“Disappointing overnight stay”

Best Western Parkmore Hotel
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Disappointing overnight stay”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Booked this hotel very much in a hurry and at the last moment and it was only after going on to Trip Advisor and reading the reports that I thought 'oh dear'

We arrived at the hotel to be given a room very much at the back and beyond of the hotel though many corridors. I thought the hotel had said in Trip Advisor if you are not satisfied with your room then ask for it to be changed. This we did and the only redeeming feature of this room was that there was not the walk to get to it. The room was supposedly 'refurbished'. Well if anyone had done such shocking and awful 'refurbishment' on my house I would have very quickly have gone either to Trading Standards or taken the company to court for the contravening the Trade Descriptions Act. The work was poorly done. The bathroom (room 119) had the most awful tiling. The towel rail was joined to the wall with a chunk of wood. The mastic around the tiles and the tiles were dirty. The carpets did not quite meet the walls and work of making a wardrobe was amateurish to put it bluntly.

The beds had bed spreads which appear to be used from one guest to the other. Normally you expect duvets and duvet covers which are changed with each guest.

The state of the Leisure Centre did not match up to the photographs on the web site and it too is in serious need of some work. Again here very amateurish work and work not completed.

When we arrived we asked the young receptionist about dinner. She said you would be better to book as I am sure the restaurant will be busy. This we did and to our surprise when we arrived in the restaurant we were the only two in the entire restaurant. When the food did come after a lengthy wait my steak was cold and extremely tough and even when the waitress asked us how our meal was we said it was fine as we were losing the will to live with all the delay and obvious lies about the number booked for that evening.

The night got even better. About 2 pm there was what appeared to be a party in the room next to ours. The noise was very loud and I even thought it was guests outside. This racket went on until 4 pm and during all of this time it was impossible to sleep. This added to my thoughts on the bed covers did not make for a restful night.

Just before we checked out I spoke to the one the staff and mentioned the noise and I was told 'oh that would be ....... he has just been on the X Factor. So according to this logic you can make whatever noise you feel like and other guests are expected to have their sleep disturbed for two hours and it is fine.

We were told breakfast was at 6.30 am. We arrived at the restaurant at 6.35 to be told that breakfast did not start until 6.45. Maybe somebody should have some training with their staff on joined up thinking. The buffet again left a lot to be desired. No semi skimmed milk and pitiful slithers of cheese which were dried out. The Danish pastries were obviously not fresh and looked positively dried out as well. The coffee was served in a very small pot and no mention of what type of coffee you would require was asked.

To be fair the staff that we met were friendly and helpful and even the young receptionist who was on duty at 9 pm was back the next morning working at 7 am so I feel the problems lie with the management and some serious staff training is required as well as not looking at the refurbished rooms through rose coloured spectacles and seeing the work as it really has been done.

I have experience of another three star Best Western Hotel in Edinburgh and I can assure you the standards there are very different from those we experienced at the Parkmore Hotel.

Room Tip: Maybe after some serious work has been done on this hotel it may be worth a visit. As the web site...
Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank scottishcatman
ParkmoreManagement, Front Office Manager at Best Western Parkmore Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. On behalf of our entire team we are sorry that certan aspects of your stay did not meet with your expectations.

Friday/Saturday evenings are very popular with diners/residents & we advise guests as they check in to book especially if guests book Dinner Bed & Breakfast.

We also appreciate that you mentioned we moved rooms for you, perhaps we could have offered another room as you were still not happy if we had known or even upgraded you to one of suites.

We apologise for any noise issues made by other residents and we treat all complaints of this issue the same. Our night porters/staff are fully trained in dealing with this and when brought to thier attention we act immediately at the time of the noise. We are sorry that this was not reported.

Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.

Yours Sincerely
Front of House Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Dubai
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Where to start? This place was the hotel of my nightmares!!!

Perhaps the child sized single bed with what looked like a nylon bedspread from the 1970's?
Or maybe the fact there was no air con and the windows opened about 10cm in case I should decide to throw myself from the first floor window?
Or how about the boom boom boom from the music in the bar below?
The decor and furniture, long overdue a refurb?
The food? Huge plate with an indentaion the size of a cup in the middle with a couple of cm of soup in it, or maybe the burger - still raw in the middle!
Or back to the bed, when I did eventually fall asleep about 3am (noise and indigestion) I woke at 6am feeling like I had run a marathon.

