“Dont have the soup”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Snape Maltings

Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Aldeburgh
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Snape Maltings is a much loved destination on the Suffolk Coast. Situated alongside the River Alde and the collection of 7 acres of Victorian listed buildings are filled with an array of independent shops, galleries, eateries and home to the world famous Snape Maltings Concert Hall. There are river walks to Iken and Aldeburgh. Enjoy walking along the boardwalks through the reeds and view the stunning sculptures by Henry Moore and Barbara Hepworth.Farmers markets take place on the first Saturday of each month.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Ipswich, United Kingdom
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Dont have the soup”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

Visited Snape to see the Christmas show; this was really enjoyable. But as we had arrived quite early we decided to go to the restaurant for a snack and coffee. We chose the soup of the day, which we were told was pea and ham, you get a dry piece of bread with this. The soup to say the least was like green water and tasteless. To add insult to injury we paid £10.00 . a very poor effort for the soup maker. And very expensive. Will never eat here again.

1 Thank Keith H
SnapeMaltings, Owner at Snape Maltings, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear Keith

I am very sorry to read your review of the restaurant in the Concert Hall which is run by Aldeburgh Music. This is a different business to ours so I cannot speak on their behalf but have today spoken with their Catering Manager who has replied to you below. There is a number of places to enjoy great food at the Maltings, from the Plough & Sail Public House to Cafe 1885 to the Granary Tea Shop and the Concert Hall. It is a great shame that on this occasion the Concert Hall restaurant was disappointing and I know they will be keen to rectify this for you.
With kind regards
Alesha Gooderham (Snape Maltings)

MESSAGE FROM THE CONCERT HALL CATERING MANAGER, ALDEBURGH MUSIC

Dear Keith

I was sorry to hear you did not enjoy your meal at The Oyster Bar at Snape Maltings Concert Hall (though I’m glad the Christmas Spectacular did not disappoint!). I tried the soup of the day myself; a classic pea and ham, very thick and very well made by our chef.
The soup was served from a soup kettle and I’m afraid it seems likely the member of staff who served you did not stir the soup thoroughly before serving, which could result in your finding it thin and watery.
I do apologise for this and will discuss your comments with all the staff involved in food service to make sure everyone is aware of the issue. The bread was a homemade sourdough baked that day by our chef. I understand this has quite a dry texture and is not always to everyone’s taste. Please do speak to us in person if you ever find anything amiss with your meal, we’re always willing and able to resolve any issues on the day so you can enjoy your meal.That said, do please contact me directly via e-mail and I will be delighted to invite you to eat with us, with our compliments, the next time you attend a concert here.

Yours sincerely,
Tim Wood, Catering & Events Manager at Snape Maltings Concert Hall, Aldeburgh Music

London, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“How charming!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

We visited Snape Maltings on a beautiful winters day and enjoyed every minute. The choice of shops and galleries provided something for all the family. We also enjoyed a delicious hot chocolate and cake in the granary. Would like to go back to experience some music next time

1 Thank ELOM19
Thank you very much for your incredibly positive review.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and I know so will all our staff. The Tea Shop team will also appreciate your kind words about their chocolate cake and hot chocolates!(I agree they are delicious).

Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Parking Misery”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

Often visit Snape Maltings when visiting family in the area, nice place to shop but this visit was spoilt by the miserable lady parking attendant. In our car was my mother in law who uses a walking stick, we went to park but was shouted at by the parking attendant to move. It amazes me that cars were parked in disabled parking clearly not showing any disabled badge, maybe this woman needs to have a course in manners and social skills. On this note we will not be returning.

2 Thank Louise H
Dear Louise

I am very sorry to read your review. How incredibly frustrating. We have a team of carparkers to help our customers and clearly we have failed you and your mother-in-law. Please accept my sincere apologies.

It is very disappointing that you do not feel able to visit again due to this incident.

I have had a meeting with the carparking team and clarified the importance of ensuring those parked in disabled places have badges in their cars.

Again, I am very sorry.

Felixstowe
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Concert hall Eating- beware”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

Snape are currently showing the Christmas Spectacular which is worth seeing if tickets are still available,
But before you book the £11.50 two course lunch, make sure you can eat in the restaurant and not the Oyster Bar/Kitchen
I had booked for the restaurant for my party of three but apparently there had been a 'cock-up'
As told to me by a waiter, we ended up in the Oyster Bar/Kitchen which was drab and cold
Food was ok but nothing special as the roast potatoes were overlooked and burnt, and the Christmas pudding had a crust- most I unusual
So our first experience of dining at Snape Malting's was definitely not satisfactory

1 Thank Allan W
Dear Allan

Goodness what a disappointing review to read and I am so sorry. Snape Maltings does not own or operate the catering in the Concert Hall it is Aldeburgh Music so I am unable to respond on their behalf however I will share your review onto them and they will respond.

Again, my sincere apologies - please do not lose faith in the food and drink at the Maltings, there are options which include the Granary Tea Shop, Cafe 1885 and the Plough & Sail.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Snape Maltings”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

This is a great place to visit if you are in the area. lots of nice different shops with unusual gifts and luxury food items. obligatory tea room, restaurant, riverside walks and also the concert hall if you are into that sort of thing!

Visited November 2013
Thank you very much for your review of the Maltings. I am so glad you enjoyed your visit. We are a small family run business, even though our buildings are large, so all the team will appreciate reading your review.

with kind regards