“A hotel of exceptional charm”
Review of Wentworth Hotel

Wentworth Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Aldeburgh
Reviewed February 12, 2013

This was a return visit with a group of friends, and I came away feeling that this is a magical place - while all the facilities are totally modern, and comfort is absolute, the atmosphere is of an earlier, gentler age, rarely found nowadays. The reception rooms are like those of a lovely country house, and the bedrooms are very comfortable and attractively decorated, and, (for not much extra) an uninterrupted timeless view of the beach, fishing boats, the North sea and the vast sky.
The food as ever was excellent. Although this was early February the place was very busy with, all around, people clearly enjoying themselves. 'We don't think there's another hotel like this in England', one couple said to me, and I'd agree. Unique.

Room Tip: Worth paying a bit extra for the sea view, which is even better on the 2nd floor, but bear in mind...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Catherine F
james_wentworth, General Manager at Wentworth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am delighted to read that your party enjoyed their break here. It is especially pleasing to know that you go away feeling refreshed.

Your comments regarding the food will be passed on to the chef. We will continue to work hard to ensure our guests receive the best level of service and comfort possible

Thank you again for your kind comments

Reviewed February 10, 2013

This is our fourth year coming to the Wentworth, and each year it gets even better. All the lounges (which were always lovely) have been redecorated. Beautiful fabrics, wall paper, comfortable couches, real fires and interesting and unusual art on every wall. Everyone is made to feel feel so welcome and comfortable. Our room with the sea view was excellent as usual. The dining room is lovely--white linen and carpets means it is not too noisy, the food is varied and good and the service excellent. We had such an enjoyable winter break..

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are lovely, but understand the others are too. No lift, so ask for a downstairs room...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review and for continuing to visit us each year. We do hope you have us in mind for a fifth year in a row for 2014.

We are glad you like the ambience and the refurbishment and hope we can welcome you back very soon

Reviewed January 30, 2013

We took advantage of a 'Late January Offer' which was exceptional value for DBB. Well appointed inland view room which was very comfortable, clean and quiet. Dinner was excellent with plenty of choice. Breakfast was equally good. Lovely refurbished Lounges in which to look out over the beach or if that looks too cold in January then choose a spot by the log fire ! All the staff were exceptionally helpful. Oh, I nearly forgot, the piece of Victoria sandwich cake which I had with tea in the afternoon was the best I have ever had - worth a visit just for that!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
james_wentworth, General Manager at Wentworth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2013

Thank you for your review. We are delighted that you enjoyed the hotel so much. The lounges have just been refurbished so it is nice that you noticed them. Our pastry chef does make a lovely victoria sponge and other homemade delights. We hope you come back again soon to sample them!

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Absolutely lovely. Went there last year and the year before. Oh yeah and the year before and the year before. That should say it all but Ill go on. Sea view rooms are brilliant. Great for waking up on a summers morning and see one of the most beautiful beaches in England.
Expensive but worth the money.
Stopped going there now as weve been so many times (because its sooooo lovely) weve done everything.
Id love to return, when i have children to show them such a lovely little town

I reccomend the Sea-View Rooms.

Room Tip: Sea-View Rooms are beautiful
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
james_wentworth, General Manager at Wentworth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2013

Thank you for your kind review. I am glad you continued to visit the hotel year after year. We are obviously sad to hear that you no longer visit. At the hotel we are always updating, having done the lounge areas at the start of the year

We hope you change your mind and come back to see the improvements

Reviewed December 31, 2012

The Wentworth Hotel I had amired for many years and finally booked on impulse. Full of character, wonderful setting and a single room that had everything including a sea view. As a recent single traveller I was made to feel welcome and the facilities were superb. No tatty double with a surcharge but a well thought out tastefully decorated single. I mattered as a single person. The food was good and the reception staff helpful and the bar and the conservatory plus a choice of lounges. In good weather somewhere to sit outside. It was like being in your own home with others doing the work. Also car parking as part of the deal and come and go as you wished.

Room Tip: Sign up for their e-mail notification of special deals. I checked their website and also another ho...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Aileen F
james_wentworth, General Manager at Wentworth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Thank you for leaving a review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. All our guests are treated equally, whether alone, as a couple, or in a group. It is important for us that every guests goes away feeling like they have been treated as an individual rather than a number/statistic

I am glad you liked the room and the service. I hope we can welcome you back very soon for another visit

Reviewed December 17, 2012

We stayed here for one night as a mini honeymoon after our wedding before our honeymoon later in the year. The staff were very friendly and efficient. We had a small double room at the front of the hotel which was lovely and looked out onto the beach. Our room also had a balcony, I think it is the only one with a balcony as far as I could see which was lovely. We sat out there quite a lot as we a outdoors people and enjoyed taking in the sea air and enjoying the view. It also helps that we were blessed with good weather during our stay. When we arrived there was a chilled bottle of Prosecco waiting for us that I had pre-ordered but there was nothing special arranged by the hotel for us newly weds. We ordered room service when we got there and enjoyed a light lunch with our Prosecco. I enjoyed my jacket potato but my husband was disappointed with his sandwich which was small and plain with no side salad or anything to accompany it. Later we enjoyed a 3 course meal as part of the package with the room. That was delicious, we were sat in the small conservatory at the front with a view out onto the beach and finished our meal with coffee in the lounge. We had a great night's sleep and woke up early to that beautiful sea view. We had breakfast downstairs and sat at the same table in the conservatory. Breakfast was lovely I helped myself to the buffet style breakfast goods and my husband had a cooked breakfast and they were both delicious and filling. We left the hotel very happy and enjoyed our stay. I'm sure we will visit the Wentworth again but we will have to save up as it was given to us as a wedding gift and is out of our price range for a night away. But to be honest the view us worth every penny and the memories for us will be priceless.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank RachyClark
james_wentworth, General Manager at Wentworth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2012

Thank you for leaving a review. Congratulations on your recent marriage. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

I am sorry the sandwich was not to your liking. These are made in-house by bread from a local bakery and are always accompanied by sea salted crisps and lettuce leaves and coleslaw. If someone requests a side salad to go with the sandwich then this can always be provided.

Please do add yourself to our mailing list and special offers will be sent out to you.

We hope to welcome you back very soon - perhaps next year for your anniversary.

Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

This family owned hotel has been in the same hands for very nearly a century. It is never allowed to get tired though being frequently and tastefully maintained, modernised and refurbished. The same is true of the food which has been consistently excellent ever since I can remember. The staff are always polite, efficient and helpful. They are also clearly also well treated by the excellent management since they always seem happy and show no inclination to change jobs.
The prices may seem high but usually include an excellent dinner for 2 and an excellent breakfast. I once had the best breakfast kipper I have ever tasted here. A dinner for two of this standard could easily cost £100 on its own anywhere else. This is one of only a very few hotels I know in vthe World where I am happy to stay on a half board basis because I know I am unlikely to find better food elsewhere. I have been known to complain however on one occasion that the portions were too big.

• Stayed: November 2012
james_wentworth, General Manager at Wentworth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Thank you for your review. I am delighted you once again had a good stay with us and your comments are gratefully received.

We have more improvements planned for the new year so we hope to welcome you back soon so you can enjoy the modernisation that is done, whilst retaining our traditional elements

Also consider these accommodations in or near Aldeburgh
The Brudenell Hotel
Thorpeness Golf Club & Hotel
Seckford Hall
Seckford Hall
#2 of 4 in Woodbridge

Been to Wentworth Hotel? Share your experiences!