“Nice and peaceful”

Best Western Parkmore Hotel
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed at the Parkmore over the Easter weekend on a special £99 DBB per room/night. Turned out to be an amazing offer as we were not restricted as far as the evening menu was concerned. On the first night I had 28 day matured steak, delicious. My wife had steak and ale pie which looked so good it was my choice for the second night. Breakfast was great, cereals, fruit, full english, and a couple of specials, craster kippers or salmon. A better choice than your typical hotels. Really amazing value.

Turning to the hotel itself. Negatives first. We booked a junior suite. Loads of room. However the suite had a dorma window over the bed with no blinds. The light woke me up at the crack of dawn. Could not get back to sleep. The Junior suites were located above the kitchen extension. If the light did not wake you up, noise outside the kitchen did, but to be fair, the noise did not start until around 7.30am. Not noise exactly, a few bangs etc. Easily sorted though, just don't book a junior suite.

The only other negative. The bumph says that Parkmore was originally the home of a local shipbuilder. Part of one of the ship is built into the staircase. However, ask a member of staff who the shipbuilder was and they could not answer. The hotels own leaflet gives no clue. OK I'm an anorak, around ten years ago I had to research North East Shipbuilders so know a few. But I was dissapointed. If the owners read this, how about letting me know!

Now the postives and there are a few. The hotel was very clean and well looked after. The staff were very friendly and attentive. My wife and I are big tea drinkers so bringing more teabags and milk to the room on both days was not a problem for the staff.

The leisure facilities take some beating. Large swimming pool, jacuzzi, hydrotherapy pool (fantastic) sauna, steam room and gym. Like the rest of the hotel, very clean and well maintained.

The reception area is quite large with comfortable seating and daily papers. We spent an hour reading the papers and drinking tea on Sunday afternoon. I supose the big question is, would we stay again......definately.

Room Tip: There a few good parks nearby plus a butterfly house.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
ParkmoreManagement, Owner at Best Western Parkmore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Thank you for your generous feedback. We are glad you enjoyed your stay in the Hotel, and thought the package that you were on was good value for money.

There is a cable from the blind to the wall in the Junior Suites to lower the blind over the velux windows. We're sorry that you didn't realise this & we will make sure a notice in future clearly indicates this.

We took over the Hotel 6 years ago, and I'm afraid to say that I personally have never known the name of the shipping magnate. I have asked around to no avail, but will continue to do so & will let you know what we eventually find out about him.

Thank you again for your kind comments & we hope to see you back again.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

This hotel was one of my worst week, and I am very often away. The service was horrible, the rom was in very poor condition, the ventilation sounding like an air plane, but if I cut it I had the cigarette smoke from the next room. No help from the staff... The week started when they blocked my debit card, thinking it was a credit card... Then the carpet in the room was covered of weird stein, and burnt, some from an iron looks like years ago, not very welcoming... The bed, which must have been older than the hotel item, was a disgrace, and make you feel trough your flesh each of its spring! One night, as I finished work late (10pm) and the restaurant was closed, I ask for room service, and despite the large menu mention as "room service", they refuse to propose anything else than cold sandwiches.
The restaurant it self was not bad, but nothing in the hotel was at any minimum level. Trust me, never go there!!!

Room Tip: From the room at the back of the hotel, you will enjoy the sound and vibrating effect of the very ne...

Thank you for your feedback.

We are sorry that you have were disappointed with your stay. Had you made comment at reception about dissatisfaction with your room we would have endeavoured to move you at another room.

We are in the process of a refurbishment programme of the bedrooms, and you were obviously not in a new room. As part of the refurbishment, we are replacing the bed stock.

Room service is available 24/7, but hot food is only available when the kitchen is open, and there are Chef's on duty. The times are clearly indicated on the menu, but, with prior notice of late arrivals we can arrange for for some simple hot food to be re-heated.

We are a non-smoking Hotel, and hope that our guests respect this. Unfortunately some people don't! and this only causes upset to those of us who don't smoke. We apologise on behalf of the guest who caused the disturbance.

If you do come back to Teesside again, please give us a second chance to show you our true standards, as that was not what you experienced on this stay.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

We stayed at the parkmor this week, on a Friday night, slight issues with booking prices, we were quoted £82, £85 then £102 for the one night. I called in there as I was in the area and the lady on reception was quoting negotiated rates and online rates and walk in rates.........???......

In the end I got the Internet price which was the cheaper ?? Opted for the room only at £85 per night with out breakfast !!, which to be honest was I think over priced for an out of town, dated hotel. Anyway room was ok , clean, tidy and warm with a good bath and shower facilities with ample hot water. Staff were very nice, leisure facilities were fine also.

If I was staying around Teesside again I would probably stay at a travel lodge or similar which is cheaper And probably includes breakfast ....

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
ParkmoreManagement, Owner at Best Western Parkmore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Thank you for your feedback.

