“Poor service, owner very unhelpful”

The Church Bar and Restaurant
Ranked #87 of 537 Restaurants in Stoke-on-Trent
Cuisines: British
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Poor service, owner very unhelpful”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

The Restaurant was one I had visited before and enjoyed, the food is good. However, during my last visit the service was very poor. As it was a weekday evening, there was only one other group in the Restaurant. I felt that we were rushed to eat and leave. My friend and I wanted to stay for a last drink and chat but we were told that the bar had been cashed up. this was before 10pm. Only when we said we would make a complaint were we offered a drink 'if we had the right money' to pay.
when a complaint was made to the owner, we were told that it was a restaurant not a bar. not once was an apology offered.
Prepare for a short night if dining during the week.

• Visited June 2013

Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom
“Less than ordinary!”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

The atmosphere in the restaurant is eerie to begin with, due to the high ceiling it was almost like being in a Wetherspoons as all you could hear was echoed chit chat. The wine list is inadequate for a restaurant of it's supposed standard as were the staff, we were in and out in 40 minutes and felt very rushed.

At no point were we asked how the meal was, even when my plate was collected after the main course with two thirds of the over cooked sirloin steak still on it along side a lump of gristle which was the last straw. As we left there was a party of 8 people outside waiting for taxi's and their murmurings were pretty much in the same vain. A first and only visit shame it had to be my partners birthday meal!

• Visited June 2013
“Very chilled and got that old retro feeling love it”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I was taken by my boyfriend for my birthday as a surprise and the thought was where he taking me to a church for but then when I entered I notice thst the venue wad done up as a old retro feel to it and it was a warm welcome through the door. It was quite but tge service was very nice, the waiters was very helpful with the choice of food including my partner is dairy intol so they inform whats best. The food was hot and freshly made great size portion and the deserts brought on a trowie very old fashion and love it def come back again and again thank you

• Visited May 2013
“With my blessings.”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

The Church is fairly new (at least to me). Set in an old church it is modern/Gothic inside (you'll understand when you visit) A good variety on the menu at reasonable prices. Out party all had different dishes and said that the quality was good. We went on a Tuesday night when there is a clairvoyant giving free ( I know) readings which adds to the party atmosphere. Excellent night out. If you are able there is an early evening menu/price, worth trying.

Visited May 2013
“The Jewel in the Crown”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We had such a wonderful time visiting The Church on the early May Bank Holiday. Service and food have always been good and they always go the extra mile to make you feel at home. Looking at the huge stained windows and the quirkyness of being in a church just added to the conversation around the table. The food arrived at the same time - I normally ask my friends if I could have a 'taster' of their various dishes - and it all tasted fantastic so I'm now a bit at loss what to pick from the menu next time I go. It is so worth the money and I can't wait to go again.

• Visited May 2013