. We all look forward to welcoming you again soon. Best Wishes

Reviewed July 18, 2013

We stayed at the White Lion Hotel on the 15th July 2013 for one night to celebrate our Pearl Wedding Anniversary. On arrival we received a very warm welcome and our room was very clean and modern. There was an anniversary card from the hotel and flowers which my family sent were placed nicely in the room. We were booked in for our evening meal and the food was superb. We both enjoyed our stay very much and would recommend it to anyone. We will definitely return.
Thank you very much for making our anniversary so special.

Room Tip: Room 37 sea view
1  Thank Wendy L

Wow, thank you! It was great to be part of your special celebration. It was a pleasure to meet you and I do hope we will see you for next anniversary. All the best, stay in touch.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Aldeburgh
The Brudenell Hotel
Thorpeness Golf Club & Hotel
Randolph Hotel
Randolph Hotel
#1 of 4 in Southwold

Been to The White Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!