The £102 rate you were quoted was actually a bed and breakfast rate, the £85 is room only.

We were glad that you found the Hotel clean, and the staff friendly. We do pride ourselves on our staff, cleanliness & food.

If you are back in the Teesside area, please give us another try & ask for a new room when you make your booking, so that you can see what our new, refurbished rooms are like.

Thank you again.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

We were married in this hotel in 2008, we have been back a few times since for special treats. However this visit we booked on-line. we requested a twin room and added in the notes that it was our 5th wedding anniversary and that we were married there, also asking for a "nice" room.
The room we got was a double room, overlooking the rear carpark next to the railway line.
Awful!
I suffer from anxiety so this is my worst nightmare- I cannot deal with confrontation so I cannot complain directly, i cannot ask for a room change. My point is i guess- i shouldnt have to tell them that this is a rubbish room and not the room I booked. They had my booking form in front of them, it was booked through Best Western website direct so there could be no loss in translation!

The health club was grubby, the ladies changing room was mouldy and no where to lock your clothes in. all the Cute touches have been removed (the bags for your swimwear) and we had to wait for towels.

The breakfast in the morning was rubbery, and the quality far below what we have experienced before and what you would expect from Best Western.
I emailed Best Western and the response was the standard "sorry" but nothing that would make me return here. All i can say really is that im gutted with our stay here.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
ParkmoreManagement, Owner at Best Western Parkmore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Thank you for your feedback.

We are very disappointed that you felt this stay did not live up to your expectations, or your previous visits. I can understand why you felt unable to raise the issue at the time, but if you had, we may have been able to move you to another room, that you would have been happier in.

Unfortunately, we now have to control the issue of wet costume bags, as other people were removing whole rolls at a time, but there is a notice in the changing rooms that they are available from the leisure club reception, as are the towels.

I was surprised by your comments about the cleanliness in the club, as we have an excellent team in there now, and the whole area is usually very clean. This issue will be taken up & investigated, so thank you for bringing it to our attention.

We hope that you will come back again, so that we can prove to you that this experience was a "blip" and not our usual standards.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

In Stockton area any way finding a good modern Hotel is difficult. This is an old property, without any elevator, so you need to take the stairs with luggage. Porter service is available on payable basis, the layout is bit complicated.
The bar kitchen opens after 6:30PM, but the staffs were generous enough to provide me an early meal on request. The kitchen is good. Breakfast is also nice.
Rooms are bit small but OK for short stay.
The basin tap although looks like having a mixture, but is actually having two separate streams hot & cold water - at least better than the previous style of two separate taps, which is unique in UK.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
ParkmoreManagement, Owner at Best Western Parkmore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Thank you for your feedback.

We are glad that you had an enjoyable stay at the Hotel. We aim to please & our staff will go out of their way to try and accommodate guest requests, whenever possible.

Portering services are available 24/7, and at no extra charge.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights with work. Allocated a small double room at the end of a corridor next to the fire door. Great, I thought, no noise from next door. How wrong I was. Turns out my room (127) suffered from constant noise from a heating/plumbing type installation and it sounded like water running through the radiator and water pipes, even when the radiatior was turned off. The room also had no view, as it faced onto a flat roof in the centre of the wings of the hotel, and needed a refurb, though was at least clean. After a dismal nights sleep I went to Reception and asked for a move. The young man on the desk (Chris) was very helpful and said leave it with him, he would sort it and I would definitely have a quieter room. So I packed and went off to work and when I returned I had been given a new room, to which my luggage had already been moved. This room was much bigger, refurbished and was on the side of the hotel overlooking the car park, but much quiter, and handier for the leisure club, which had a good range of facilities, all of which I used. Food at breakfast was plentiful and the service was quick, and the one bar meal we had there was also fine.

Room Tip: Avoid room 127 at all costs, it is NOISY! 137 is a good refurbed double.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately we did have a problem with the heating system in the part of the Hotel that houses room 127, but that has been rectified.

We have an ongoing refurbishment programme on the bedrooms, and 127 is one of the only rooms left to be refurbished in that corridor.

We are glad that Chris managed to move rooms for you, and that the rest of your stay was enjoyable.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed at Parkmore on several occasions for business trips, it's a perfect place to stay.
Rooms are fine if a bit average, the main thing I like is the food. I have had many meals and have never been disappointed.
The staff are excellent very friendly and hard working.
I would recommend this hotel without hesitation.

• Stayed: February 2013
ParkmoreManagement, Owner at Best Western Parkmore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Thank you very much for your feedback, it's great to know that you like the Hotel, and that you are being well looked after. Next time you stay with us be sure to ask for one of our new rooms when you make your reservation, so that you can see the look we are aiming for.

We have refurbished over 30 of our 55 rooms so far, and have a programme to complete more this year.

We look forward to welcoming you to the Hotel again in the near future.