“It's No Secret. It's the Best!”
Review of Snape Maltings

Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Aldeburgh
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Snape Maltings is a place of energy and inspiration – a visitor destination of outstanding natural beauty and one of the world’s leading centres of music, founded by Suffolk-born composer Benjamin Britten. Visit this remarkable collection of redeveloped Victorian industrial buildings for world-class concerts and events, distinctive independent shops, cafes, galleries, walks and abundant wildlife, all set against a breathtaking expanse of reeds, water and sky.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
London, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“It's No Secret. It's the Best!”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Snape Maltings is one of my very favourite places to visit. There are fantastic restaurants open all year round, with amazing food, lovely little shops with unusual treasures, boat trips on the river Alde and beyond and beautiful views and walks over the fens with an abundance of wildlife to enjoy. The concert hall is a converted barn and hosts workshops and master classes as well as concerts. It is near Aldeburgh and the home of Benjamin Britten. We visited for a day this summer with family. Some keen young swimmers took advantage of the hot weather and swam in the river. The village is small and quaint and seems very quiet. Some of the buildings at the Maltings have been converted into holiday accommodation which is of a very high standard. Our family have stayed here on a previous occasion in winter. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would definitely return if the need for accommodation arose. There's lots to see in and around the area with some interesting villages and coastal towns within driving distance.

Visited July 2013
SnapeMaltings, Owner at Snape Maltings, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Reading your review really made me smile - thank you!

I am delighted that Snape Maltings is one of your very favourite places to visit. We certainly do our best to ensure people enjoy all there is to offer.

The keen young swimmers would have been my children, who follow the tide closely so they can enjoy the freedom of swimming in the river.

When I shared your review with my colleagues they thought we must have been related but I assured them we are not!

I hope you will visit us again soon.

with warm regards

Tunbridge Wells
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A great way to spend a few hours”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Really enjoyed our visit. Lots of delicious locally produced food and drink of a high quality, a great selection of gifts to buy with something to suit all pockets and a very pleasant setting. Good parking facilities with marshals to show us where to park and friendly staff serving in the different shops, cafes etc. Would highly recommend a visit.

Visited August 2013
What a wonderful review - thank you from all of us at the Maltings. I am so glad you found all we have to offer appealing and interesting - we certainly set out to make the Maltings a unique experience with something for everyone. The welcome team will be delighetd too with your comments which I will share with them.

Thank you again!

Thaxted, United Kingdom
59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“A tranquil place - concert hall not deaf friendly”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Snape Maltings is a collection of buildings - shops, eating places, concert hall, flats - in a beautiful, remote country setting looking out over beds of reeds. We have been several times and enjoy wandering around browsing. On this occasion, we had booked tickets for a concert in the concert hall. We enjoyed a drink and snacks in the bar beforehand, as it has perhaps the best views. The concert (flamenco) was good too, and the concert hall is an interesting building in itself.

Unfortunately, the concert hall's infrared hearing loop system for deaf patrons was not working in the seats we had been given. Ticket staff had not told us there were 'dead' spots in the concert hall. Staff moved us to a different set of seats at the interval, which was helpful, but this was a 'dead' spot too. This was upsetting and embarrassing for the deaf member of our party. For a major concert venue, it really shouldn't be left to disabled patrons to point out when equipment is/ isn't working - this should be tested on a regular basis, and ticket office staff trained to know where/ how it works.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank TheNoseyBears
Thank you very much for your comments about Snape Maltings. I am delighted you enjoyed the mixed activities on site from the shops, eating places to the stunning location nestled alongside the river.

I am very sorry to hear that the concert hall's infrared hearing loop system for deaf patrons was not working in the seats you had been given. Aldeburgh Music is the leaseholder and operator of the Concert Hall and all the wonderful activities that take place within the building. They will be incredibly disappointed to learn of your experience and I will share your review with them. Please accept my apologies on their behalf.

Brighton, United Kingdom
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“rainy day in Aldebrugh”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

love Snape ... a great mix of old and new. Lovely Gallery, great little tea rooms and nice interiors/homeware shop Don't miss the Antique centre go up to the stairs and to the cutlery area amazing!!!!!

Visited August 2013
Thank you for your comments, it sounds as though you certainly had a good wander about the Maltings.

If you are visiting on a day that isn't wet there is even more to see and do! I hope you will visit again soon.

“Over priced cafe”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Me and my mum love a cup of tea, asked for a pot for one with two cups as most of you no there is always enough for at least to cups.. Because I asked for two cups, we were given a huge pot and charged £1.95 per cup! We got 7 1/2 cups out of one pot, yes good value for money but we didn't want 3 cups each! We just thought this was a little ridiculous

Visited August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment.

I am sorry you were disappointed with our price but we don't serve tea by the cup but instead serve leaf tea in a stainless teapot with milk from our local dairy.

After reading your comments I appreciate we may have been better to serve you each a single pot of tea each however we often choose to offer the larger pot for two as it is such good value for money, as you kindly pointed out. I will most certainly share your comments with our Tea Shop team.