“Really comfortable apartment”
Review of Snape Maltings

Ranked #1 of 12 things to do in Aldeburgh
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Snape Maltings is a place of energy and inspiration – a visitor destination of outstanding natural beauty and one of the world’s leading centres of music, founded by Suffolk-born composer Benjamin Britten. Visit this remarkable collection of redeveloped Victorian industrial buildings for world-class concerts and events, distinctive independent shops, cafes, galleries, walks and abundant wildlife, all set against a breathtaking expanse of reeds, water and sky.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Reviewed September 13, 2013

There were a party of six friends who decided to book one of the apartments for a long weekend. We stayed in Iken View which has a superb view of the countryside and river from the balcony.
It is a very comfortable apartment furnished to a high standard and has everything we needed. Lovely hot showers and under floor heating!
Don't miss a trip to the Plough and Sail for a good meal and fine ales.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

We visited Snape Maltings late one morning in August 2013 during a week's holiday in Walberswick.

The surrounding landscape is fantastic and the Henry Moore, Barbara Hepworth and wonderful Sarah Lucas carthorse sculpture (sadly defaced) are worth a visit in their own right. We should have taken the opportunity to walk off into the surrounding wetland on what was a beautiful, sunny August morning.

It was lovely to hear the sounds of a trombone player practising at coffee time and adding another dimension to our visit.

The rest of the experience was a curate's egg.

The café had a varied menu, if a little pricey.

My wife found a couple of table lamps in the house and garden shop which seemed fair value and now fit in well at home. The kitchen and food shops connected to it seemed fine and the "farm shop" had an interesting range of produce, but seemed isolated and easily overlooked.

The gallery had a temporary exhibition of paintings, prints and ceramics some of which appealed but the space was pretty dull and lacked character and enthusiasm.

The antique shop was a typical but extensive "emporium" with an extraordinary range of cutlery upstairs and the usual mix of stuff - rare and common at varying prices but with no real bargains because it seems that everyone reads Miller's antiques and looks on eBay these days.

There was what seemed to be a pretty nondescript women's clothes shop but we weren't looking for women's clothes anyway.

We never found the craft shop unless it was the small space down steps behind the well stocked and interesting retail area in the visitor centre.

Overall there seemed to be at best a neutral sense of care for and interest in the customer until we came to the visitor information centre; and there it collapsed.

At the heart of the complex is a rusty iron shed built inside a dilapidated brick building which was a dovecote. That is not meant to be critical; it, along with the other buildings, is quietly impressive. Inside that building was an installation by Maggi Hambling - locked and open to view "by appointment" according to the creased, laminated sign propped up against the door and which we only saw on our second attempt to get in. So I decided to go back to the visitor information
centre to get a key or find someone to let us in. Mistake. After asking how I could get into the dovecote to see the display (an eight minute presentation of Britten's War Requiem with visual interpretation by Maggi Hambling; as I was told whilst having a sheaf of A4 pages waved in front of me) the person on the visitor centre desk took two lengthy internal telephone conversations, cutting me off without an apology (although I did get a snatched "sorry about that" after the first but not the second interruption) and eventually sending me away with "go along there at two, when two other people have booked in, and see if my colleague will let you in". The experience was careless and belittling. I pressed the intercom at the main site office trying to contact the general manager only to find myself connected back to the same visitor information desk. I did not want to go back there. After a minute or so the manager arrived. He had crossed our path in the café and outside afterwards and had acknowledged us with a smile; we hadn't seen many of those that morning. After hearing my description he was apologetic, saying he would carry out a debrief etc and asking if I wanted to see the installation (too late; the moment had passed) or if we were coming to the concerts (we weren't). That was it. We left for Aldeburgh; a shrewd move.

Perhaps one particularly dismissive person sitting in the wrong desk shouldn't have a disproportionate effect on the whole experience; but that, combined with lacklustre customer care everywhere else tipped the balance for me.

Snape Maltings - a wonderful place if you spend your money but keep your distance - otherwise you might just be an inconvenience; I'm sure that Maggi Hambling wouldn't approve of that either; perhaps I will write and let her know too.

2  Thank lewiseynon
SnapeMaltings, Owner at Snape Maltings, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Thank you for your detailed review and your kind comments about the landscape and the sculptures however I am very sorry to read that you did not feel we welcomed during your visit.

The Visitors Information centre is operated by Aldeburgh Music who are the leaseholders and operators of the Concert Hall and the buildings where the presentation of Britten's War Requiem took place. From reading your comments it seems as though you have spoken to the Aldeburgh Music General Manager who will most certainly take on board the comments you have made.

My apologies again for your disappointing experience and I will share your comments with all of my team.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Stopped off for afternoon tea in the tea room. Was not disappointed with scones, clotted cream and strawberry jam.
The shops, however, didn't turn us on with quite pricey goods that we wouldn't really want to buy antway

Thank you for your comments and I am really pleased you enjoyed your afternoon tea in our Granary Tea Room.

I completely understand that we cannot have something for everyone in our shop, even though we try!

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Snape Maltings is the starting point for boat trips on the River Alde. Tides permitting, The Enchantress sails three times a day during the summer, taking visitors on a 45-minute cruise to Iken and back.

Although birdwatchers would no doubt disagree, there's not an enormous amount to interest the casual visitor, unless you're into reed marshes and mudflats. The boat is quite old and would benefit from a good vacuuming. Disappointingly, the cabin is enclosed, with no opportunity to go on deck. The captain's commentary over the loudspeaker is light on information, other than telling you how narrow the navigable channel is.

At £8 for adults and £5 for children it's only average value for money, but acceptable if you have three quarters of an hour to kill on a sunny day.

For a cost-free alternative, try the walk from Iken Cliff car park along the foreshore towards Iken Church.

Although tickets can be bought in the craft shop, the boat trip is a separate business from the Maltings.

Thank you for your comments about the River Trips from the Quay at Snape Maltings.

Whilst we don't operate the river trips but we do have very good dialogue with the Captain Steve Wilson so I will share your comments with him. The river is rich in wildlife for migrating birds and one of the best times of the year is Spring and Autumn.

I agree that the walk to and from Iken Cliff along the foreshore towards Iken Church is incredibly enjoyable and peaceful.

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback which I have found very helpful.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Snape Maltings is one of my very favourite places to visit. There are fantastic restaurants open all year round, with amazing food, lovely little shops with unusual treasures, boat trips on the river Alde and beyond and beautiful views and walks over the fens with an abundance of wildlife to enjoy. The concert hall is a converted barn and hosts workshops and master classes as well as concerts. It is near Aldeburgh and the home of Benjamin Britten. We visited for a day this summer with family. Some keen young swimmers took advantage of the hot weather and swam in the river. The village is small and quaint and seems very quiet. Some of the buildings at the Maltings have been converted into holiday accommodation which is of a very high standard. Our family have stayed here on a previous occasion in winter. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would definitely return if the need for accommodation arose. There's lots to see in and around the area with some interesting villages and coastal towns within driving distance.

Reading your review really made me smile - thank you!

I am delighted that Snape Maltings is one of your very favourite places to visit. We certainly do our best to ensure people enjoy all there is to offer.

The keen young swimmers would have been my children, who follow the tide closely so they can enjoy the freedom of swimming in the river.

When I shared your review with my colleagues they thought we must have been related but I assured them we are not!

I hope you will visit us again soon.

with warm regards