A client had booked me in for three nights, I left after the first, never to return!

Room Tip: Sub Travel Lodge quality at Best Western prices, but with a pool sums this place up...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank DubaiWeegie
ParkmoreManagement, Owner at Best Western Parkmore Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Thank you for taking time to provide your comments. We appreciate that some rooms in the hotel need refurbished to date we have over 50% of the bedrooms complete. (We do not advertise airconditioning at the hotel).

We have 24 hours reception and a Duty Manager allowing us the opportunity to rectify any problems our guests may have when they are in the hotel We may have been able to assist you while you were in the hotel if the issues were reported at the time.

Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensurewe offer a better experience for guests in the future.
Yours sincerely
Front of House Manager

Travelers are raving about these Stockton-on-Tees hotels

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2012

August 2012. Booked 2 nights left after 1. No sheets on bed, bathroom smells, tired 1980s room, Spinning roof fan noisy, room unclean, Alarm clock wired into wall waking us up and no instructions how to turn off, breakfast served on dirty plate, coffee stained table cloth, coffee spilt on my hand by waiter (who said oops), no lift, paper thin walls and you can here the noise from the function room. Terrible staff on reception not interested in our complaints and said they would "check if what we were saying was right"". Amazing. Oh and room like a sauna.
After complaining to best western was offered voucher for another night there !! You must be joking!!
Don't go there book into a premier inn and avoid disappointment. First time I have ever complained about a hotel and the worst one I have ever stayed in !
Only positive the gym.

Room Tip: Dont stay here
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mark S
ParkmoreManagement, Front Office Manager at Best Western Parkmore Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
We strive every day to provide good customer service. I am sorry we were not able to do that for you. It is our policy to assist with all issues while the guests are in the hotel. We acted immediately as soon as you brought any issues to our attention. (Fresh sheets were given and extra pillows etc.) Reception offered you an upgrade of room for the second night and apologised for any inconvenience. Also at check-out there was no mention of any other issues you had during your stay. We do not advertise a lift or air conditioning. Subsequently we have been in touch with you privately with a complimentary stay to which you rejected. We feel under these circumstances this is a reasonable offer.

rugeley
Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

Just had a 3 night stay here paying £60 a night which puts the Parkmore about on par with Premier Inn for cost and overall this was probably about right with some aspects much better than Premier Inn but others not as good.
Firstly the leisure club - this is superb and completely free to guests. A lovely pool, sauna, jacuzzi and more. I used it every day of my stay and it is excellent. Was fairly quiet too.
My room was situated at back of hotel- no outlook from window. It was a single room and was quite compact. Plenty of wardrobe and draw space, a reasonable shower and flat screen tv. Room got incredibly warm and I had to have air-con on all the time which was a bit noisy. Radio channels didn't work on freeview but there was an old fashioned radio alarm by bed. Quite good for listening to local stations. On one day housekeeping removed my towel and failed to replace it but this was quickly rectified by reception staff. Just glad I noticed before I got in shower!! Bed was a single - ok but have slept in bigger and comfier ones. Room in general was a bit battered around the edges but was spotlesy clean and tea, coffee etc replaced daily. Couldn't quite understand bar service late on Saturday night. When I bought a drink I asked for it to be charged to my room and showed man my pass card. He said this wasn't possible because I'd paid up front and insisted I pay cash- no problem however when someone else came in late 10 mins later he wanted to pay cash for a drink and was told that this wasn't possible and drinks could only be charged to rooms after midnight. The poor guy had to go without as his company was paying for the room and he couldn't add expenses to their account. Didn't try breakfast as this would have added £7 a day and there some good coffee shops in walking distance. Staff throughout the 3 days were lovely and really helpful. Let me leave my case there when I checked out and collect later and couldn't do enough throughout my stay.

• Stayed August 2012
ParkmoreManagement, Owner at Best Western Parkmore Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to complete your review here.

