“Back on form”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Tutbury, United Kingdom
“Back on form”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

My other half and I used to be regular visitors when we first moved to the area around 7 years ago. Back then the pub was (I believe) independent (or at least run that way). Excellent food and service. A few years ago it was taken over by Chef and Brewer and it went a bit down hill. Mentioned this one night to some of the Chef & Brewer Head Office folk who happened to be in the same night and shortly after everything took a big step in the right direction and we are now regulars again.

Currently: Excellent staff and service, delicious food especially if you check out the specials (not so gastropub) and good drinks selection. Not having stayed over I can't comment on the hotel but I would recommend to family/friends who need a place to stay.

Fareham, England, United Kingdom
“Fabulous”
Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

Took our children up to alton towers and found this hotel about 20 mins drive from the theme park and what a find it was absolutely stunning. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful the hotel was beautifully decorated and lovely and clean we ate in the restaurant and the food was fantastic I would highly recommend this hotel and would happily stay there again thank you for a lovely stay

Uttoxeter, United Kingdom
“Fish Pie Delight!”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Went for my Birthday treat 2nd July & glad I did. The food was lovely I had Fish pie it was piping hot and delicious. The Staff were very pleasant & helpful, the hotel was clean I didn't stay but the restaurant was very clean. Our drinks arrived quickly after ordering, the food took longer but as I said was worth it. I would recommend it to family & friends.

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“It's just OK”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Having lived in the village for many years I have eaten here on many occasions. There is obviously something about the place as we come back regularly but on exam occasion the device has either been very slow or the food is pretty average. I've certainly not had a quick meal here and this was another occasion - we desperately needed to be in and out in an hour so just had one course and still it ended up 15 mins over.

It was about 5 on a Saturday afternoon and not surprisingly it was nearly empty but when we said we didn't have a reservation it looked like there would be a problem. They found us a table in the empty dining area ANC then 5 mins later as we were to order we were told that the table had been booked so had to move to another table in the empty dining area next to it.

Drinks we ordered and arrived OK then the food order was taken. The food was all OK when it arrived - I just didn't think it was good for the money paid. I had the steak and pulled pork burger which was short if both steak and pulled pork in my opinion and chips lacked crispness. My wife and our friend had the mixed fried fish which was OK but a lot of batter de the sizes of the seafood - a tempura style batter would be better.

We were in a hurry by the end and asked for the bill - which didn't arrive so had to go up to the var to pay.

I expect we will be back as it's convenient but it needs to do something to start being the place to go because it's offering rather than location is the star attraction.

1 Thank Neale1810
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Worst dining experience of my life.”
Reviewed May 30, 2014

I visited the dog and partridge in May, we were a large group staying in the local area. Granted we were a large number so took this into account when ordering/waiting. Firstly after half an hour our drinks came. Mostly incorrect or dirty glasses with lipstick! Then another hour wait for our food which was frankly discusting. The jacket potato and beans had about 5 beans on it and was tiny and dried up, crayfish on a pork sandwich, greasy chicken kiev that was uneatable, two meals missing. No one came to take drinks orders so we waited at the bar, along with everyone else! We must have waited for twenty minutes here too. One lady came in from outside to say her olives had been half an hour! I would not return to this place if you paid me. The lady on front of house was the most miserable woman I've ever encountered. Such a shame as lovely building and surroundings.

• Visited May 2014