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope that we will see you back again in the future.
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights - checked in on Friday night, (3rd August) asked for a 6 am alarm call on Saturday morning. Hotel is dated, with awful orange-patterned carpets and stale smells, 1980s style wallpaper and doors that crash loudly . My room was on the first floor - if there was a lift, I wasn't told about it. After dropping off my things I went down too the bar and ordered a cheese and pickle sandwich which was supposed to come in thick sliced fresh bread - it was a standard supermarket sliced loaf, complete with pickle-fingerprints all over the edges of the plate - in fact there was more pickle here than in the sandwich, which was a rip -off at more than 4 pounds, and was accompanied by a small pot of coleslaw which I was apparently supposed to eat with my fingers. The hotel advertised wi-fi throughout - when I called down from my bed to ask if there was a problem because I couldn't log on, the receptionist first told me that there should be no problem and that I should try again and then called me back to say she had just heard that there WAS an issue and if I wanted to use the net I could come down to the lobby and use it there. I was already in my pyjamas, so didn't get to do any of my online work that evening. Turned the lights off and tried to sleep - the room was absolutely boiling, like a sauna. Got up and put the air conditioning on - after an hour in which the room got no cooler, and the noise had been like having a hair-dryer attached to a tin whistle going off in my ear every ten minutes, I got up and turned it off and opened the window. This was little help and I tossed and turned all night - I've had cooler evenings in high summer in Africa. The walls were so thin that every time the people in the room next door turned their bedside switches on and off I though someone was in my room. Alarm call came in at 6 04 according to the hotel's own bedside clock, got up and used the (acceptable) bathroom and shower, left for work - realised in the lobby that I hadn't closed my room window - went the reception and said I didn't have time to go back and close it myself so would they close it for me? Was told they would. Got back to the room that evening at 1am and the room had been tidied, but the window was still open. Still like a sauna. Went to get ready for bed, I had put my nightwear on top of my case on top of the case rest, and found I had only one slipper. My daughter was also staying that night and thought I had gone mad, saying no-one would want to steal one slipper - I agreed , but the slipper was gone. Looked everywhere - finally pulled the suitcase rest forward to find the stray slipper jammed down the back of it - clearly the maid had opened my case and the slipper had fallen down the back of this furniture when she did so and she hadn't realised. He/she had had NO reason to open my case. Set our own alarms for 8 am, tried to sleep in the sauna - awful night - then at 6 04 am, another wake up call came! Hung up and tried to sleep again. Useless. Both up and showered - both hot, bothered and, sorry, but soaked in sweat again 10 mins after the shower as the room was unbearably warm. Out to work - stopped at reception desk to complain about the second wake-up call and make sure it wouldn't happen again - lady responded with a couple of "oh dears", said she would make sure it wouldn't happen again, and as a bit of an afterthought said "sorry" as I walked away. Even my daughter commented that she had only just squeezed that in before we would have been ready to complain about the response to our complaint! Off to work again - back around 2 am to the sauna - realised you can actually feel the hotel getting warmer as you walk between the fire doors to the section that we were in - above the spa - this is clearly a continuous issue for those rooms ( which are probably above the pool) and if health and safety ever tried to put someone in one of those rooms for a night I am sure they would either close the hotel down or at least prevent those rooms from being sold to guests - it has got to be against all rules. Settled in knowing we could try to toss and turn again until 10 am as we were checking out and heading home. Not a chance - another 6 04 alarm call. Rang reception immediately to complain but this hotel does not seem to have trained its staff in customer service - the bloke who answered gave me the same "oh dear"s and tried to question me about the initial arrangements for the alarm call - as if I wanted to have this conversation at 6 am! - and I finally said something like " I think the phrase you are looking for is I'm sorry!" and hung up. Tried to get back to sleep but believe it or not the maid then knocked on the door at 9 am and we gave up and got up. To be fair to her this wasn't really her fault, as this hotel don't seem to think that they need to provide you with "Do Not Disturb" signs. Delighted to leave the sauna for the hot August sun outside, we put our stuff in the car and I went back in to try to speak to the manager. As I approached the desk, one member of staff was on the phone and the other was leaning on the desk looking past me at someone else in the reception area. Neither looked up or acknowledged me, so I actually physically leaned over and put my face in the leaning lady's line of vision so that she had to speak to me. No "Sorry" for this either. Speaking to the manager was apparently not possible and I had to wait until the other staff member on the phone was finished and speak to her. She listened with a serious expression, apologised and said she would pass on my complaints - but nothing was offered like, for example, a complimentary breakfast or bottle of water to help us recover from our sauna experience. I told her, and I stand by this, this was the worst hotel I have stayed at in Britain. I wish Health and Safety would go in and sort them out. The staff are not properly trained in basic customer service and take no notice at all of requests put in to the reception desk. Horrible. I'm exhausted after three sleepless nights there and I'll be so glad to go to my own bed tonight. Unless they put you in a re-furbished room away from the spa area DON'T stay here, and don't expect the staff to take any notice of your requests.

Room Tip: Get a re-furbished room away from the spa or none at all.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
We are sorry that you feel you have to write such a negative review on here.. Had you informed reception on the first morning of your concerns with the room, we would have endeavored to move you to a more comfortable room for you.

The weather in general has been hot and humid recently, and although the rooms at the back are close to the Leisure Club, this has no influence on the temperature in the rooms.

As previously said to you, we apologise for the error with the alarm calls, we are looking into how this was allowed to slip through our system.

I can assure you we have absolute trust in all our staff, and are regularly praised for their friendliness and customer service, and attention to detail, so we are deeply disappointed with your comments regarding the staff!

We appreciate that some areas of the Hotel do need to refurbished, and we are trying - in the current economic climate to achieve this as quickly as possible. To date we have updated all the public areas, the Leisure Club, and over 50% of the bedrooms. We are moving as quickly as is feasible considering the economic constraints we are under, and the fact that we are quite often full through the week.

I would suggest that if you have a problem in future you address them at the time, and ask for something to be done about it at the time, rather expect compensation at the end of your stay!
Chippenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Stayed at this hotel on business, it was in an ideal location and had plenty of car parking. The room was quite small with two single beds, I would prefer a double bed. The room had all the usual amenities, tea making, TV, ironing facilities, hair drier etc and was clean. The breakfast was ok, I arrived for breakfast at 8.45 and all the fresh fruit had gone and was not replenished, the full English was a little dried up but acceptable. The staff were friendly and helpful, when I arrived I expected a two night stay but was only booked for one(no fault of the hotel), the receptionist soon sorted it out and I was in for two nights, the bar is pleasant althoigh the setvice was extremely slow, the fitness centre facities are excellent. It was a pleasant stay but I feel the premises needs an uplift, very helpful and friendly staff though. Recommended for a short stay only.

• Stayed July 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback.

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope to see you back with us again in the near future.
Aberdeen
Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

Expensive for what it is. It has a leisure area which is exceptionally dated but useable. Wifi in the rooms is adequate and free which is in my opinion the way every business hotel should be. Food as the hotel is average and again in my opinion trying to be something it never will be. The town centre in Yarm is 800 yards away and has a great choice at very reasonable prices.

I just everything on value for money. In this cae I don't think I got that and would not return

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
ParkmoreManagement, Manager at Best Western Parkmore Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Thank you for your feedback.

We are constantly trying to improve our facilities, and have an ongoing refurbishment plan to update all our facilities, although as you can appreciate in this economic climate it is not a quick as we would like, but we do now have over 50% of all our rooms done, and all of the public areas. The Leisure Club is due to have it's annual refurbishment at the end of this month.

We have a young team in the kitchen, who have just finished putting together a new menu, based on feedback & requests from guests, which has gone down exceptionally well.

We hope that you will try us again in the future, and see & appreciate the changes.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockton-on-Tees
Claireville Hotel
Claireville Hotel
#7 of 9 in Stockton-on-Tees
Premier Inn Stockton-On-Tees West Hotel
Premier Inn Stockton-On-Tees Wes...
#4 of 9 in Stockton-on-Tees
Wynyard Hall
Wynyard Hall
#1 of 1 in Billingham
Premier Inn Stockton on Tees/Hartlepool Hotel
Premier Inn Stockton on Tees/Har...
#1 of 9 in Stockton-on-Tees

Been to Best Western Parkmore Hotel? Share your experiences!